*Official Mayweather-Pacquiao Discussion*

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dnt think u can compare the two fights, the oscar who fought pbf was a yr younger, actually had fought somewhat recently and hadn't dropped to a weight he hadn't fought in 6yrs. At 154 i think oscar performs better; an might beat pac, there is a reason roach insisted on him fighting at 147.

oscar was never great in that he never beat a great fighter in his prime; he has fought alot of great fighters (hof) and for the most part never been dominated or beaten up, tito didnt do it..mosley didnt....pbf didnt....hopkins stopped him.

all things being equal this fight would be a mismatch, the diff being that oscar size was supposed to be able to use his size/strength to win.

but based on records and dominance and stage of career pac had it all

i still think pbf gives pac fits and beats him; an surprisingly i think hatton can give pacman a go, seriously.

I enjoy watching Mayweather immensely. I find his style to be a display of pure technique and I never miss a chance to watch him. That said, I was pulling for pac and enjoy him as well. I dont see what a retired fighter named floyd has to do with an active fighter named manny. If floyd comes out of retirment fine, but until then this whole thread is just a chance for people to bash mayweather.

I enjoy watching Mayweather immensely. I find his style to be a display of pure technique and I never miss a chance to watch him. That said, I was pulling for pac and enjoy him as well. I dont see what a retired fighter named floyd has to do with an active fighter named manny. If floyd comes out of retirment fine, but until then this whole thread is just a chance for people to bash mayweather.

Agreed. I love watching both Pacquiao and Mayweather Jr. Floyd's style is unbelievably amazing, but yet at times it can get a little boring. You have to give him credit, although I wish he would have taken a fight against Cotto, Margarito, or Paul Williams instead of De La Hoya. I hope to see Pacquiao vs Hatton at 140, where Hatton shines. This will give us a good measure of how dominant Manny is. And after this fight, bring Floyd out of retirement and have the ultimate P4P matchup!

--------------------------
-Chris
Full Contact Outlet
- Brand Name Boxing Gear at Wholesale Prices!

For years we had to put up with the spectacle of a backpedalling "fighter" pitty-patting his way to supposed pound-for-pound dominance. For years we were made to believe that a match where both pugilists looked like they had done nothing more strenuous than a light sauna was a "fight."

After bullying a smaller, undersized Hatton, we were forced to watch this braggart retire and proclaim himself the greatest of all time.

For years we were told that to like Pacquiao was to like merely raw speed and power, and that only the purists and real fans could appreciate Mayweather's technique. We tried to convince ourselves of this even as our eyelids grew heavy watching Mayweather "fight."

No more.

Pacman has demonstrated what true boxing is. Pacman represents boxing's best hope to return to the bloody glory that typified its greatest era.

Let's dispel the myths.

Oscar was not "shot" when he fought Manny - Manny just made him look that way. This is the same Oscar who recently held the supposed great Mayweather to a split decision. The same Oscar who roughed up Mayweather, who landed hard shots on Mayweather all night, who Mayweather "beat" by virtue of landing .001% more punches than Oscar did.

The same Oscar who Manny absolutely dominated and destroyed in 8 rounds.

No more are we forced to uphold a loudmouthed ring ballerina as the representative of our sport. Now we have a true icon, a fearsome destroyer in the illustrious tradition of Johnson, Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson; a two-fisted batterer who will ram home to the masses that, by the admission of MMA's own proponents, boxing is the most brutal, dangerous, savage -- and glorious -- combat sport on earth.

YOU GOT IT, PONTIAC!!!

..most of it anyway...

I argued a few years ago that Pacquiao was the real #1 man based primarily on quality of competition as there really was no comparison regarding quality of competition.
At no time did I ever see Floyd Mayweather Jr as #1 though he had the potential to be #1 if he would have met the best opposition. But it was just potential.
Pacquaio made it reality by meeting the best opposition.

Only part I have a minor disagreement with:
Oscar was not "shot" when he fought Manny - Manny just made him look that way. This is the same Oscar who recently held the supposed great Mayweather to a split decision.

Oscar wasn't what he used to be even when he attempted to fight Floyd Mayweather who basically refused to engage with Oscar out of fear.
That's why Oscar really won that fight. Effective aggression, pressure, roughing him up, and harder shots just as you state too.
I took the time to review that one with the sound off and score it.
Oscar clearly won the Mayweather fight in similar fashion to the way Hagler really beat Sugar Ray Leonard and also how Oscar really did beat Whitaker.

Even past his best and slow for Mayweather, Oscar was still too much for this guy.
A prime Mayweather "fought" terribly against a faded Oscar.

