Need Some Travel Advice From The Sherdog Amateur Travel Agents

Thats sounds right. I guess I'm comparing it to Chicago where it can vary so wildly in December. One year it be in the 30s... The next year it could be the 50s.... It all depends on the week too. It could be 60 one day and drop to 30 and snow the next. I'm sure NYC benefits from the Atlantic tempering that sometimes.

Ya - it's not nearly as cold as Chicago. I've been going to Chicago every weekend post Thanksgiving fro 17 yrs and it can be brutally cold. Rarely gets that cold in NYC.

Charleston isn't on my radar. Is there a reason why it should be? I don't know much about it. I'm always down for other suggestions not listed.
If you decide on Chicago, let me know. I'll tell you exactly where to avoid too lol

If you decide on Chicago, let me know. I'll tell you exactly where to avoid too lol
I think I'll get an airbnb in Riverdale or Fuller Park. Maybe Englewood. How's that sound, man?<Gordonhat>

I think I'll get an airbnb in Riverdale or Fuller Park. Maybe Englewood. How's that sound, man?<Gordonhat>
Englewood or Austin neighborhoods sound good, if you want the full Chiraq experience.

Englewood or Austin neighborhoods sound good, if you want the full Chiraq experience.
What's the likelihood I get robbed/shot walking down a street in Englewood at 2am? 85%? 90?

Weather is the one thing I'm worried about. I know nothing about East Coast winters being a California boy born and raised. I don't own any coats just like a couple hoodies and maybe a bomber jacket lol
I went to Boston and New York in December of 2016. In Boston, it alternated between 60F degree days and colder weather. In New York it was cold AF and snowing. But generally, NY has slightly milder winters than Boston. I think climate change is making these things a bit more unpredictable. But definitely be prepared for cold weather. Personally, I think both Boston and New York are transitioning to more subtropical climates. In the future, they'll probably have the type of winters that you used to get in the Carolinas.

Have you thought about the Paris of the east coast?
Come here and check out Baltimore. It's an adventure here.

I spent a couple days in Baltimore and I had a great time and thought it was pretty cool. But that was back in 2001 so it could be a lot different now.

Thats sounds right. I guess I'm comparing it to Chicago where it can vary so wildly in December. One year it be in the 30s... The next year it could be the 50s.... It all depends on the week too. It could be 60 one day and drop to 30 and snow the next. I'm sure NYC benefits from the Atlantic tempering that sometimes.
Oh, Chicago is much worse in the winter than New York or Boston because of the lack of an ocean, plus the lake-effect snow and wind. It's also a bit more hot and humid in the summer. Great city, but the weather is among the worst.

I spent a couple days in Baltimore and I had a great time and thought it was pretty cool. But that was back in 2001 so it could be a lot different now.
I went there twice around 2004 and got the same impression. I know the crazy shit creeped into the nice parts of the city a few years ago, but I think that's died down since then and there are still nice parts of the city like around Camden Yards.

Oh, Chicago is much worse in the winter than New York or Boston because of the lack of an ocean, plus the lake-effect snow and wind. It's also a bit more hot and humid in the summer. Great city, but the weather is among the worst.
Yep, and that's why I gtfo from there. That and and the boring geography

Thanks for the info man. I wasn't aware that New Orleans was sketchy like that so close to the tourist areas. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
I used to travel to NO for work. Without fail about a week later my credit card would become compromised. The wait staff at the restaurants or the hotel staff, Hell, maybe even the clerk at the convenience stores were skimming it. I don’t know where it would happen but it happened so much over there. It was a runnning joke that we were going to NO just because I wanted a new Card.

Last edited:
I went to Boston and New York in December of 2016. In Boston, it alternated between 60F degree days and colder weather. In New York it was cold AF and snowing. But generally, NY has slightly milder winters than Boston. I think climate change is making these things a bit more unpredictable. But definitely be prepared for cold weather. Personally, I think both Boston and New York are transitioning to more subtropical climates. In the future, they'll probably have the type of winters that you used to get in the Carolinas.

I think we're in for an early fall and probably an early winter this year..... at least where I live now (Alabama). It's mid august now and this is ALWAYS the hottest part of the summer. But for the past 3 weeks it's been really mild and the leaves are already starting to turn colors and fall off the trees. And I've been seeing yellow butterflies everywhere (old farmers around here say that's a sign fall is almost here).

Idk if the Northeast is having the same kind of mild august we are or not. But I suspect down here we are in for a very bad winter this year.

Last edited:
This December will mark 7 years with my girlfriend, we didn't get to do much last year as money was a lot tighter. Money situation has improved a lot this year and I want to treat her to a nice vacation. Money is good, but not great so I want to stay within the US but that's fine as neither of us has traveled much within the states anyway.

