Official Judo Thread IX: Banned By The French Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE MUST SIGNAL THE WISE ONE IMMEDIATELY!

Limes.jpg

0f8c7f160a57dbda250ef6de61509c0d.jpg

tumblr_lvswa6enIm1r7jy1ao1_500.jpg

Lost a full week of training due to this goddamned cold. Really sucks, particularly when your training time is as limited as mine.

You rang?

i see what you did there! hm. i think we'll have use the 'murican option: goin' nucular.

[YT]0cCsllLrClY[/YT]

OH WOW, WHAT GREAT TECHNIQUE! NOTHING WRONG HERE! IF ANYONE SHOULD EXPERTLY WRITE AN ACCLAIMED AND REVERED BLOG IT'S THIS GUY

It's kosoto, and around here they call that style "the sticker" as well.

reap the leg at the calf and push/pull uke down/back? kosoto gari
hook the leg at the calf and push/pull uke down/back? kosoto gake
follow uke's foot through his step, cupping it at the hell and pulling him backwards as he moves forward? deashi barai.

i can see where it's both. you can make the case that uke's feet are swept out from under him, you can also make the case uke's anticipating a step that tori kicks out from under him...

My coach first caught me with this technique in 2009. So I say to him "that was cool! What was that?". He replies "hey, hey, hey ... I can't show you all the secrets :)"

It took me till 2012 to stumble across some shuai jiao clips (of all things) demoing it off a two on one to see it on video and only till last year when I saw Riley Bodycombs (fantastic) no-kurtka series to grok it. Now I see that throw everywhere. It's an awesome throw; Kbits must master.

Last edited:
Son started counting his sit-ups at practice today in Japanese. Only made it to 4, but not bad for a 5 year old noob.

Could care less a out the Japanese thing, I'm just glad he's paying attention in class.

Hey fellas, just wanted to say hey, and thanks for the ongoing source of good info. I made an account a few months back, and then continued to lurk...lol. Been learning lots, hoping to learn more about judo, and maybe post some questions. I'm a BJJ blue with terrible standup, which I'm hoping to improve...

Right now I'm studying ashiwaza. I got Mike Swain's masterclass Ashiwaza II. Any other recommendations? Peace.

Pedro and Stevens' Takedown Blueprint isn't half bad if you want to focus on judo for BJJ.

Obligatory disclaimer: but none of it will help unless you dedicate a sizeable amount of time to training it.

Thanks a lot, I'll check that out!

Yeah, we usually get ten minutes out of each class to work a favorite takedown, which is nice, but still not a lot. I've been trying to just focus on two moves that combine well for the last several months. Ouchi and osoto is what I've been working on.

Does anyone have the masterclass Ashiwaza (I)? The price seems insane...just wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks a lot, I'll check that out!

Yeah, we usually get ten minutes out of each class to work a favorite takedown, which is nice, but still not a lot. I've been trying to just focus on two moves that combine well for the last several months. Ouchi and osoto is what I've been working on.

Does anyone have the masterclass Ashiwaza (I)? The price seems insane...just wondering if it's worth it.

I have it. It is not worth the money. This is not to say it isn't a good book, the $20 I spent on it in 2001 was well worth it, but now it's a collector's item and the price is crazy. You won't find anything on it that you can't find on Youtube. I highly recommend the 'Beyond Grappling' channel for good Judo instruction.

I'll second Beyond Grappling.

It's not just their level of instruction and demonstration which are good, but also their presentation. It's just them up near a wall, there's nothing in the background, they shoot their videos when their club is empty, the lighting is perfect, and they almost never have the same color gi for tori and uke.

Yeah Matt is on submissions101 sometimes too but I don't watch any of their stuff, if it's the one I think it is for the rest of their videos then it's shitty aikido BJJ stuff.

But yeah I watched a nice ouchi gari one on submissions101 by Matt today as it's something I want to chain into my Uchi mata when I'm back on the mat.

I know what you mean. I hate that Matt's harai goshi video is on submission101, rather than his own channel. Contributing to Ari's income by watching his videos just feels wrong.

Hey fellas, just wanted to say hey, and thanks for the ongoing source of good info. I made an account a few months back, and then continued to lurk...lol. Been learning lots, hoping to learn more about judo, and maybe post some questions. I'm a BJJ blue with terrible standup, which I'm hoping to improve...

Right now I'm studying ashiwaza. I got Mike Swain's masterclass Ashiwaza II. Any other recommendations? Peace.

If you don't want to spend any money, some idiot loud mouth made a few threads you might want to look at

Kuzuhsi and how to drill it

Spacing for Judo throws

Ko uchi gari

Ko soto gari

O soto gari

That guy's threads suck. I bet he's never even done an osato gari before.

Kappa.

Ayy lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back