Pacquaio, a TRUE fighter, showed what you do to an old man in Boxing.
God Bless Manny Pacman Pacquiao.

The other guy was basically a skilled boxer, but he wasn't a fighter. Didn't have the instincts of a fighter. Pretty damn good super-featherweight (130 lbs). That's about all that could be said about him. I don't know why anybody wants this guy to come out of retirement and stink out the joint again.

A man with 39 total fights who ducked top opponents proclaiming himself better that Sugar Ray Robinson who at one time was 131 wins, 2 losses (both avenged) 2 draws with 86 KO's and a record studded with Hall-of-Fame names. Please.

Manny Pacquiao's the man.
The Pacman's old-school all the way, a throwback fighter.
Now we have a true icon, a fearsome destroyer in the illustrious tradition of Johnson, Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson; a two-fisted batterer

^ That's just beautiful, dude.

i don't understand this bs about how hatton was undersized against pbf .

floyds fought his best at 135 thats his natural weight not 147 cause he fought there 3 times at the end of his carear .

hatton was beaten by skill against floyd not size

People love to rewatch Great fights and Great Fighters.

I've looked at Dempsey destroying Willard many times.

I've rewatched the best of Mike Tyson.

Even when Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas, it was a great fight which I've rewatched many times.

I don't know how many times I've rewatched Hagler/Hearns.

I've rewatched Julian Jackson's explosive concussive KO's.

Ward and Gatti may not've been the best fighters around, but their fights are modern classics and will be remembered and rewatched by many.

Manny Pacman Pacquiao is cut from that same cloth.

Manny's fights are fights that you rewatch, and fights that will be replayed as thrilling modern classics.

Where's this other guys classic fights that you can rewatch?
The Corralles fight from 8 years ago is the only one I can think of.
Hatton? Marred completely by a ref with an agenda who took Hatton's entire gameplan away from him. They're not rewatchable fights. They all sort of just run together just like Pernell Whitaker's career, nothing that jumps out at you as anything special that you'd want to rewatch for the entertainment value. Worth rewatching for a boxer in training if he wants to study defensive techniques.

Manny's a much better guy to emulate with a crowd-pleasing style.
A ticket-seller who gives the fans what they want to see: ACTION.
If a fighter wants to make money, he has to become a draw and to do that, he has to give the masses what they want to see so that they'll want to pay to see him.

Ali's one of the few dancers that could draw.
The biggest draws have always been punchers.

It

For years we had to put up with the spectacle of a backpedalling "fighter" pitty-patting his way to supposed pound-for-pound dominance. For years we were made to believe that a match where both pugilists looked like they had done nothing more strenuous than a light sauna was a "fight."

After bullying a smaller, undersized Hatton, we were forced to watch this braggart retire and proclaim himself the greatest of all time.

For years we were told that to like Pacquiao was to like merely raw speed and power, and that only the purists and real fans could appreciate Mayweather's technique. We tried to convince ourselves of this even as our eyelids grew heavy watching Mayweather "fight."

No more.

Pacman has demonstrated what true boxing is. Pacman represents boxing's best hope to return to the bloody glory that typified its greatest era.

Let's dispel the myths.

Oscar was not "shot" when he fought Manny - Manny just made him look that way. This is the same Oscar who recently held the supposed great Mayweather to a split decision. The same Oscar who roughed up Mayweather, who landed hard shots on Mayweather all night, who Mayweather "beat" by virtue of landing .001% more punches than Oscar did.

The same Oscar who Manny absolutely dominated and destroyed in 8 rounds.

No more are we forced to uphold a loudmouthed ring ballerina as the representative of our sport. Now we have a true icon, a fearsome destroyer in the illustrious tradition of Johnson, Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson; a two-fisted batterer who will ram home to the masses that, by the admission of MMA's own proponents, boxing is the most brutal, dangerous, savage -- and glorious -- combat sport on earth.
Right on. Amen! This about sums it up perfectly.

What a coincidence that he only started looking shot when Manny was slamming that left hand into his face, and that he hasn't looked shot in any of his fights except with Manny.

Actually I don't disagree - Oscar's shot NOW. Manny has made Oscar shot. Few fighters can rise up mentally and physically after being so utterly dominated and battered, and I doubt that Oscar can do it.

pac's trainer even said before the fight oscar couldn't pull the trigger. to me that tells me he isn't an elite fighter anymore that he is too old. most of us including me dismissed it as hype for the fight.

