Ngannou was never a draw

UFC 220 = 300K ppv buys
UFC 260 = 350K ppv buys
UFC 270 = 300K ppv buys

Those are all the ppv cards he headlined, even some female fighters did better numbers than that.

He wants to get the same kind of money guys like Mcgregor or the boxing guys get, but he doesn't make their numbers at all, not even close.
True - he was nowhere close to Conor, no one is.
And it's true Dana did promote Francis like crazy with the "Hits like a truck" talk, way more than champs.

But when arguing who's a good draw I think many fans set the bar so high that almost no UFC fighters besides Conor qualify.
If we look at a top10 list of active UFC fighters based on who draws the most the bar is quite low.

In another thread I wrote how since UFC200 there are only 18 non-Conor events and 11 active fighters who've headlined a PPV that did above 400K buys https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-aside-from-conor-izzy.4318911/post-172639871

And when looking at future draw potential, I guess it would make sense to consider the biggest potential matchups someone could be involved in (as one huge event can sell more than 2-3 lackluster events).
And I figure Jon vs Ngannou was one of the biggest events UFC could put on.
(But perhaps Jon vs Stipe is close so they don't care)

Last edited:
You're aware this was comparing to other fighters in the UFC, right? His fights sold 0 PPVs before the UFC, and sold 10,000 after the UFC with one of the biggest draws in boxing.
How can one be the biggest draws in boxing but only sell 10k? But you keep thinking UFC is great at promotion. It’s been proven time and again that the fighters themselves have to promote. They’re good at cut throat business practices and great at being the first to market. But if you want to believe that they’re some great promotion machine by saying ngannou sold no ppv before the ufc (which is just a dumb argument and has nothing to do with anything) I ain’t going to try to convince you.

You're aware this was comparing to other fighters in the UFC, right? His fights sold 0 PPVs before the UFC, and sold 10,000 after the UFC with one of the biggest draws in boxing.
Here’s my issue with this bullshit thinking…and others who beat on PPVs and all that stuff…and you know this from tennis. The champ is important. Fed was the most popular tennis player ever. But that doesn’t mean Nadal and Djokovic don’t have their own fans or own level of popularity. The champ is the champ. The UFC said to hell with that, which I can never support. Ngannou was hurt (as we found out afterwards) when he beat Gane. He was the champ, with a lot of good wins. Got to to take care of that guy. He would’ve fought Jones and probably Aspinal or Pav by now, but no… thanks UFC/Dana…

Mayweather/McGregor sold 4.3 million ppvs.

So? Mac’s popularity tapped in to a lot of lil’ white guys..he’s popular because of that, not because he’s some unstoppable force. Ngannou is tapping in to (potentially) the Tyson zone… the baddest man on the planet zone, that Fury has roughly occupied the last 6-7 years. Some of which Ngannou cracked.

So? Mac’s popularity tapped in to a lot of lil’ white guys..he’s popular because of that, not because he’s some unstoppable force. Ngannou is tapping in to (potentially) the Tyson zone… the baddest man on the planet zone, that Fury has roughly occupied the last 6-7 years. Some of which Ngannou cracked.
Nah, Tyson had that crazy guy aura. Francis is too gentle and polite.

How can one be the biggest draws in boxing but only sell 10k? But you keep thinking UFC is great at promotion. It’s been proven time and again that the fighters themselves have to promote. They’re good at cut throat business practices and great at being the first to market. But if you want to believe that they’re some great promotion machine by saying ngannou sold no ppv before the ufc (which is just a dumb argument and has nothing to do with anything) I ain’t going to try to convince you.
Lol, where has that been "proven time and time again"? By you just saying it? You think the fighters are paying for their own promotion? Obviously if what you said was true, they would all sell just as much after leaving the UFC, not go from 350,000 to 10,000.

Yeah, I'd say buying a company that wasn't particularly well known for $2 million, that became a household name worth $4 billion just 14 years later suggests they're pretty good at promotion lol. Lemme guess, you would have turned it into a trillion dollar company if you were in charge, right?

Here’s my issue with this bullshit thinking…and others who beat on PPVs and all that stuff…and you know this from tennis. The champ is important. Fed was the most popular tennis player ever. But that doesn’t mean Nadal and Djokovic don’t have their own fans or own level of popularity. The champ is the champ. The UFC said to hell with that, which I can never support. Ngannou was hurt (as we found out afterwards) when he beat Gane. He was the champ, with a lot of good wins. Got to to take care of that guy. He would’ve fought Jones and probably Aspinal or Pav by now, but no… thanks UFC/Dana…
That's a point against yourself. Federer has like double the net worth of Nadal and Djokovic, who've both accomplished more playing. Federer was the highest paid guy on tour just a couple years ago when he only played 3 or 4 tournaments and didn't win any of them.

No, he wouldn't have, and turned down $8 million to fight Jones. If he "would've fought them", then why didn't he? He was offered the Jones fight for $8 million +ppvs, but left instead.

Threads that aged quite poorly.

I mean, you are not exactly wrong, and he isnt getting Floys vs Conor pay either, but neither his opponents are Floyd, he is getting paid quite well anyway.
He's getting paid for the boxing matches what Conor gets paid to fight in the UFC though probably. He would never have gotten that had he stayed with the ufc

Lol, where has that been "proven time and time again"? By you just saying it? You think the fighters are paying for their own promotion? Obviously if what you said was true, they would all sell just as much after leaving the UFC, not go from 350,000 to 10,000.

Yeah, I'd say buying a company that wasn't particularly well known for $2 million, that became a household name worth $4 billion just 14 years later suggests they're pretty good at promotion lol. Lemme guess, you would have turned it into a trillion dollar company if you were in charge, right?
well, you just said the biggest draw in boxing sold 10k. So the biggest draw in boxing isn’t the biggest draw in boxing? Nothing you said means anything. Nor is it an argument against what I said. Because they’re successful doesn’t mean they’re good at promotion. MLB is the most successful baseball organization on the planet. Guess what? As an org they suck at promoting players. They suck at creating stars. The ufc exists because there’s a desire to watch people fight each other. They were first to market. They have ruthless business practices. That’s why they have succeeded where others have failed. You’re acting as if their success relies solely on their ability to promote fighters. It doesn’t.

He's getting paid for the boxing matches what Conor gets paid to fight in the UFC though probably. He would never have gotten that had he stayed with the ufc
Conor himself would laugh and tell you ur full of shit

Probably more than Conor in the UFC honestly, but yeah, no chance he gets that kind of money in the UFC, Jones fight was supposed to pay around 8 million (his words), but other fights no chance at all.

Yes he would never have gotten that in ufc!! But there’s no way Conor gets fury or Joshua money fighting in u fight cheap. Which also explain his inactivity

Nah, Tyson had that crazy guy aura. Francis is too gentle and polite.

Says you…if he beats Joshua, that changes significantly. Big if obviously, but at least that tension is there.

Back