"Ngannou arguably beat Fury "

Yeah, sure. Can’t really “take a round off” in a 3/5 round fight.

I’d actually argue it works better the more rounds there are though, tbh.

Though people complain about any non obvious decision result in all forms, so dick knows.

I think that I prefer the 3/5 round fights, but to each his own.

I thought that it was a close call, but I felt that Fury was taking over towards the latter half of the fight. I wasn't surprised by the decision.

I'm interested to see how AJ does against Ngannou. I have a feeling that AJ is going to starch him.

I think that I prefer the 3/5 round fights, but to each his own.

I thought that it was a close call, but I felt that Fury was taking over towards the latter half of the fight. I wasn't surprised by the decision.

I'm interested to see how AJ does against Ngannou. I have a feeling that AJ is going to starch him.

Yeah, my favourite form was the classic K1 rules.

5x3 rounds with bonus for getting the KO.

Loaded cards.

Not sure how the fighters felt about it though. Hoost, Aerts, Hug etc had to earn their fame, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I scored it similarly then. Only had Ngannou winning a few rounds. Had Fury winning 7 and Ngannou won 3 with one of those rounds being a 10-8. BoxingScene had it the same way.

Francis was winning some early rounds besides just the knockdown.

It was way closer than everyone expected (other than rabid MMA fans).

But Furry won pretty clear to me and outboxed Francis.

Arguably won is too strong of wording for me to get behind. Ussually the people saying that justify their favorite fighter winning due to a knockdown and ignoring EVERY other round & every other piece of scoring criteria.

Semantics, but "close to winning" or "competive" or even "was up or winning at times" would be better less disingenuous phrasing IMO

Fury kinda clearly won it, but still looked like shit. Ngannou did way better than expected, so the casuals give him the underdog bias.

Without the kd would have been far less controversy, I’m sure.

Not that I think that it's worth arguing over, but a ton of prominent current and former boxers and boxing journalists said that Ngannou beat Fury or that it was a toss up.

It wasn't just MMA fans who watched their annual boxing card.

That said. The reaction definitely had to do with how far Ngannou exceeded expectations of what he was capable of.

Francis was winning some early rounds besides just the knockdown.

It was way closer than everyone expected (other than rabid MMA fans).

But Furry won pretty clear to me and outboxed Francis.

Arguably won is too strong of wording for me to get behind. Ussually the people saying that justify their favorite fighter winning due to a knockdown and ignoring EVERY other round & every other piece of scoring criteria.

Semantics, but "close to winning" or "competive" or even "was up or winning at times" would be better less disingenuous phrasing IMO

Almost nobody expected it to be close outside of Ngannou's camp.

MMA fans were some of the most negative voices towards Ngannou going into boxing.

The people who spent all year claiming that he fumbled the bag by leaving the UFC started saying that Fury would beat him so badly that he'd have zero marketability in MMA or boxing after that fight was signed.

Almost nobody expected it to be close outside of Ngannou's camp.

MMA fans were some of the most negative voices towards Ngannou going into boxing.

The people who spent all year claiming that he fumbled the bag by leaving the UFC started saying that Fury would beat him so badly that he'd have zero marketability in MMA or boxing after that fight was signed.
I watched the fight with multiple MMA fan friends who bet Francis by KO & who were insufferable during the lead up

I watched the fight with multiple MMA fan friends who bet Francis by KO & who were insufferable during the lead up
Betting on a guy to beat an elite level fighter in a sport that he's never competed in is degenerate level gambling.

It's the people who lost rent money betting on Conor to KO Floyd.

Not that I think that it's worth arguing over, but a ton of prominent current and former boxers and boxing journalists said that Ngannou beat Fury or that it was a toss up.

That said. The reaction definitely had to do with how far Ngannou exceeded expectations of what he was capable of.

Really?

Fair play.

They're entitled to their opinion but it wasn't that difficult to score. The majority of boxing & MMA media scored it for Fury. The most common score is the same one I had, 96-93 Fury. We see this whenever a guy does much better than expected. Some people just get caught up in it.

I keep reading this, hearing this...

Anyone else not see that at all?