8 fights since 03...you can't be a part time fighter with a record of 4-4 and still be considered elite. at the time he was 4-3 and one of those wins is highly debatable.

pac knew it. freddie knew it and now oscar knows it. why don't you see that?

this doesnt take away from pac destruction whatsover...

Manny was awesome. If Floyd comes back to fight him then I guess we would be able to see who is the true P4P king and I suspect it would be Manny. I don't think Pretty Boy will fight Manny though.

Manny is the TRUTH. he has improved soooo much with freddie roach...its incredible. his dodging and agility is superb now. power and speed..incredible.

pac v money may would be insane...

If Mayweather doesn't come out of retirement to fight Manny... he ain't comin' back at all.

That is the ONLY fight worth putting it on the line for him IMO.

Guys lets be realistic . What has Oscar done since ko ing Fernando Vargas . Ok he put up an OK performance against Mayweather . But what has he done except make more money than ant other boxer could dream of making in one fight . I think Oscar was finished after the Hopkins fight .

Sure Mayweather is irrelevant. That's why everybody is asking for Pac-Mayweather bout right lol?

That's cuz a lot of people want to see the fucking loud mouth have his trap shut, or finally prove himself...

pbf is a self proclaimed piece of shit... if they ever get to fight, i hope pac knocks the pretty boy out of his head
fuck that i'd like to see pbf fight a couple relevant fighters his own size. he could start with margarito.

The funniest thing about all this blow-hard bullshit is that it was the same crap that was said about guys like Robinson and Ali. Especially the back-pedaling ballerina stuff with regard to Ali, who is now regarded as one of the braver Fighters of all time by the general public. Robinson was also known as a braggart, a womanizer, etc. etc.

No one who has watched Pacquiao's career since the 3rd Morales fight should have said a single thing about his ability (or lack thereof) to Box. How quickly people forget that this is a guy who mauled Marco Antonio Barrera in one Fight, and then turned around and out-boxed him in the second Fight. When you out-box arguably one of the better Boxers of the generation, you're no-longer one dimensional.

As far as pure Boxing goes, did you even see the Mayweather/DLH Fight or are you just reciting numbers you looked up? The last 4 rounds of that Fight were absolutely clinical for Floyd, and an indisputably fine display of the science of pugilism. And it's funny how that back-pedaling ballerina absolutely smashed guys like Corrales and Hatton, and put on one of the most vicious displays of everything against Gatti. If you don't like Floyd, great, and sure there were plenty Fights where he did mostly what it took to win securely, but it's not as if he never stood his ground.

That said, some of us have had Pac as the #1 P4P since before Floyd retired, and we didn't need a hammering of a guy who has only been relevant because of his box office appeal, trying to make a weight he hadn't in 6 years to know how good Pac really was.

Pacquiao has sealed Oscar's irrelevance as an active Fighter, nothing more.

This post is the truth. I disliked how PBF ducked out just when he saw guys like Margarito, Williams and Cotto coming up but the TS is a complete fool.

That is the ONLY fight worth putting it on the line for him IMO.

I'm sorry but I only agree with this if Pac/Mayweather happens at 140. Even Roach said he doesn't think Manny's weight is good enough at 147, and that Oscar's state of being had a lot to do with how well the Fight went.

Pac/Floyd at 140 - Agreed.

Pac/Floyd at 147, disagreed. Margarito and/or Williams (considering where Williams and Tony are right this second with regards to each other) is a little more significant.

I seriously think a prime oscar would not of been able to take an MP right now. Styles do make a fight, and Manny's southpaw stance, and his ability to move in and out with amazing speed would prove Oscar's undoing. Oscar wasn't a shot fighter during the fight but definitely not in his prime, Seems like MP is getting even better with each fight, and hard to imagine if he can even get better to what he is now. I have him TKOing Hatton if they fight soon. As far as PBF, Manny has the speed and efficiency to land consistent shots on him. We won't really know till it happens. If PBF doesn't get any tune up fights before Manny, then I see Pac winning by a tko. We still don't know where PBF's chin is, as it hasn't been tested yet. Much like Roy jones in his prime.

By the way I don't wanna see manny face cotto or margarita at welterweight, Manny's best weight is 140 and that is where I think him and PBF should meet at. I will be in heaven if Manny takes Hatton and Mayweather out at 140lb.

they are fighting this at 143...if mayweather even wants the fight. basically its this...pacman has all the bargaining power in this one...only chip mayweather has is if he wants to fight or not. im worried pbf might stall things and try to ask for more money...but roach/arum are smart enough to force concessions out of pbf...reyes gloves/143 catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back