*NEW* My True Protein Custom PWO Formula

Pyro, GotBanned, Ion Exchange Isolate is actually inferior to Microfiltration Isolate. Ion Exchange Isolate uses an electrically charged (ion) buffer to separate the protein from the lactose and fats. Microfiltration uses a tiny rivulet system (basically a super-fine coriander sort of thing) to separate these. The result is CFM aka Microfiltration protein retains its natural amino acid profile (and better taste).

GotBanned, in regards to hydrolysates, I don't think they're a magic pill. Eating is the key. But this thread is partly about the joy of learning. It's almost a way of making a game out of all the nutritional theory I've absorbed in order to further my training progress. This thread is about fun AND effectiveness. And, for perspective, Stuart Phillips and John Berardi might disagree on the amount of protein that is optimal, but they agree on this ideal PWO formula (whey hydrolysates and glucose isomer/polymer combinations).

Madmick said:
(whey hydrolysates and glucose polymers).
you mean glucose isomer? Dextrose is a glucose isomer... though I'll admit I didn't know what a polymer was so I had to look it up...

Urban said:
you mean glucose isomer? Dextrose is a glucose isomer... though I'll admit I didn't know what a polymer was so I had to look it up...
Good call. I wrongly shortened the phrase; Berardi writes "glucose/glucose polymer".

So it'd be more accurate to say that or "glucose isomer/polymer combination."

Personally I've tried the ion ex, microfiltered and cold filtered from TP.com and for the price and taste wise cold filtered is less expensive and is great tasting....for flavors I recommend the tp chocolate with double stevia...its damn good. Also they have a waxy maize product which is just another name for vitargo which is an excellent pwo recovery carbohydrate. for postworkout I like to have a 50/50 maldex. dextrose mix....another thing you can do is if you get the isolates just order it sweetened or unsweetened and mix it with crystal light.

Madmick said:
Gotbanned: yes, caseins are slow-digesting, except hydrolyzed casein. That's why I recommend it. You can trust me, I'm on top of it.

What would be the point of a fast-digesting casein? I understand the rationale for a faster digesting whey for PWO and such, but I drink casein as my main protein specifically for its slow-digesting properties.

fat_wilhelm said:
What would be the point of a fast-digesting casein? I understand the rationale for a faster digesting whey for PWO and such, but I drink casein as my main protein specifically for its slow-digesting properties.
Just a different amino acid profile.

It doesn't seem like there's much point. I only include it because it's a possibility if you choose to go that way.

Well, because of this thread, I ordered up six pounds of a custom blend a few days ago. There's nothing I like better than tweaking my workouts and supplementation for optimum results. Mick, I used your formula as my base point, then tweaked it a bit. I got rid of the creatine because I'm a creatine snob, plus I like to cycle it, which, obviously, I don't plan on doing w/ a PWO drink. I added a bit of casein, too, just to get a trace of slow absorbing protein in there. We'll see how it goes. I've been using Biopure whey isolate + casein for quite some time, so it'll be interesting to compare. Anyhow, thanks for the great thread... here's my order spec's.

30% Hydrolyzed Whey, High Grade
6% Micellar Casein
45% Dextrose
12% Maltodextrin
2% Medium Chain Triglycerides
2% Glutamine Peptides
2% BCAA's
1% Taurine
+ Orange Cream Premium Flavor Option

fat_wilhelm said:
Well, because of this thread, I ordered up six pounds of a custom blend a few days ago. There's nothing I like better than tweaking my workouts and supplementation for optimum results. Mick, I used your formula as my base point, then tweaked it a bit. I got rid of the creatine because I'm a creatine snob, plus I like to cycle it, which, obviously, I don't plan on doing w/ a PWO drink. I added a bit of casein, too, just to get a trace of slow absorbing protein in there. We'll see how it goes. I've been using Biopure whey isolate + casein for quite some time, so it'll be interesting to compare. Anyhow, thanks for the great thread... here's my order spec's.

30% Hydrolyzed Whey, High Grade
6% Micellar Casein
45% Dextrose
12% Maltodextrin
2% Medium Chain Triglycerides
2% Glutamine Peptides
2% BCAA's
1% Taurine
+ Orange Cream Premium Flavor Option

How much did that come out to if I may ask?

let me know how the orange cream tastes...I've been curious about it but haven't placed an order for it....TP is definitely high quality..looking forward to hearing what you think.

GSPFAN291 said:
How much did that come out to if I may ask?

$7.60/lb. With shipping and a 5% discount code I found, it was $51.48 for six pounds.

DCbber... I'll report back on the orange cream, though it may not be a fair report since the hydrolyzed proteins are supposed to taste like feces and it may be tough for the flavor system to mask it.

I just want to know if this is drinkable.

DCbber13 said:
let me know how the orange cream tastes...I've been curious about it but haven't placed an order for it....TP is definitely high quality..looking forward to hearing what you think.

It is very light, but really good flavor. Next time I will get double flavor added. Tastes great in smoothies.

I got my supp. the other day and drank it for the first time after my workout today. At 30% hydrolyzed whey, it is not the least bit bitter or offensive. In fact, I find it to be quite delicious, even mixed w/ water, and I usually don't like any protein that's not mixed w/ milk. The orange cream flavor is really nice.

fat_wilhelm said:
I got my supp. the other day and drank it for the first time after my workout today. At 30% hydrolyzed whey, it is not the least bit bitter or offensive. In fact, I find it to be quite delicious, even mixed w/ water, and I usually don't like any protein that's not mixed w/ milk. The orange cream flavor is really nice.
Awesome.

Gracias, Wilhelm.

We now know it's drinkable, fellas.

Madmick (or others "in the know"),

I've sticked this thread for when I ran out of my regular whey isolate; today, I eagerly went to TrueProtein's Canadian website to order this formula, but lo and behold, there's no option for hydrolyzed whey OR casein. Seems the opitons for trueprotein.com and trueproteincanada.com are different.

So, in place of the hydrolyzed protein what would you pick? I know Berardi favors the milk protein isolates...

here you go mike
Madmick said:
you can replace it with any whey protein isolate or whey protein concentrate

If you go with an isolate, just make sure it's primarily ultrafiltration or cross-flow microfiltration.

<smacks own forehead> Bah, and I even read over every post. Bad short term memory.

Thanks Urban! :redface:

to hell with gaining I need to shred about 40

So you know Mike, because it doesn't look like I made the distinction, if you're willing to spend the extra dime, the isolate is preferred to the concentrate.

Back