Official Judo Thread IX: Banned By The French Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green is Sankyu here, they changed it a few years ago from having two kyus per grade to one. So now it's:

Novice = white
6th = red
5th = yellow
4th = orange
3rd = green
2nd = blue
1st = brown

Most people do white > yellow in one grading though.

Congrats btw HG.

Ha! It's sankyu in Canada.

I commentated an MMA event two days after my grading. If you watch the match that starts at the 2-hour mark (a pretty fun grappling match,) you can hear me insist on calling the sangaku jime and the ude garame grip. I think technically, it is yoko sangaku, but I am still just sankyu.

I am a brown belt in BJJ, but was just so pumped up on judo that night.

http://communityone.bellaliant.ca/H...ng=1&mediaId=0a83f045aee34ee5b6c2dbbaf6617000

Last edited:
Yeah, I really wished I'd competed in Judo before now though - since i am a brown in BJJ and feel like playing newaza against another sankyu is a little...something...unfair? i dunno.

Sankyu was brown at my old club (after green) and green at my current club, so I have the honor of wearing the pain belt twice :)

Yeah, I really wished I'd competed in Judo before now though - since i am a brown in BJJ and feel like playing newaza against another sankyu is a little...something...unfair? i dunno.

I'm not saying to neglect throws. You should always be trying to throw for ippon. However, if people want to hang out on the ground with their neck exposed, I think you'd be doing them a disservice by not choking them. They have to learn that they need to defend themselves.

You know, when you start Judo at 7 like I did you are made of rubber and this lasts until around 17 or 18, you're never really injured. The you go to uni, train less than you should, drink too much and turn up for practice on Saturday mornings hungover, 20 minutes late aving had to run from some random girls dorm room via your own flat to pick up your kit.

This approach leads to what is known as the "RDJI" phase, or random drinking Judo injury phase.

Eventually you get over these minor injuries and get a job and try to train around having to earn a living as best you can.

This coincides with losing weight as the

Loosely judo-related:

Ronda on Jimmy Fallon looked amazing.
467438442-ronda-rousey-visits-the-tonight-show-gettyimages.jpg

She looks like she'd break every bone in my body, in what would possibly be the most furious 93 seconds in my life.

Seriously, look at this thread since Einarr's been banned. Even with new ppl in here posting, it's still moving at a snail's pace. He was the glue that held the f12 judokas together. I miss that tranny-loving motherfucker.

Zankou, this must be rectified. Let's squash the beef.

Seriously, look at this thread since Einarr's been banned. Even with new ppl in here posting, it's still moving at a snail's pace.

How about talking a bit about judo in video games then? What are your favourite portrayals of judo in video games? Here are a couple of mine:

Here's a combo video of Goro in KOF XIII:
[YT]hwaE2B80HzA[/YT]

Here are Goh's throws from VF5:
[YT]uNauZzUm45Y[/YT]

Seriously, look at this thread since Einarr's been banned. Even with new ppl in here posting, it's still moving at a snail's pace. He was the glue that held the f12 judokas together. I miss that tranny-loving motherfucker.

Zankou, this must be rectified. Let's squash the beef.

It's beyond my power, sadly.

My club just started their kids classes and my 5 year old has been playing (the only technique name he can remember is Osotogari...yep that's my son)

He was so proud when t-shirts came in he wore it to school the next day.

Proud daddy here.

Awesome, I have an almost seven year old and he's just now gotten decent at some throws other than osoto.

Kids crave osoto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back