New law bans California employers from asking applicants about prior salary

kuromusha

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
California employers can no longer ask job applicants about their prior salary and — if applicants ask — must give them a pay range for the job they are seeking, under a new state law that takes effect Jan. 1.

AB168, signed Thursday by Gov. Jerry Brown, applies to all public- and private-sector California employers of any size.
The new bill goes further by prohibiting employers, “orally or in writing, personally or through an agent,” from asking about an applicant’s previous pay. However, if the applicant “voluntarily and without prompting” provides this information, the employer may use it “in determining the salary for that applicant.”
http://www.sfgate.com/business/netw...California-employers-from-asking-12274431.php

Good? Bad? Do you think this will cause employers to lower wages? Will higher-level jobs become more competitive?

Personally, I think it's great. I don't see the point of employers asking how much I made prior to working with them. It's just another way for them to take advantage of their future employees.

I think it's ok.

Most employers ask for 2 reasons;

1. To see if they can low ball the fuck out of you.
2. To weed out people that make more than they plan to offer.

I guess this law will cause employers to provide a more reasonable first offer in fear of losing a potential employee.

What employer asks that sort of question anyway? Seems like a question an unqualified can would ask

Except for obvious outliers I don't see how this really changes much.

I'm going to start my own company and declare myself as head of international logistics and interpersonal communications. Sit on it for a few years and then go apply to for a high up position at a multinational corporation. I'll let my sherbrah's know how it goes.

Most companies make you sign a NDA (probably doesn't apply to lower level or unskilled positions) to prevent employees from disclosing said information to competition and other colleagues -- so they can't really verify it either way if a potential employer asks in an interview. So, just lie if you think it will work for you

Already law in NY. As an HR professional it's a pain in the dick. I don't ask so I can lowball you, I ask so I don't waste your time and my time.

Already law in NY. As an HR professional it's a pain in the dick. I don't ask so I can lowball you, I ask so I don't waste your time and my time.
Do you have to ask what someone USED to make? Can't you get the same answer when you guys talk about the salary they expect to make?

I think the employer asking can help the employee. If they want me, this is the money I need to make, or I'm finding another guy that wants me.\

Also, if you don't want to answer, you don't have to answer every question. Just tell them you'd rather not say, if you don't want to tell them how much you make. But tell them what you need to make.

I think the employer asking can help the employee. If they want me, this is the money I need to make, or I'm finding another guy that wants me.

I guess it could work like that, but in most cases, asking only benefits the employer.

Let's say I interview for a position. Chances are, the employer already knows what kind of salary they'd like to provide. Let's say he plans to pay 100k. Although the employee is more than qualified, he only makes 60k. The first offer will probably drop to like 65-70k.

I see nothing wrong with this. Who would believe them anyway?

Why does the state of california feel the need to intervene here?

Oh that's right it's run by leftists.

I guess it could work like that, but in most cases, asking only benefits the employer.

Let's say I interview for a position. Chances are, the employer already knows what kind of salary they'd like to provide. Let's say he plans to pay 100k. Although the employee is more than qualified, he only makes 60k. The first offer will probably drop to like 65-70k.
That's where I wouldn't tell them.

I'd just say, I'd rather not give out that information.

I get it

But it also sucks as I'm making plenty more than what an engineer 2 years out of college should be. I like it when a recruiter gets to that and goes "oh..."

At least then I know not to waste my time interviewing at a company that won't pay me at least what I already make, and that if a place wants me they have to beat that

I understand being on the other side of the industry average line would hurt ability to climb above it

Classical Liberalism in action as usual in the state of California.

Couldn't you simply reword the question to "we plan to offer a qualified candidate 80-90k, would that be what you're interested in?"

Then you're still not waisting anybody's time. If he's making 120k he's gonna say sorry and then it ends. If he's making 60k he's gonna say yeah and you don't know you could've gotten him for 70k

It's just forcing the employer/recruiter to show their hand first instead of the employee

So simply say how much the position pays upfront.

Back