Movies Obscurish good movies

License to Drive.
MV5BOTk1OWUyODgtMDBlMC00ZDdlLWIzOWUtYTBjNzQ1M2ZjOThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Miami Connection (1987)

Some movies are so bewildering in their terribleness that they provide a kind of entertainment of their own. Much like The Room (2003) has found notoriety for being bizarrely bad melodrama, Miami Connection has become emblematic of the worst of 1980s martial arts cheese.

Our heroes are not just Taekwondo experts, they are in a cool rock band and they are the best of friends. Also they are all in university, even though none of them look university age. Also they are all orphans?

Additionally, every single one of them utterly sucks at acting.

Together, they must defeat the criminal ninja gang, because of reasons.

Full movie on Youtube. Only watch it if you appreciate "so-bad-it's-good" movies

Miami Connection (1987)

Our heroes are not just Taekwondo experts, they are in a cool rock band and they are the best of friends. Also they are all in university, even though none of them look university age. Also they are all orphans?

Against the Ninja is still a banging song though.

Leviathan (1989)

For whatever reason, the late 1980s had an abundance of underwater sci-fi flicks, ranging from cinematic achievements like The Abyss to ugly crap like DeepStar Six. Leviathan definitely falls towards the crap side of things.

Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson and others are the crew of an underwater mining operation that encounters an unknown organism. Disaster and death ensue, borrowing heavily from Alien and The Thing.

The sets are convincing but the pacing and editing are all over the place, and the creature effects are frankly laughable.

Full movie on Youtube. Another one only if you are in the mood for a corny bad movie.

The Company of Wolves (1984)

This was director Neil Jordan's first foray into gothic fantasy horror, 10 years before he directed Interview With the Vampire.

As you might have guessed, The Company of Wolves is all about the werewolf myth, told in a unique way. The main narrative is actually the dream of an adolescent girl. But within her dream, various characters exchange werewolf stories, which are depicted in vignettes.

The whole movie has a surreal, mystical quality, fraught with symbolism. I'd go so far as to call it an art movie - with bloody special effects.

Full movie on YouTube:

Dreams (1990)

One of the final works of legendary filmmaker Akira Kurosawa. True to its title, it is an anthology of eight dream-like vignettes, written by Kurosawa and inspired by his own recurring dreams.

The dreams range from the beautiful to the whimsical to the nightmarish. But they are all wonderfully shot and presented, with every frame looking like a painting.

If you can appreciate Kurosawa's late-period aesthetic of static camera and careful mise en scene, you will be captivated.

Not for those who are easily bored and have low understanding of cinema.

Full movie on YouTube. Turn on closed captions for English subtitles:

Last edited:

Not THAT obscure but I'm a bit supprised it hasnt had more of a revival considering how much other 80's genre stuff has, pretty much everything you could want in a late 80's trashy sci fi actioner, car chases, monsters, shootouts, Claudia Christian's ass. Actually much better made than you'd expect for a film of that budget/type, very good cast with Kyle Maclachlan treating the film quite seriously plus I believe some of those involved were serious stunt guys who basically used it as a chance to make the film they wanted to.

Last edited:
Leviathan (1989)

For whatever reason, the late 1980s had an abundance of underwater sci-fi flicks, ranging from cinematic achievements like The Abyss to ugly crap like DeepStar Six. Leviathan definitely falls towards the crap side of things.

Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson and others are the crew of an underwater mining operation that encounters an unknown organism. Disaster and death ensue, borrowing heavily from Alien and The Thing.

The sets are convincing but the pacing and editing are all over the place, and the creature effects are frankly laughable.

Full movie on Youtube. Another one only if you are in the mood for a corny bad movie.

Yeah it was a bit more care, a bit more time and a bit more in the budget away from being almost a really good Thing / Alien ripoff. It was Michael Carmine's second last movie before he died of AIDS...the last one being Longtime Companion where he was pretty much at death's door.

Yeah it was a bit more care, a bit more time and a bit more in the budget away from being almost a really good Thing / Alien ripoff. It was Michael Carmine's second last movie before he died of AIDS...the last one being Longtime Companion where he was pretty much at death's door.

You are a true encyclopedia! You should change your user name to CinephileMMA

I think this one fits the description as it's now pretty obscure (you can't even find its trailer on YouTube, although it was widely released and well known in my time) and it's a glorious super entertaining festival of 80s action cheesiness.
band-of-hand-poster-211717456.jpg

Great cast too: Stephen Lang, James Remar, Michael Carmine, Lauren Holly, Lawrence Fishburne. Directed by Starsky!!
Bob Dylan made a song for this one too!

Last edited:
Anyone mention Conspiracy (2001) yet?

Found it a fascinating movie and at least for me, well acted. Just a bunch of guys around a table discussing a heavy topic, but it gripped me and kept my attention the whole time.

one movie that got meh minimal promotion or reception but killed viscerally IMO

24 Hour Party People
Requiem for a Handsome Bastard (Requiem pour un beau sans-cœur)
Cinema Paradiso
La Haine

I think this one fits the description as it's now pretty obscure (you can't even find its trailer on YouTube, although it was widely released and well known in my time) and it's a glorious super entertaining festival of 80s action cheesiness.

Great cast too: Stephen Lang, James Remar, Michael Carmine, Lauren Holly, Lawrence Fishburne. Directed by Starsky!!
I saw that at a drive in Saskatchewan while on vacation. Almost got arrested by the RCMP because we had beer. Good times.

band-of-hand-poster-211717456.jpg

I remember this one

Anyone mention Conspiracy (2001) yet?

Found it a fascinating movie and at least for me, well acted. Just a bunch of guys around a table discussing a heavy topic, but it gripped me and kept my attention the whole time.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread but it's a great movie. I have recommended it a few times on here. Much of the cast reunited for different roles in Valkyrie.

Last edited:
In fact what the hay... Obscurish (reasonably) good movies, Lance Henriksen edition...

Jennifer 8
Johnny Handsome
Powder
No Escape
Near Dark
The Quick and the Dead
Stone Cold
Expedition: Bismarck (narration of James Cameron documentary)

I have Near Dark on DVD

Ever seen The Keep ? Young Scott Glenn.

Back