Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Martyna Czech - (3-0) - ??? (something like 25-30)
Was curious due to her strong name game (Czech lol) and I found a picture that said she was 24 when she was 1-0 and about to fight her second opponent, so around 26 now if that's accurate.

Personally I'd like to see more movement between the lower ranks of the UFC and Invicta/LFA. {...}
If your going to nurture featherweights it doesn't have to be in the UFC, you can select a cadre of girls and have them develop somewhere else.
In general I wouldn't be against Invicta becoming a development org for the UFC (more/more officially than they already are).

But imo at least a bit of the division development still needs to happen on actual UFC cards. The situation right now at w145 where the only fights at that weight class are title fights is not good. If you make a belt, you need to also make a division - even if it's difficult and the division is neither super great nor super deep.

Exactly, UFC's 145 being that moneyweight instead of a real weight class is ridiculous.

Last edited:
So if "Cowboyzinha" is a nickname, what does it mean?
I can't find much on the -zinha ending, except for a Mexican football player who apparently used "Zinha" as some sort of nickname too.
"Zinha" means little in portuguese. "Cowboy-zinha" = little Cowboy. She's a really close friend of Alex "Cowboy" Oliveira, and a fan of his (teammate aswell). It is only used as a sufix here.

Gabizinha = little Gabi

It has been a while since I've written up something sort of big here. Just some information of people in and around the featherweight division this past year. Not a perfect listing either. Just some useful information for those interested.

I will probably break it up into a few chunks.

Featherweights and Potential Featherweights Jan 2018

UFC Featherweights*:

Cris Cyborg Justino (18-1-0, 1NC) BR
Megan Anderson (7-2-0) AU

* Not counting Featherweight/Bantamweight crossovers. See below, far below for that.

RIZIN
Cindy Dandois (10-3-0) BE but wants in the UFC and wants to fight Cyborg.

Not going into King Reina Miura (8-1-0) JP for RIZIN reasons, aside from not having fought that low before although she probably could. Dandois is questionable as it is, even as she campaigns for a fight with Cyborg.

Invicta Signees:
Ediane Gomez (11-4-0) BR "I will not die without having fought Cyborg" or something similar.
Charmaine Tweet (9-6-0) CA
Pam Sorensen (7-2-0) US Could fight at 135lbs but she does not make the weight.
Felicia Spencer (3-0-0) US
Leah Letson (4-1-0) US Has been retweeting callouts on Cyborg for her. Out of the Military now and training.
Latoya Walker (5-1-0) US Looking to get into the UFC after her stint in the US Army.
Amy Coleman (2-2-0) US
Daria Ibragimova (9/12-2-0) RU (UA) She has fights not listed by Sherdog or Tapology. She is not as good as her record indicates - that is more a matter of weak opponents who have often been smaller then her.
Madison McElhaney (1-1-0) US

Helena Kolesnyk (5-1-0) UA Ought to be a bantamweight, in Invicta, to be honest, pretty green too despite the nice looking win column.

Bantamweight/Featherweights with Invicta:

Faith Van Duin (6-3-0) NZ is back in training, looking for fights at either bantamweight or featherweight.

Katharina Lerner (7-0) DE Can she actually, consistently, make weight at bantamweight? Or even make 135lbs on the nose for a title fight? I want her to make weight before she fights for the bantamweight title in Invicta she is campaigning for.

Pannie Kianzad (8-2-0) SE Does she makes weight against Kaufman? If not she ought to consider going back up to fight at featherweight. She'll have missed weight at bantamweight three times if she misses weight.

Unsigned Featherweights with decent records:

Martyna Czech (3-0-1) CZ
Jessy Miele (6-3-0) US
Liana Jojua (7-2-0) GE Age 22 5'4 (Fought at 145lbs a few times. I am listing her as she is set for yet another featherweight fight unless it has been cancelled. Fight seen below. Tapology informed and will update.)

Bantamweights/Featherweights, large none top bantamweights, outside of Invicta and not in Bellator:

Zarah Fairn dos Santos (6-2-0) FR She has a robbery lose to Sinead Kavanaugh. Zarah cuts a good deal of weight to get to 135lbs, so going back to 145lbs would be a good decision for her if she can't make 135lbs a healthy cut despite having done so several times successfully. Last missed weight by 5lbs (67kg vs 64.2kg).

Karolline Rosa (8-1-0) BR Age 22 5'6 (Has fought up to 145lbs before. Jumps around in weight classes) Best wins against Mariana Morais and Jessica Andrade. Loss to Gisele Moreira. She is better off at bantamweight in my opinion.

Marciea Allen (6-2-0) US Dealt with a hand injury in 2017, probably gotten over it.

Elizabeth Phillips (7-6-0) US Fought at 140lbs and 145lbs.

Rizlen Zouak (3-0-0) FR (and Morocco) Age 31 Been featherweight for her so far but losing weight since her pro debut. Olympic Judo player.