I've been considering a couple locations and it seems New Orleans, Miami, and New York are three cool tourist locations that neither of us have been to. Does anyone have any opinions on any of these places in terms of tourism appeal? Safety and comfort? Hotels, attractions, etc.. Alla that.

Also, I know travel agents are seldom used in 2018 but given my lack of experience with travel I thought it may be a good idea? Suggestions would be great. I know next to nothing about travel, just looking to have a good time.

Any advice is appreciated!

You're welcome to stay at my place bro

I used to travel to NO for work. Without fail about a week later my credit card would become comprised. The wait staff at the restaurants or the hotel staff, Hell, maybe even the clerk at the convenience stores were skimming it. I don’t know where it would happen but it happened so much over there. It was a runnning joke that we were going to NO just because I wanted a new Card.

Dude! I forgot to tell @Arkridge this happened to me last time I was in NO too! No joke. I was drunk as hell and talking to everybody I met so I figured when I went to an atm somebody must've been watching. But my card wasn't missing. But a couple days later I'm back home and check my online banking and I've got like $1500 worth of charges at 3 different Wal Marts in Sliddell (a town outside of New Orleans). I'm like wtf!?

I called the bank and told them it wasn't me, and they said realistically they doubt they would be able to reimburse me since whoever used it knew my pin code, and the fact that I actually WAS in NO at the time. I said look at this with me bro, somebody went on a shopping spree to 3 different WAL MARTS! Does that make sense to you that I would leave Mississippi (where I was living then) and go all the way down to NO, and buy $1500 worth of shit at WAL MART?! I have a Wal Mart in MY town! I ended up getting the money back, thankfully. Never did figure out how my card got compromised and the bank didn't seem to have a clue either. I've always wondered what the thieves bought too, lol. Never did find out.

Just another reason New Orleans sucks.

Dude! I forgot to tell @Arkridge this happened to me last time I was in NO too! No joke. I was drunk as hell and talking to everybody I met so I figured when I went to an atm somebody must've been watching. But my card wasn't missing. But a couple days later I'm back home and check my online banking and I've got like $1500 worth of charges at 3 different Wal Marts in Sliddell (a town outside of New Orleans). I'm like wtf!?

I called the bank and told them it wasn't me, and they said realistically they doubt they would be able to reimburse me since whoever used it knew my pin code, and the fact that I WAS in NO at the time. I said look at this with me bro, somebody went on a shopping spree to 3 different WAL MARTS! Does that make sense to you that I would leave Mississippi (where I was living then) and go all the way down to NO, and buy $1500 worth of shit at WAL MART?! I have a Wal Mart in MY town! I ended up getting the money back, thankfully. Never did figure out how my card got compromised and the bank didn't seem to have a clue either.

Just another reason New Orleans sucks.
Yeah. You need to be careful there. There are a bunch of fucking scammers and thieves in NO. Just getting my card compromised all those times left impression on me. I never want to visit that place outside of work.

Yeah. You need to be careful there. There are a bunch of fucking scammers and thieves in NO. Just getting my card compromised all those times left impression on me. I never want to visit that place outside of work.

I hated it down there. I mean I had a blast, each time I went. But I was younger and dumber then. And even then I was always ready to leave after 2 or 3 days. And I never want to go back.

And I'm usually pretty careful. I get fucked up as hell and do dumb stuff but not when it comes to my safety or my wallet/ cards. I caught a girls hand in my back pocket trying to get my wallet down there once. I just moved her hand and smiled and wagged my finger in her face, lol. But somehow somebody got my credit card info without ever getting my actual card. It might be like you said, maybe a place I scanned it at copied it or something. I have no idea.

Anyway, I've been advising TS not to go down there, especially since he's taking his gf.

I think we're in for an early fall and probably an early winter this year..... at least where I live now (Alabama). It's mid august now and this is ALWAYS the hottest part of the summer. But for the past 3 weeks it's been really mild and the leaves are already starting to turn colors and fall off the trees. And I've been seeing yellow butterflies everywhere (old farmers around here say that's a sign fall is almost here).

Idk if the Northeast is having the same kind of mild august we are or not. But I suspect down here we are in for a very bad winter this year.
I was mostly in Boston between June 28-August 08 of this year. There was South Florida-type heat and humidity almost every day. The temperature was over 100F one day. The heat index was often that high or close to it. It was also unusually hot and humid in London. Climate change is coming for that belt... :D

I think we're in for an early fall

The direction of wind, that has historically only changed late september, has already shifted in the beginning of August.

and probably an early winter this year.....

This^^^ part is unlikely. The pattern the last few years is erratic changes with the summer being pushed out into late September.

In a WTF moment, last October I went swimming in Lake Huron. October.

New York. .. subtropical? You're kidding aren't you? Which subtropical location has outdoor ice skating rinks for 4 months a year.
On topic. I hate New York but if you're looking for a holiday with plenty of cool stuff to do, great food and nightlife it's petty hard to beat.

Back