Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 9, 2020

First Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's DUNE Promises an Epic Sci-Fi Saga

Update: November 21, 2016

Legendary Acquires DUNE Movie and Television Rights

Legendary-Entertainment-Dune-Dragonlord.jpg

A new visit to the planet of Arrakis is being planned. Legendary has picked up the film and television rights to Dune, the classic science-fiction novel by Frank Herbert, the company announced Monday.

Legendary said its agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience.

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

Dune was an instant success in sci-fi critics circles when it was first published in 1965, but took a few years before it hit mainstream success. By then, Herbert had spun the novel into an epic book series and into a franchise that has lived beyond his death in 1986.

Dune was adapted into a movie by director David Lynch in 1984. It was poorly received, although it later developed a cult following. The bomb was a culmination of almost 15 years’ worth of development by several filmmakers to bring the story to the big screen, with an infamous attempt by cult director Alejandro Jodorowsky. That attempt was recorded in the 2013 documentary Jodorowsky's Dune.

Legendary Entertainment Acquires Rights to Frank Herbert's Classic Sci-Fi Novel 'Dune'

I happen to have some lovely swamp land that I think might interest the good folks at Legendary.

Whoa whoa whoa, what? Oh man, I'm so in as long as they don't screw it up. Give me the prequel House books.

I think doing it as a film won't work. Lynch's attempt suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked and none of the other versions ever got off the ground. The book is simply too dense with tons of philosophy and abstractions that are an integral part of they story.

The prequels are cancer.
See, the reason I want the prequels and not the actual story itself is that I've been burned too many times by video games (although Dune 2 was excellent), passable miniseries, and difficult to swallow movies. Jodorowsky's Dune was the best Dune movie yet. That way, if they screw them up, it won't break my heart again.

Dune as a showtime/HBO show would be better than a movie

Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are excellent books. Need to make a tv mini-series, imo.

I'd rather a well done tv series.

I like the odd movie, but I'm more of a tv guy. I like having a long time to get invested in the characters and story.

<3 Dune but if they do a TV series and get to Messiah I don't know if I'll be able to stick around.

This is greatest moment of my life.

Dune as a showtime/HBO show would be better than a movie

I voted movies but this was something I didn't consider.

I liked the mini series the sci fy channel did a while ago with William hurt :)

If I ever see Kevin Anderson, I'm touching him with the jab.

Yes, certainly. The mini series was 100x better than the movie.

If I ever see Kevin Anderson

tumblr_m3bzi2MkMa1qzmq8io1_500.gif

And yes, the 2000 miniseries was excellent IMO.the only weakness I thought it had was a limited budget making for some sets and special effects of questionable quality.

First book should be a trilogy. Else to much will be lost.

imo it would work better as a hbo or netflix show.

Back