Official Judo Thread

Hiza guruma is the second throw in the gokyo no waza, after de ashi harai. I've seen a few very traditional senseis who emphasise going through the gokyo in the order as written because each throw contains a core principle of judo and illustrates it well - Steve Cunningham comes to mind, and his instructionals are the best judo instructionals I've ever watched and he's got them up on youtube for free.

So yes, hiza guruma is a beginner technique - if you're going by the gokyo, it's more of a beginner technique than koshi guruma is, which makes sense, because koshi guruma is technically a more difficult technique than uki goshi or o goshi.

Smething to consider Kano lineage gave mayeda a 7th degree black belt Judo which he taught Carlos Gracie Judo also Is responsible for American karate which does come from Risei Kano lineage Judo is technically the founder of all so Judo is lineage

RIP to Coach Robbie, the long time nikkyu assistant coach of my first Judo club, head coach to my daughter way back when she did Judo, and first Shodan promoted by my longtime Coach (and Friend) Pete.

Dude was a 20 year USCG Vet, and OG member of the Coast Guard Judo Club. The nicest (in his words) "North Carolina Redneck Boy" who was a giant Teddy bear coaching kids and talking to non-player parents, while fucking up anyone with a dark color belt on the tatami, shooting 3 gun and training very dangerous military folks... He made the best BBQ I've ever had and inspired me to learn, and was always available when I needed help cooking pig or working Harai Goshi.

Rest in Power my friend.

From that camera angle looks like fair ippon to me, and reminds me of the "illegal" knee that Koscheck faked:

1701626391333.png

But like that one, it's possible should have been shido but definitely looks otherwise on replay.

EDIT: WTF gifs still not showing on this site. This "upgrade" sucks ass.

Last edited:
Does anyone use the "Korean Tie" (high collar tsurite + lapel hikite) and if so what do you typically throw from it? Any good resources?

Jean-Luc Rougé has been promoted 10th dan by the IJF. So, now 10th dan in judo are:
1) Yoshihiro Uchida
2) George Kerr
3) Jim Bregman.
4) Franco Capelletti.
5) Jean-Luc Rougé.

Jean-Luc Rougé has been promoted 10th dan by the IJF. So, now 10th dan in judo are:
1) Yoshihiro Uchida
2) George Kerr
3) Jim Bregman.
4) Franco Capelletti.
5) Jean-Luc Rougé.

Sensei Bregman is a good dude, handed me my first brown belt. Great stories from back when.

Last edited:
One question, according Wikipedia, there is a Korean-American 10th dan judoka, Yi Bang-geun, born on 1924. I tried to look on the web about him, but there are no news. Every page is a 10th dan holders list with his name among the others.
Is he still alive? Now he ought to be 100 years old.

I must be a challenged in the brain person, because I cannot retain these Japanese names.

Back