Nate's Boxing Is So Overrated

He dominated guys like Michael Johnson and Cerrone on the feet using primarily just his boxing, that says something. You can criticize his technique all you want, and some of it is valid, but at the end of the day if you're judging by effectiveness his boxing has been proven to be very good.

You're not wining this argument by bringing up Johnson and Cerrone.

Cerrone's boxing is the worst part of his overall striking game.

Johnson has a shit fight IQ and abandoned the leg kick heavy gameplan that he was using to dominate Diaz in the first round of their fight after Diaz got in his head by taunting him. Johnson just started following him around and getting tagged up with the 1-2 at will.

Seriously, go watch Johnson's fight with Dariush, which he probably should've won, but ended up losing because Dariush was able to make him look so befuddled with the range finding jab that he was landing at will.

Last edited:
Anyways you can take this thread as a loss bud

happens to the best of us

So landing a 1,2 on an opponent automatically means you have great boxing skills? Okay then.

<36>

Out-boxing a guy that fan-boys thought would give a boxing GOAT a real fight is probably an indication that his boxing is pretty decent. That's exactly what happened that first fight.

But, like we said, you have that special kind of stupid that can't be taught, so I wouldn't expect you to grasp that.

I went balls deep into my last Nate thread.

balls

deep

my posts are gonna be much more on point and higher quality in there than I can produce right now.

Awesome. You think you can post the link so I take a look?

in laymans terms, its his inside boxing that is among the best in the sports history.

you are judging aspects of his game that aren't even things he does well

We all know he sucks at range, his head movement is non existent, his movement isn't great

{<huh}

In other words, you agree there are major holes in his boxing game.

Are we really gonna call someone a great boxer and also suggest they have shit movement, footwork and range? Lol

Don't think it's overrated, but other fighters Garbrandt and Masvidal has adjusted their boxing better into MMA than Nate. Having a strong clinch and inside boxing alone doesn't equal best boxing in MMA. Results speak for themselves.

Those are two examples. Give more. You are making it sound like i said its impossible for nate diaz to be outstuck. Stop being silly man. Majority of his losses come from people with yhe ability to control nate with strong grappling. We both know that is a fact.

I'll turn the question around. What elite level strikers has Nate beaten with his boxing?

Johnson and Cerrone are probably his two best performances, but those are both guys with serious deficiencies in their boxing games.

Nate's success against Conor only came when Conor was gassed.

Nate beat Pettis with clinch work after looking incredibly rusty and confused at range early in the fight.

Nate looked totally lost against Masvidal and tried to save face afterwards by pointing to punches that he was landing on Jorge off of his back.

Awesome. You think you can post the link so I take a look?

{<huh}

In other words, you agree there are major holes in his boxing game.

Are we really gonna call someone a great boxer and also suggest they have shit movement, footwork and range? Lol
yup because there are many styles that can be very effective

Nate does some beautiful work on the inside.

Many Mexican pro boxers have also had very plodding footwork, far from an Ali who just danced around the ring, countering off his back foot

But they threw down. Being pretty in everything you do as a boxer isn't everything. There are many ugly styles that can be highly effective.

I'm prob exaggerating a bit as well,, Nate is capable of fighting in the outside, but he just does his best work at close range.

too lazy and hungover to post the thread. It's in my profile

I'll turn the question around. What elite level strikers has Nate beaten with his boxing?

Johnson and Cerrone are probably his two best performances, but those are both guys with serious deficiencies in their boxing games.

Nate beat Pettis with clinch work after looking incredibly rusty and confused at range early in the fight.

Nate looked totally lost against Masvidal and tried to save face afterwards by pointing to punches that he was landing on Jorge off of his back.
Nate did rally in the 3rd against Mas. He landed a few clean flurries on him, prior to the takedown at the end he actually outlanded him in terms of clean strikes to the head. Jorge landed the most visibly damaging strikes , but it was close.

With Pettis, he fought in an orthodox stance as a means of initiating the clinch, he never had any intention of fighting Pettis at range where he could stick and move / throw kicks.

His boxing sucks from orthodox, it seemed like just a decoy to initiate the clinch and avoid the kicking game.

Conor is a reasonable frame of reference as well. Even if conditioning played a factor

according to Amir Khan he got the better of a 175lb boxing world champ in sparring, Andre Ward speaks highly of his ability to hang.

yup because there are many styles that can be very effective

Nate does some beautiful work on the inside.

