Official Judo Thread

Talking about demonstrations: Does any of you know the name of the technique used to counter a Yoko Geri in the Kodokan Goshin Jutsu kata?

Looks like something out of the Koshiki no kata

I must be a challenged in the brain person, because I cannot retain these Japanese names.

Don't sweat it, focus on the technique first...I can't even remember which ashiwaza is which half the time.

I must be a challenged in the brain person, because I cannot retain these Japanese names.
to be honest if you go to a dedicated judo forum at least half the posts will be people posting videos and asking "what technique is this!?" and the posts will all be arguing about what technique it is anyway.

just learn how to do them and attach the labels later.

This Hifumi kid seems like the real deal at 66kg. Maybe he'll win an Olympic medal one day

I find judo throws to be high risk/high reward as opposed to other disciplines.
I mean it's a spectrum.

A lot of ashi-waza is relatively low risk, throws like ippon seoi nage is also a pretty low risk throw if you're actually good with it.

This Hifumi kid seems like the real deal at 66kg. Maybe he'll win an Olympic medal one day
Are you familiar with these awkward moments where you don't know whether someone is joking or whether you're misunderstanding them? This is how i feel about your post.

Are you familiar with these awkward moments where you don't know whether someone is joking or whether you're misunderstanding them? This is how i feel about your post.
Lmao. I definitely know Hifumi, he is incredible and I don't see anybody challenging him (or his sister + Tsunoda) at the upcoming Olympics

I find judo throws to be high risk/high reward as opposed to other disciplines.

With regard to what and what other disciplines? And which throws are we talking about?

MMA?
Gi BJJ?
No Gi?
Da Streets?

With regard to what and what other disciplines? And which throws are we talking about?

MMA?
Gi BJJ?
No Gi?
Da Streets?

Call me crazy, or a bad wrestler, but I'm of the opinion that entering into a clinch and then working for a throw is the lowest risk entry for a takedown in MMA and Da Streets.

Imagine our man above trying to hit a blast double on machete guy instead of tying up the arm with the blade before throwing.

Call me crazy, or a bad wrestler, but I'm of the opinion that entering into a clinch and then working for a throw is the lowest risk entry for a takedown in MMA and Da Streets.

Imagine our man above trying to hit a blast double on machete guy instead of tying up the arm with the blade before throwing.

I'm of the mindset most bad takedown attempts are high risk...

I think the conception of Judo throws being high-risk comes from (foolishly) comparing them not to throws (which generate high-velocity leading to high impact) but to takedowns or slams. In a nutshell, the success of throws is significantly more timing dependent than a takedown which only needs to fulfill requirements in regards to physical structure to be successful.

I think the conception of Judo throws being high-risk comes from (foolishly) comparing them not to throws (which generate high-velocity leading to high impact) but to takedowns or slams. In a nutshell, the success of throws is significantly more timing dependent than a takedown which only needs to fulfill requirements in regards to physical structure to be successful.

I've heard multiple people in bjj claim specifically that turning throws which generate back exposure are "high risk" in the sense that if you screw up you could get your back taken or end up in bottom turtle with them attacking your back.

But then again the same guys will pull guard instead of at least putting up an attempted yoko tomo nagae to get down to the mat.

In the end though, I see judo making a come back in no gi jiu jitsu. Foot sweeps, reaping throws, and uchi mata all work well in nogi jiu jitsu and are starting to be seen more often in high level competition. Which then trickles down to the mid and low level competitors as they try to copy the pros.

I've heard multiple people in bjj claim specifically that turning throws which generate back exposure are "high risk" in the sense that if you screw up you could get your back taken or end up in bottom turtle with them attacking your back.

But then again the same guys will pull guard instead of at least putting up an attempted yoko tomo nagae to get down to the mat.

In the end though, I see judo making a come back in no gi jiu jitsu. Foot sweeps, reaping throws, and uchi mata all work well in nogi jiu jitsu and are starting to be seen more often in high level competition. Which then trickles down to the mid and low level competitors as they try to copy the pros.
Of course people in BJJ are going to feel that way. It's because people in BJJ worship back control and this hyper-obsession leads to paranoia when an opponent is behind them regardless of context. I bet they have nightmares about being a sentry in Metal Gear Solid where someone sneaks up behind them. I'm just joking but in every hyperbole there is a kernel of truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back