I had Francis winning maybe 3 rounds and Fury winning pretty comfortably.

Even if you give Francis a weighed grading for whatever supposed power he still seemed way too short on volume.
And Fury was largely in control, dictating range, pace etc.

Am I crazy or is half the world grading this dude on a curve because it makes for an interesting storyline?

I only watched it live and thought it was very close, but it might be because I thought Fury would do Ngannou in easily, it's worth a rewatch.

Betting on a guy to beat an elite level fighter in a sport that he's never competed in is degenerate level gambling.

It's the people who lost rent money betting on Conor to KO Floyd.
Yes similar vibe. But after that 1st knockdown I bet they were on a high like no other lmao

Fury won it pretty clean. Take away the KD and it was a pretty dull affair with Ngannou getting outboxed.
Fury looked like shit and casuals expected him to be some sort of destroyer who would go in and blast Ngannou out, though he's literally never been that guy.

He's much more 'that guy' than Floyd, who'd only legit stopped one guy in 12 years (Ortiz weird sucker punch situation doesn't count) ever was when he fought Conor. Didn't stop Floyd from flogging Conor.

It was not unreasonable for people to expect Fury to blast through an MMA fighter on debut.

This 'non-finisher' Fury talking point gets overblown. He'd stopped guys in 5/6 fights before Big Frank. Just because he isn't a massive puncher doesn't mean he can't finish.

Ngannou boxed his ears off...

Lol, bunch of haters here.

Fury landed 71 punches to Ngannou’s 59 while Ngannou landed 37 power punches to Fury’s 31 and he also had the Knock down and he was pressing the action and did more damage.

Fury didn’t outbox shit
Fights aren't scored by adding up all the punches at the end.Nothing you listed is boxing scoring criteria, other than the point for the KD.

He's much more 'that guy' than Floyd, who'd only legit stopped one guy in 12 years (Ortiz weird sucker punch situation doesn't count) ever was when he fought Conor. Didn't stop Floyd from flogging Conor.

It was not unreasonable for people to expect Fury to blast through an MMA fighter on debut.

This 'non-finisher' Fury talking point gets overblown. He'd stopped guys in 5/6 fights before Big Frank. Just because he isn't a massive puncher doesn't mean he can't finish.
I'm not sure what Floyd has to do with this.

Fury has been dropped a whole mess of times in his career. He's not the master boxer people make him out to be and he's not a big puncher, never has been. He may have KO'd a few of his last opponents but boxrec doesn't really tell the story. One was Dillian Whyte and one was Derek Chisora. He has a very average 70% KO ratio. The Wilder fights were as give and take as they get and Wilder may be the most limited HW of the past 30 years.

I'm not sure what Floyd has to do with this.

Fury has been dropped a whole mess of times in his career. He's not the master boxer people make him out to be and he's not a big puncher, never has been. He may have KO'd a few of his last opponents but boxrec doesn't really tell the story. One was Dillian Whyte and one was Derek Chisora. He has a very average 70% KO ratio. The Wilder fights were as give and take as they get and Wilder may be the most limited HW of the past 30 years.

Conor v Floyd was the previous high profile 'MMA guy debuts vs elite boxer'. Conor got smashed by a non-finishing, significantly smaller guy. It set the standard for what should be expected in such a scenario in people's minds when an MMA guy goes up against a giant HW, mediocre finisher or not.

Sure, Chisora, Whyte, Wilder may not be all-timers but they were established pros.

There was absolutely nothing unreasonable about thinking if Fury could stop these guys, he could stop an MMA guy on debut. I don't even see what is remotely controversial about such a statement.

Conor v Floyd was the previous high profile 'MMA guy debuts vs elite boxer'. Conor got smashed by a non-finishing, significantly smaller guy. It set the standard for what should be expected in such a scenario in people's minds when an MMA guy goes up against a giant HW, mediocre finisher or not.

Sure, Chisora, Whyte, Wilder may not be all-timers but they were established pros.

There was absolutely nothing unreasonable about thinking if Fury could stop these guys, he could stop an MMA guy on debut. I don't even see what is remotely controversial about such a statement.
He probably could have had he bothered to train for the fight.

Back