New equipment advices needed

Italianfighter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a new pair of gloves both for bag and sparring.

I was thinking to buy a Sabas pro series laced 16oz for bag work and a 16oz velcro Ring to Cage for sparring.

I'm 85-90 kg, I punch hard, have issues in one hand, that's why I would like to use 16oz or more for bag, to be 100% sure I can punch full power without any worries.

I asked to Sabas they would suggest me the pro series 16oz, for them is the best for bag better than super soft.

What about pro series prime? Are they less padded than pro series?

As for sparring I was thinking to Ring to cage C17 Japanese style they are very soft and price is awesome, found them for 75 dollars.

Do you think I'm fine with these gloves? Are ring to cage suitable for bag work or too soft?

I've heard that too soft gloves (winning too) aren't the best for heavy bag. Unfortunately nobody have these gloves in my gym to try them before buying....

If you have any advices please tell me!

Last edited:
Yeah, you are fine with those two gloves for the stated purposes. They're both nice models. The softness shouldn't be a big deal, especially since you need a soft glove because of hand issues. Either glove could be dedicated to sparring / bag work.

Thanks for your reply!

I need also a new headgear, undecided between Cleto Reyes traditional face bar, or Winning FG2900. I've seen a lot of reviews of Winning F2900, not so many about Cleto Reyes, but it looks very nice and compact. Any suggestions for it? I found the Cleto Reyes for 163 USD and few dollars more for Winning, money here don't count since I prefer safety.

I wouldn't consider the FG5000 since it looks to big.

Last edited:
Don’t buy Sabas. There are a number of negative reviews of the gloves when used for bag work. They don’t last very long. Search the forums and you shall find the truth.

Don’t buy Sabas. There are a number of negative reviews of the gloves when used for bag work. They don’t last very long. Search the forums and you shall find the truth.

I have seen one review on Sabas pro series in which the owner complained about padding durability, but in the review they also talked that was an old version of pro serie glove... was the review yours?

Any suggestions after Sabas for heavy bag?

Last edited:
I have seen one review on Sabas pro series in which the owner complained about padding durability, but in the review they also talked that was an old version of pro serie glove... was the review yours?

Any suggestions after Sabas for heavy bag?
Yeah, that was mine. Just do a search of Sabas, and there are scattered comments about quality issues and durability. It's your money, so you can take the risk, but I would avoid, especially if you punch hard. The padding will not last.

If you want a 16oz. for the heavy bag, the Fairtext BGL7/BGV9(?), the mexican style gloves are very good, I think. They don't feel as comfortable as the Sabas, but they'll last a lot longer.

Also FG5000 is not significantly bulkier than the Cleto Reyes facesaver. It is actually lighter and more comfortable, in my opinion... I have all three head gears. If you're looking for protection, go with the FG5000; if comfort go with the FG2900.

Obviously, this is just my advice, take with a grain of salt. Others will have different opinions.

Do you play just boxing or MMA?

I'm asking this because actually I'm in a MMA gym, as for FG5000 I would be worried about downside visibility for kiks, since bar is very large. That's my only concern. Cleto Reys traditional (not the new version) looks slimmer than FG5000 although it weights more...

What about nose protection of FG2900? Some say it protects nose too

How long you your Sabas pro series lasted?

As for a pair of Winning 16oz gloves for bag work how long they should last?

Do you play just boxing or MMA?

I'm asking this because actually I'm in a MMA gym, as for FG5000 I would be worried about downside visibility for kiks, since bar is very large. That's my only concern. Cleto Reys traditional (not the new version) looks slimmer than FG5000 although it weights more...

How long you your Sabas pro series lasted?

As for a pair of Winning 16oz gloves for bag work how long they should last?
MS600s on the heavy bag seems like a waste of money. Idk how long they’d last because I haven’t tried. I’m realizing that it is simply not worthwhile to spend a great deal of money on gloves for the bag.

My Sabas ProSeries lasted for a few months. Probably a solid three months? After that they were falling apart but I used them for another five until the padding completely disintegrated in the knuckle area. My Supersofts 2.0 lasted for a month before I noticed the padding flattening out.

I do stand-up. If you’re worried about vision with the FG5000 then the Reyes will not be for you either (I have the traditional style). Just get the FG2900.

1 months for a pair of gloves is very very bad! Did you use supersoft with bag too?

I'm only worried from pictures and reviews since unfortunately never had them in hands.... so I may be wrong. Do you play only boxing or kiks too?

Ok you have my same feeling about buying winning gloves for bag....

What about Rival Rb10 intellishock bag gloves? I hate their design, but maybe since they are made for bag they should stand? (read some bad reviews about them too, and they are also quite expensive for china made products but someone say they are high quality...)

I have Fairtex BGV9 for heavy bag / pads they are great gloves. I have only had them a few months but really like them and for the price (direct from Thailand) look amazing quality.

Absolutely no good for sparing though

I have Fairtex BGV9 for heavy bag / pads they are great gloves. I have only had them a few months but really like them and for the price (direct from Thailand) look amazing quality.

Thanks for your reply, don't know anything about them. How much did you pay? I would prefer a laced glove for bag, I've just google them but I have seen only velcro version.. do exist laced version too?

1 months for a pair of gloves is very very bad! Did you use supersoft with bag too?

I'm only worried from pictures and reviews since unfortunately never had them in hands.... so I may be wrong. Do you play only boxing or kiks too?

Ok you have my same feeling about buying winning gloves for bag....

What about Rival Rb10 intellishock bag gloves? I hate their design, but maybe since they are made for bag they should stand? (read some bad reviews about them too, and they are also quite expensive for china made products but someone say they are high quality...)
Yeah, I was stupid and used the Supersofts on the bag... I do traditional boxing, no kicks...

Yeah, don't waste your money on Winning MS600s for the bag.

I haven't tried a lot of Rival. I think they all look really tacky (especially with the mesh). I have tried on Rival gloves, but never liked them enough...

For the heavy bag, just keep it simple: find a glove that will be durable. If you develop proper punching technique, then you should be able to punch the bag with most gloves. I have been using old school Everlast bag mitts recently and they have worked just as well as my MS300 fight gloves.

I've got the lace-up BGL7 version. I'm planning on doing a review at some point in the near future. For the heavy bag, they certainly get the job done.

My BGV9 were about GBP 68 all in

How long have you been using them?
I've had them since late November—so about four months. They have been through a ton of abuse, though, and they remain in great condition (minus the outward appearance). The padding remains sound, the stitching is all still in place. No indications that it is going to fall apart anytime soon... The leather is dirty, though, but that's because I got a white pair.

I've had them since late November—so about four months. They have been through a ton of abuse, though, and they remain in great condition (minus the outward appearance). The padding remains sound, the stitching is all still in place. No indications that it is going to fall apart anytime soon... The leather is dirty, though, but that's because I got a white pair.

So much better than Sabas.... where did you buy them? How much?

What weight would you suggest for me?

Thanks for the info!

So much better than Sabas.... where did you buy them? How much?

What weight would you suggest for me?

Thanks for the info!
I just stick to 16oz. out of habit. You can just google and find a seller from Thailand. You could also search forums. They’re not magical gloves but they’ll get the job done.

Back