Many Mexican pro boxers have also had very plodding footwork, far from an Ali who just danced around the ring, countering off his back foot

But they threw down. Being pretty in everything you do as a boxer isn't everything. There are many ugly styles that can be highly effective.

I'm prob exaggerating a bit as well,, Nate is capable of fighting in the outside, but he just does his best work at close range.

too lazy and hungover to post the thread. It's in my profile
Ah, I’m reminded of Mayorga. And then he got cocky with Felix Trinidad...and was never the same again.

Oh and good post. Cheers.

Those are two examples. Give more. You are making it sound like i said its impossible for nate diaz to be outstuck. Stop being silly man. Majority of his losses come from people with yhe ability to control nate with strong grappling. We both know that is a fact.
Masvidal is another example, not a ton of grappling in that fight.
Conor too, but that second fight was really close because his gas tank sucks. I don't see you putting a ton of effort in your posts and you're demanding examples?

So as I have said before...... Nates boxing is OVERRATED. Did you miss that part?
You got lost arguing about it for some reason.
Im not even a fan of the dude. His style is ugly, he is slow and looks uncoordinated. Come on, read before arguing!
You still have failed to point out that strong grappling based fighters are the majority of Nate's losses. You cannot dispute that no matter hlw hard you try to downplay my responses.
Can he be outstruck? Yes, of course man! That tends to happen when other fighters are better than you in the stand up.
Now all the sudden you ask me about elite strikers and silly things like that. Nates boxing is overrated but it doesnt mean he isnt good dude. He has a chance to hang with a lot of people on the feet and ots almost a forgone conclusion that NATE WILL LOSE against a grappler based fighter who knows how to strike. That does NOT mean that nate cannot be outpointed on the feet. No one ever said that buddy. Im not being mean, i just think you are taking what was said out of context.
Nate has lit a lot of people up on the feet, and it looks ugly but still works.
Nate vs strikers does WAY BETTER than Nate vs grapplers.

Masvidal is another example, not a ton of grappling in that fight.
Conor too, but that second fight was really close because his gas tank sucks. I don't see you putting a ton of effort in your posts and you're demanding examples?
Out of 12 losses, you gave very few examples, thats why i asked for more. Look at all his losses, not 4 or 5 bro.

Diaz brothers dont have the sharpest punches but they have good boxing i.q, are tough as nails and have great cardio.

Not the prettiest to look at but they are effective boxers. No secret most MMA fighters cannot hang with them in the pocket.

Out-boxing a guy that fan-boys thought would give a boxing GOAT a real fight is probably an indication that his boxing is pretty decent. That's exactly what happened that first fight.

But, like we said, you have that special kind of stupid that can't be taught, so I wouldn't expect you to grasp that.

<RomeroSalute>

I think you’re mistaken Nate for Nick. Only questionable decision loss I can think off the top my head was against Guida & Conor. Other than that most of his decision losses were very clear losses.
GrAY MAYNARD. Nate could easily have won a title by beating Frankie Edgar.

For all of the people implying Nate is a great boxer because of his extraordinary in-the-pocket boxing skills, are we also going to go back to suggesting Ronda Rousey was a phenomenal boxer now because she dropped opponents from inside the clinch? I mean after all, her boxing was effective as well, right?

I just want to know where we stand.

So because there were braindead faboys believing the hype about Conor being competitive vs Floyd we need to asume Diaz is a good boxer? That logic is strange.

The media hyped Conor up to sell tickets and make money, Floyd hyped Conor up to have an easy payday. Conor hyped Conor up to make money.

Everyone with one iota of stand up knowledge knew that Conor wouldnt cut it in amateur or pro boxing not even talking about Floyd. If we go by media and fanboy hype Ronda had world class boxing skills.

People always talk about Amir Khan giving respect to Nates boxing. Watch the video. Amir talks highly of Nate and then later on they show Nate doing pad work. Bad doesnt even name it.

You can work on different things with pads. Speed, Combos, awareness...etc but in general you throw like in a fight. Nate doesnt even move his head of centerline. Its a really bad display of skill. The pad guy tried to sell Nates boxing to the camera in a pretty desperate way to make up for it.

Still. Nate has a good 1-2 and feel of distance. Just nothing else and no way of adapting if it doesnt work.

Boxing is, in the end, quite simple. Nate has a lot of weaknesses, but he's got good timing, good reach, a good 1-2, and he's very game. That, combined with tons of experience, is enough to make him a "good boxer." Not great or close to it, no, but good.

From a technical standpoint, it's not great. However, both he and his brother, when they're on point can pick people apart and frustrate the shit out of them to the point they can't really fight back

Back