No Spoilers Official Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Discussion

I hope you're having fun man! Genichiro is wild. I died with one hit left on his health bar the first time I went against him, and then spent days trying over and over again until I finally got his ass.

Did you ever try beating Genichiro as part of the tutorial?
You can't! Well you can, but you die anyway

Did you ever try beating Genichiro as part of the tutorial?
You can't! Well you can, but you die anyway

I did once! I think I saw Ongbal do it first (and way better) before I tried it though.

Congrats, slayer. Where you at now post-Geni? @93confirmed
I beat a few other bosses after that saga (Guardian, Headless Ape, Snake) and explored a bit but took a break to go play Elden Ring. I'm having alot more fun with it honestly and will probably be playing this for a few hundred hours.

Last edited:
I beat a few other bosses after that saga (Guardian, Headless Ape, Snake) and explored a bit but took a break to go play Elden Ring. I'm having alot more fun with it honestly and will probably be playing this for a few hundred hours.
Yeah, ER is fun to lose yourself in; my first playthrough was 380h. I have the Sekiro Platinum as well and have, maybe, 4-5 playthroughs under belt but playtime is less than other titles were I to do the same because of how (relatively) linear it is in comparison (to something like ER). Enjoy.

Nice! Glad to hear you're doing well in it.

What do you play on?

does anyone have any tips on how to parry? i could do it easily, consistently in the training area against the dummy, however, as soon as i reach the first spear guy where you have to use it, my timing is just off. i don't understand it at all. i want to sekiro, but i shant.

does anyone have any tips on how to parry? i could do it easily, consistently in the training area against the dummy, however, as soon as i reach the first spear guy where you have to use it, my timing is just off. i don't understand it at all. i want to sekiro, but i shant.
What platform and hardware generation?

What platform and hardware generation?
ps4, when it first came out. i was doing fine up until that spear guy with two life bars and it's obvious you have to parry his attack, i just couldnt. i could parry it in the training dojo, i beat the giant, i beat the other big dude with help from the NPC, just couldn't fucking parry to save my life.

ps4, when it first came out. i was doing fine up until that spear guy with two life bars and it's obvious you have to parry his attack, i just couldnt. i could parry it in the training dojo, i beat the giant, i beat the other big dude with help from the NPC, just couldn't fucking parry to save my life.
Issue is, this title doesn’t afford users the combat and build latitude of other Miyazakian titles. This means the upcoming main-story skill checks in place (select bosses) can only be accomplished by using the mechanics available to you and what you essentially need start practising in run-up to them, i.e., parry.

Awesome to have bodied the dudes you have, no doubt, but a world of hurt and then quitting is inevitable if parry doesn’t become a part of your repertoire.

That out of the way, are you watching and learning enemy movesets – or trying to eye and reflex it? Because on an early-model PS4, you want to memorise enemy movesets and build reflex from there; too hard to eye wind-up animations at erratic, lower frame rates. You mistime and take DMG, no worries: do again and again. Combat in this is like a dance – a rhythmic back and forth; it’s not a slash, slaughter, and sodomise.

Right - I know you can't dark souls this one and roll out of everything. I understand the concept of the parry, to press the buttons when they are about to attack. I can do it in training, however when I face the spear guy, if I remember correctly as its been a while, I know the kanji comes up like he's going to attack, I try to parry, and get my ass handed to me anyways. I've tried waiting a split second after the kanji appears, and still get it. It's weird because I can parry everytime during the training segment. But when it comes to the live spear guy, it's like what just was applied doesn't work. Not sure what it is. I'll try to fire it up again sometime soon, but that part always got me. I think I eventually made it to the old lady boss and then faced a whole new slew of problems. lol. I love the art direction, at some point I need to beat that game.

Right - I know you can't dark souls this one and roll out of everything. I understand the concept of the parry, to press the buttons when they are about to attack. I can do it in training, however when I face the spear guy, if I remember correctly as its been a while, I know the kanji comes up like he's going to attack, I try to parry, and get my ass handed to me anyways. I've tried waiting a split second after the kanji appears, and still get it. It's weird because I can parry everytime during the training segment. But when it comes to the live spear guy, it's like what just was applied doesn't work. Not sure what it is. I'll try to fire it up again sometime soon, but that part always got me. I think I eventually made it to the old lady boss and then faced a whole new slew of problems. lol. I love the art direction, at some point I need to beat that game.
You can’t party the spear thrusts. You have to unlock and use the Mikiri counter.

You can’t party the spear thrusts. You have to unlock and use the Mikiri counter.
i think thats what i meant. whatever the specific move is to avoid that spear thrust attack. when do you hit it? when the kanji comes up, as the attack is going on?

i think thats what i meant. whatever the specific move is to avoid that spear thrust attack. when do you hit it? when the kanji comes up, as the attack is going on?
You need to use the mikiri as the attack is coming towards you.

Damn I wish I could play this for the first time again

I beat the game and still suck lol
i feel like i spent 5-6 hours on that first giant LOL. a couple of friends dropped it at that exact spot. i persevered only to realize i can't execute one of the basic beginner's moves. still bothers me.

Back