NOT cutting weight becoming new meta?

Yeah I fixed the title for you, even though I'm pretty sure you made it like that on purpose, so that this thread would not be completely derailed by it.

I must admit that I have less respect for those who cut the most weight.

They should just weigh in as they enter the ring.

Hard to find the motivation to cut alot of weight when you're being paid in peanuts.

Yeah, that combined with some regional fighters having to beg just to get someone to fight them leads to that.

Mighty Moose is on the extreme end due to being in the lightest midget class. It's actually good for him not to cut as everyone else is too drained to give him a serious challenge. Their extra size isn't enough to overcome his non-drained speed.

And lets not forget Khabib who walks around basically the same size as GSP before cutting to LW.

It's pretty crazy really, even dos Anjos admits that in between camps that he usually walks around 195-210, and this is the same dude who fought most of his career at FW.
People give GSP crap for wanting to take some fights at LW but after hearing some weight cutting stories it makes it seem like GSP has been fighting up a weight class compared to most people.

I thought Holloway, Khabib, and DC cut quite a bit of weight?

Holloway couldnt make LW on short notice. He's been talking about moving up because the cuts are getting difficult.
We don't know if he could have made the weight. The commission stopped him before he weighed in.

Thats true but he must have been in rough shape for the doctor to do that.
I imagine he was, but the NYSAC isn't exactly known for making sound decisions.

It's pretty crazy really, even dos Anjos admits that in between camps that he usually walks around 195-210, and this is the same dude who fought most of his career at FW.
People give GSP crap for wanting to take some fights at LW but after hearing some weight cutting stories it makes it seem like GSP has been fighting up a weight class compared to most people.

The people giving GSP crap are haters of GSP or huggers of some other fighter GSP either beat or is in perceived contention with for GOAT or other.

There is absolutely nothing to criticize in any fighter who is willing to MOVE DOWN and make weight to fight. Bisping, Machida, and countless other fighters who can bridge more than one division, size wise have lost weight to fight in a division below. Zero wrong with that.

The 'wanting to fight smaller guys' argument was always around a bigger fighter calling out a smaller fighter to MOVE UP, out of their natural division to fight them. That has always been what was perceived as wrong or cowardly.

I was looking at the UFC champs the other night and I noticed something.. the newer champions DO NOT cut a lot of weight. Whittaker, Colby (whether or not you call him a champ), Stipe isn't necessarily the biggest HW and his mobility and speed for a HW is why he's so damn good, Max Holloway cuts like 15-20 lbs which isn't a lot, DJ doesn't cut that much either and neither does TJ. Those who cut maybe 10-20 lbs seem to have a huge cardio and speed advantage over their opponents. I also think this is the new trend with the wrestlers. Like Gregor Gillespie and Colby who aren't power wrestlers who cut 30-40 lbs like Johny but are tenacious chain wrestlers who will just keep shooting because they don't get tired. The power wrestling days I think are over because it only takes stuffing a few of their takedowns and they seem gassed. Is this the new meta?
Whittaker weighs between 215-220 on a normal day.

He was suppose to wrestle at the Australian games back in March/April and the UFC told him not to to avoid injury.

If he would have wrestled it would have been at 209 and he said he had drop a couple pounds to make the weight limit.

That's about a 30 pound difference between everyday weight and fighting weight.

Holloway is a gigantic FW who gets into the 180 normally. Even he said he has a couple now fights left at FW before it's almost impossible for him to make the 145 limit. That's another 30-35 pound difference between everyday and fight weight.

I consider anyone who fights within 15 pounds of their everyday weight in their proper weight classes.

Last edited:
Look at St Pierre... handled fighters that weighed more his whole UFC career. Cardio over One Round Strength. Plus. Big Rig was at least Two Big Macs his size... :eek:

Bro....Holloway was on death's door trying to make 155 on a week's notice. He's said that he walks around at over 180lbs, which is HUGE for a Featherweight. I'd be shocked if Max was anything less than 170lbs on fight night.

Whittaker walks around at 216lbs and is 205 after he rehydrates, so he's not a small MW by any stretch of the imagination. Woodley is also huge for the weight class and so is Cormier.
So gullible

Stipe - perfect HW size. Best HW's have historically been in the 240-250 range (Fedor, Cain, Werdum etc...)
DC - cuts a ton of weight to make 205, insanely drained at weigh-ins.
Whittaker - average sized MW, don't let his past as a WW fool you
Woodley - massive WW, also cuts tons of weight.
Khabib - He's a meme for missing weight
Holloway - Again, the guy is massive for his weight class. Move to 155 inevitable
TJ - Yeah maybe. He's not a huge 135'er.
MM - pretty much the only reasonable one.

Size matters, end of story.

JOE ROGAN & BEN ASKREN EXPLAIN THE SOLUTION TO ALL WEIGHT CUTTING PROBLEMS
whereby
fighters take a specific gravity urine test, which is immediately weighed, showing whether or not the fighter is hydrated within seconds.

If the fighter is hydrated, he can proceed to step on the scales and weigh in.

If the fighter is not hydrated, he must drink water until he can produce a satisfactory sample and then weigh in.
If he is overweight, he gets fined.
Note that you can be ON WEIGHT, but if you are not hydrated you can't officially weigh in at all.
They can weigh in at any point in the 2 days leading up to the fight.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/j...ution-to-all-weight-cutting-problems.3698325/

I was looking at the UFC champs the other night and I noticed something.. the newer champions DO NOT cut a lot of weight. Whittaker, Colby (whether or not you call him a champ), Stipe isn't necessarily the biggest HW and his mobility and speed for a HW is why he's so damn good, Max Holloway cuts like 15-20 lbs which isn't a lot, DJ doesn't cut that much either and neither does TJ. Those who cut maybe 10-20 lbs seem to have a huge cardio and speed advantage over their opponents. I also think this is the new trend with the wrestlers. Like Gregor Gillespie and Colby who aren't power wrestlers who cut 30-40 lbs like Johny but are tenacious chain wrestlers who will just keep shooting because they don't get tired. The power wrestling days I think are over because it only takes stuffing a few of their takedowns and they seem gassed. Is this the new meta?
Max Holloway cuts 15-20 pounds?

{<jordan}

Back