RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Haney vs Lomachenko Top Rank / ESPN PPV 5/20

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When the bookies have someone as the favorite, it's usually telling. People don't play bias or hire fools to do the odds when there's millions on the line. Everyone on the panel, majority of fans and Shakur thought Loma won, Shakur doesn't have a reason to say that for Loma either because...he's after the Haney fight after that decision regardless. Acting like it's Jake Paul fans who think Loma won because he was popular in MMA circles is a bit cringe, I understand there's a dichotomy between Eastern Euro style of fighting vs Western, Haney definitely nailed that body early and often with a lot of authority but this being anything other than a razor close fight is just tough to argue, I saw it as a close one with a clear edge to Loma, I had it 115-113 some rounds Loma won could have went to Haney and some that Haney won coulda went to Loma, it was close. It reminds me a bit of Ward vs Kovalev 1, a fight I thought Kovalev for sure deserved. When I heard Unanimous I struggled to see how 3 guys could give to Haney and assumed they'd award it to Loma. Same for GGG vs Canelo 1, I had for GGG, not a draw.
“i had it 115-113 and some rounds could have gone either way but 116-112 is ridiculous!”

literally you

They always use Moretti in all the big fights too. The guy is one of the most corrupt shits around. I doubt that if you look closely into his track record he has a single close fight scored against the promoted "A side."

A single close fight is one thing, but these are not isolated incidents, it happens all the time. Anyone who thinks these are not cronies is delusional.

These guys make like 5k to score a fight while one wrong decision could end up costing promoters dozens of millions. Results in the easiest bribes in the world.
i agree in real life, haney won rounds 9, 11 and 12. but even if morretti called it a draw, haney still wins.

I wanted lomachenko to win but truthfully a lot of the rounds especially the early ones were too hard to score. Either way Loma at 35 def put more damage on Haney.

Great night of boxing....the main event made the price worth it....boxing keeps this up with fair, if unpopular decisions, there is hope for the sport yet.

“i had it 115-113 and some rounds could have gone either way but 116-112 is ridiculous!”

literally you

Hard to justify that many rounds for Haney, really hard to see 3 out of 3 judges give Haney the nod too. It was close. Doesn't matter, a feel bad fight, life goes on.

When the bookies have someone as the favorite, it's usually telling. People don't play bias or hire fools to do the odds when there's millions on the line. Everyone on the panel, majority of fans and Shakur thought Loma won, Shakur doesn't have a reason to say that for Loma either because...he's after the Haney fight after that decision regardless. Acting like it's Jake Paul fans who think Loma won because he was popular in MMA circles is a bit cringe, I understand there's a dichotomy between Eastern Euro style of fighting vs Western, Haney definitely nailed that body early and often with a lot of authority but this being anything other than a razor close fight is just tough to argue, I saw it as a close one with a clear edge to Loma, I had it 115-113 some rounds Loma won could have went to Haney and some that Haney won coulda went to Loma, it was close. It reminds me a bit of Ward vs Kovalev 1, a fight I thought Kovalev for sure deserved. When I heard Unanimous I struggled to see how 3 guys could give to Haney and assumed they'd award it to Loma. Same for GGG vs Canelo 1, I had for GGG, not a draw.
I don't have a preference in style. I thought GGG beat Canelo in the first fight too. I thought Haney won a close fight here landing more accurately and effectively through 12 rounds. I'm going to need some punch stats to back it up, but that's what I saw. Other than the times Haney got wobbled for uncharacteristically standing in front of Loma I never saw him respecting his power.

I understand you appreciating the narrative leading up to this fight (Loma overcoming size, age, doubts, etc), but story lines don't win fights. Loma fought another close one and it didn't go his way this time. I thought he stole one from Ortiz, so this loss can be considered a bit karmic.

I don't think you post here often, there has definitely been a drastic drop off in the quality of post since the YouTube boxing scene took off and more heavies posters started flooding this forum with their Roganesque hyperbole and edgy memes.

Lomachenko's the superior boxer... but, he did that thing again where he takes the early rounds off. Literally, every one of his losses is some form of Loma losing the early rounds and then recovering at the end.

Once again, I'm left unimpressed by Haney.

What is ward trying to say in the post fight comments?
he was saying don't call it a robbery, because it was a close, competitive fight between two great fighters and regardless of people's bias, they should respect the judges decision.

Dave Moretti only gave Lomachenko One round of the final 6...he gave Haney the 10th round...think about that for a second. This guy has no business judging...he literraly gave Round 2 a 10-10 score in the Tank/Garcia fight when Tank scored a knockdown...wtf...

Outlanded him - fact
Landed all of the most significant punches of the fight and had Haney wobbled multiple times.
Haney never had Loma hurt.

By what metric, exactly, are you saying Haney won this fight? He got outstruck, outboxed, outpowered. He lost on virtually every single layer of the fight.

I wanted lomachenko to win but truthfully a lot of the rounds especially the early ones were too hard to score. Either way Loma at 35 def put more damage on Haney.
Towards the end for sure. Haney looked like he was fucking his body up early tho.

Fight was close, Loma finished stronger but I think Haney may have edged more rounds overall by being more aggressive and showing a little more volume, thought Haney was going to win when it went to a decision based the home town fighter. They should run it back.

literally you
The issue is when all 3 judges go the route of the 40% guy in a 60/40 fight. Now you have a likelihood of all three scoring the fight for Haney @ ~6%. So it's not a problem that someone scores a close fight one particular way. The problem is when it's consistently done to bias the promotional favourite.

i need a gif sir. respectfully.

FwoJfijagAgSXHg

Great night of boxing....the main event made the price worth it....boxing keeps this up with fair, if unpopular decisions, there is hope for the sport yet.
Having great fights end in awful decisions, is really, really bad for the sport. No one wants to see the wrong guy winning after two warriors get after it. It puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth. It doesn't leave them wanting more.

Hard to justify that many rounds for Haney, really hard to see 3 out of 3 judges give Haney the nod too. It was close. Doesn't matter, a feel bad fight, life goes on.
i respectfully disagree, and recommend you watch a lot more boxing, particularly well-known “controversial” fights. the way judges score fights is very apparent & even though you may not like it, they favor some key things. for instance, a couple really hard blocked punches score more than a clean tap to the nose most times, even though one punch technically landed and the other two harder ones didn’t. it’s not mathematical. outside of the 11th round that everyone agrees loma won, the hardest punches of the fight were landed by haney to loma’s body. tap jabs and arm punches that graze the lips or nose don’t erase that.

The issue is when all 3 judges go the route of the 40% guy in a 60/40 fight. Now you have a likelihood of all three scoring the fight for Haney @ ~6%. So it's not a problem that someone scores a close fight one particular way. The problem is when it's consistently done to bias the promotional favourite.
the thing is that’s your personal opinion. there’s only 3 people scoring by the official criteria of professional boxing, and that’s the 3 judges at ringside. everyone else scoring the fight is likely using their own criteria & affected by their personal and negative biases. i have watched a lot of boxing over the last decade-plus and i know how fights are scored. i do score fights based on the official criteria & i still don’t always agree with judges. there are some decisions that need critiquing. this is not one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back