Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

Anyone have anyone fighting in the National Qualifier in Detroit? I have one girl competing, wondering if anyone else was going to be there.

I’ve got a 125er named Haidon I’ve been working with who’s going to be there. I doubt I’ll be there with him though

I’ve got a 125er named Haidon I’ve been working with who’s going to be there. I doubt I’ll be there with him though

Who you going to have work his corner? There is still time for coaches to register, so you can hop in still. My brother and I are school teachers by day, so it's not always easy to take off time, but I can't send my fighters solo to National tournaments. Based on her weight class, I'll only have to be there Thursday and Saturday which is nice.

Edit to add: Looks like he's competing at 132.

Last edited:
Who you going to have work his corner? There is still time for coaches to register, so you can hop in still. My brother and I are school teachers by day, so it's not always easy to take off time, but I can't send my fighters solo to National tournaments. Based on her weight class, I'll only have to be there Thursday and Saturday which is nice.

Edit to add: Looks like he's competing at 132.
132, you are correct. He’s doing 125 for golden gloves. We’ve got regionals this weekend.

I’m not his main coach but if his head coach can’t make it I’ll probably fly out for him. I hate having to take time away from my program but no one should be flying solo at tournaments that size

Eh, it's not so bad if you send a team, and groom them properly. My kids were small when some of my guys reached the National level and my wife and I dont have Family here in town. My team got used to going to Qualifiers on their own. Some of them complained but those were ALWAYS the ones who didnt pay me for Coaching.

Apparently we had celebrity judges tonight for Sam’s boxing match. stevie wonder and Ray Charles both gave the decision to his opponent while the 3rd judge gave it to Sam.

Total fuckin robbery.

That sucks man
when I get the footage I’ll post it and I’d love an opinion on the decision. I’m fuckin salty. Like I told my old co-worker, “getting robbed” is a new stamp on my head boxing coach bingo card. I’m not happy about it, but that’s boxing.

So how do you guys deal with people that sweat excessively? lol I train this guy who literally melts every training session, holding mitts for him is a nightmare, because it doesn't matter if he's wearing a rashguard or a hoodie, I'll be drenched in his sweat after a minute. I'm seriously thinking about using swimming glasses or one of the COVID face shields to hold mitts for him

So how do you guys deal with people that sweat excessively? lol I train this guy who literally melts every training session, holding mitts for him is a nightmare, because it doesn't matter if he's wearing a rashguard or a hoodie, I'll be drenched in his sweat after a minute. I'm seriously thinking about using swimming glasses or one of the COVID face shields to hold mitts for him
it’s not a great answer, but I just grin and bare it. I did consider the Covid face shield honestly though. I had a guy who’s lose 4lbs in an hour of mitt work. It was excessive

That’s my boxer in black. This was his 5th fight but he was going into it with less than 8 rounds of boxing under his belt because he keeps getting tko wins. The blue corner was fresh off of the silver gloves tournament where he took second in the nation.

this was Collins first loss. We have a rematch scheduled on 4/22 but a promoter called me in a pinch and so we’re fighting the kid again tomorrow night and then again in 2 weeks.

we’ve made some real growth and adjustments. Experience is the hardest thing to work past and Collin is a very hot and cold boxer. On a good night he’s unstoppable, easily able to compete with the best in the country for his age and weight. When he’s emotionally or mentally not there then he allows himself to get bullied and fights flat.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Collin won handily. Boxed beautifully at range, listened to me, and ended up putting two 8 counts in the opponent in the third

Nothing like rolling up to the cinco de mayo festival with a car load of white kids for some good old fashioned amateur boxing!

Went one and one. My slick 125er wilted under the pressure for his first fight and lost a decision but I’ve got high hopes for him.

my girl Sarah went out there and scored a tko in the 2nd. Out classed her opponent bell to bell. After the first I told her she owed me an 8 count and she doubled down and just put the girl away instead

Up in Canada for the west coast Wonder Woman. I’ve got 2 and I’m babysitting 2 others. First fight we had was my new 115lb girls first fight. She came forward and threw, blasted her opponent with big right hands. Lost a decision to a local gal, who came up afterwards and told us she thought she lost. Mentioned how hard my girl hit.

Both the ladies im helping out with won. We’ve got a rematch for the hwt from yesterday and my top prospect tia caught a live one. Good prep for tomorrow where she’s boxing a gal getting ready for nationals

Not boxing related, but here's an interview of Sal's baseball Coach where we discuss his development into a good catcher after not even having wanted to play this season. A good perspective from a different Sport:

Not boxing related, but here's an interview of Sal's baseball Coach where we discuss his development into a good catcher after not even having wanted to play this season. A good perspective from a different Sport:

love seeing kids being kids and having fun outside of the gym

My girl tia earned herself a win in her 5th fight ever via tko between rounds 1 and 2. @Sinister this was the young woman I brought in for training who drilled with your team and sparred with Olivia.

we registered at 146 and hit the scale at 143. I think I’m bringing her down to 141 since she’s having an easy time with it.

our hwt young lady had a rematch that turned into a wrestling match and won again

Reds coach had a girl bigger than tia with 10 fights to tias 5 that we asked to match with today.

They declined.

We’ve got her matched with a girl from Mexico. When I asked how many fights she has the promoter just shrugged and said, “she’s from Mexico, they don’t count them down there. Probably a lot.”

Of course We agreed

Back