Need a new laptop - any recs?

Dell XPS 17 2020 is the right choice for designers. Excellent, bright, color accurate screens that can go up to 4k. Premium build quality and even has optional GPU power if you want.
Looks sexy af too:
mchin_181005_4093_0001.0.jpg
T-IJIQ.gif

Do laptop batteries get swollen like cellphone batteries?

I’ve been using a MacBook for the past 8 years and am pretty happy with it - unfortunately a portion of the laptop stopped working recently

I basically just use it for advertising for work, sherdog, and basic web surfing so don’t need anything too fancy for gaming or something

Any recs on which model to buy and where is the best place to purchase from ?
I'd stick with Mac if you have a lot of other Apple stuff in your arsenal. I have both here but prefer Apple over PC based laptops. If you DO decide to go PC, do NOT buy a Razer. Their customer service is absolute shit.

MacBook Pro
At this point I'd avoid apple until they release their own chipsets again. And even then it's a wait and see.
But that could be this year or sometime next year as there is rumor of delays.

I’ve been using a MacBook for the past 8 years and am pretty happy with it - unfortunately a portion of the laptop stopped working recently

I basically just use it for advertising for work, sherdog, and basic web surfing so don’t need anything too fancy for gaming or something

New Macbook Air just came out, i love it as usual. I got the quad core, sometimes I have Garageband going while I'm watching something on a dual monitor, the fan works pretty hard then but it doesn't seem to struggle.

Lol yeah just get a 16 inch MacBook pro then

TS asks for a basic laptop to browse Sherdog and do some web surfing...

Suggests a $1500+ laptop..

069.jpg
You sound poor.
And he's got a MacBook, doubt he's looking for the cheapest deal out there.

At this point I'd avoid apple until they release their own chipsets again. And even then it's a wait and see.
But that could be this year or sometime next year as there is rumor of delays.
You should definitely purchase a MBP

Get yourself a nice HP Stream. 4 GB of ram, 32 GB EMMC soldered on storage and an intel Celeron N3060 processor all for the low low price of 330 bucks!

If you're not tied to specific software then I'd recommend a MacBook Air. Unmatched service that you can bring to an Apple store. When Covid allows it that is.

I have one and it's still working after 10 years.
I work for one of Apple's Authorized Providers which allows us to repair and fix iPhone and iPads either COD or with Applecare I can tell you this is furthest from the truth. Apple's own internal repair service isn't the greatest and we have had a lot of issues when sending items out to them to have them repaired or replaced if we are unable to do it in store. Also the people you speak to when calling 1-800-My-Apple are more often than not not even employed by Apple directly and will give out false information the majority of the time. At least 10-15 times a week I have people who come in who were told by Apple support wrong information. Also the system we use GSX for Apple repairs is outdated, and prone to hiccups all the time.

Last edited:
You sound poor.
And he's got a MacBook, doubt he's looking for the cheapest deal out there.
I sound poor?

You're the moron suggesting laptops that doesn't fit at all the criteria TS is looking for.

It's to avoid it because apple is more likely to drop support on Intel Macs before they drop support for 2020/2021 Arm/apple chipsets.
I would still suggest a MacBook brother

I sound poor?

You're the moron suggesting laptops that doesn't fit at all the criteria TS is looking for.

Anything with decent build quality and specs is going to be over $1.2k
Sure, you can buy a budget PC laptop for $600 but its going to be made of plastic and feel cheap.
You get what you pay for.
He's getting a Macbook anyway so your logic of "TS wants best budget PC laptop" goes out the window.
I just do this for a living, what do I know. o_O

Anything with decent build quality and specs is going to be over $1.2k
Sure, you can buy a budget PC laptop for $600 but its going to be made of plastic and feel cheap.
You get what you pay for.
He's getting a Macbook anyway so your logic of "TS wants best budget PC laptop" goes out the window.
I just do this for a living, what do I know. o_O
I also do this for a living and a laptop that costs nearly $2000 isn't the first thing that comes to mind for someone who's looking to browse a karate forum and surf the web.

We know now that he's getting Macbook but we did not know that initially.

You can't go wrong with MSI laptops, they're pretty rugged & the specs are great.

I bought mine 2nd-hand but still under warranty. On the last day of the 3yr warranty I contacted MSI regarding a couple of sticky keys on the keyboard, they replaced the whole keyboard free of charge. Good aftersales service is everything.

Scored a pretty sweet deal

Big thanks to all everyone for all the very valuable input

got $150 odd and a free pair of AirPods as a student ... they asked for no proof of any kind

Get a PC so you can buy a new one in a year or two when it bugs out on you.

Back