Zaria Dyshekova (4-2-0) RU Mostly fought around 137lbs to 140lbs.

Jan Finney (11-13-0) US fights between 135lbs and 155lbs, did fight Jones at 170lbs. Not a great pick up but if you are looking for warm bodies who can put on a decent fight she is there.

Duda Santanna (3-0-0) BR Could use an uptick in competition but she has beaten two people with middling records.

Last edited:
Lightweights and heavier women of note:

Jozette Cotton (8-1-0) US from 170Ibs to 155lbs. Missed weight in her first attempt at 145lbs.

Bobbi Jo Dalziel (3-0-0) CA Probably in contract hell, if she had stuck with her previous management she would be in Invicta already and have fought already.

Judith Ruis (4-3-0) DE Jumps between 135lbs and 155lbs.

Moriel Charneski (3-4-0) US Fought between 135lbs and 155lbs, last defeating Patterson.

Sarah Patterson (5-4-0) US

Keelin Gallup (1-0-0) US fought at 145lbs as an Ammy, 1-1.

Wait for contracts to be up from Bellator:

Julia Budd (11-2-0) CA
Talita Nogueira (7-0-0) BR
Arlene Blencowe (10-7-0) AU
Amber Leibrock (2-1-0) US
Olga Rubin (4-0-0) IL
Amanda Bell (5-5-0) US
Sinead Kavanaugh (5-2-0) IE
Brittney Elkin (3-4-0) US
Alexis Dufresne (6-3-0) US
Janay Harding (3-2-0) AU
Genah Fabian (1-0-0) NZ (AU)

Questionable:

Tamikka Brents (2-3/4-0) US apparently fought recently. I am not sure if it was MMA or not. She has been dealing with a torn ACL, reinjured it prior to her last fight, and lost the fight. She plans to heal up and fight more this coming year.

Stephanie Egger (2-1-0) CH (She has fought at 145lbs in the past.) Her last three fights didn't happen, shame as a fight with Yaya Rincon would have been fun to see. Split decision loss to Alexa Conners at Invicta 20. Biggest win is over Mara Romero Borella.

Colbey Northcutt (0-1-0) US She said she would get back to training and, maybe, could make waves eventually.

Marina Shafir (1-2-0) US Signed to Invicta, has had a child but is beginning to lose weight and train some.

Marketable names that have shown interest in MMA at featherweight:

Kayla Harrison Will debut in MMA in February. Two time Olympic gold medalist in Judo, amongst other accolades.

Danyelle Wolfe Accomplished boxer, Olympian.

New talent:

Akeela Al-Hameed (0-0-0) US 4-0 Ammy; Courtney King (1-1-0) US; Diana Dzilikhti (2-0-0) RU (said to be short, like 5'1''); Macy Chiasson (1-0-0) US 5-2 Ammy, fought at 155lbs as Ammy;

Other people, but not everyone, who has fought in and around featherweight in the past 12-13 months:

Marina Mokhnatkina (4-0-0) RU 5'6'' More of a bantamweight but she has fights upwards of 141lbs. Contradictory info for her fight with Karine SIlva too.
Jennifer Leigh Norris (3-2-0) US
Alexandra de Cassia (3-3-0) BR
Kerry Hughes (3-3-0) GB Big side of bantamweight.

Katarzyna Sadura (3-3-0) PL Last lost to Maiju Suotama (8-3-0) FI, by TKO, at 141lbs after Egger pulled out of a fight. Despite the win Suotama struggled with Sadura's size.

Fernanda Barboroza (3-2-0) BR Tall but slender bantamweight, fought decent people.
Jamila Sandora (2-0-0) BR
Ramona Pascual (3-2-0) HK
Ksenia Stepanova (2-0-0) RU Contradictory info on her weight class.
Yekaterina Makarova (3-1-0) RU Better off at bantamweight, some contradictory info on her.

Evva Johnson (2-1-0) US 8-1 Ammy. Years ago she fought at flyweight and has a loss to Ostovich by Split Decision but her most recent fight is at 145lbs and she did fight there some as an Ammy. At first I did not include Johnson but I decided to anyways. Roughly a year since she last fought and no social media, contradictory info. on whether this was a 145lbs or 155lbs fight. Hard call. She was signed to Invicta at one point.

Sidy Rocha (3-4-1) BR Definitely more of a bantamweight, last fight at 141lbs.
Izabela Badurek (6-4-0) PL Better off at a lower weight class, like flyweight.
Allison Schmidt (1-0-0) US
Bruna Araujo (1-0-0) BR
Kate Collins (1-0-0) CA
Angelica Vezzoli (1-0-0) IT 1-0 as Ammy
Gisele Barbosa (1-1-0) BR Missed weight for a featherweight fight with Ana Costa, (1-3-0) BR now, who last lost to Santanna by decision.

Maria Messer (1-2-0) US
Germania Lascano (2-0-0) EC (One fight at 135lbs)
Luz Vazquez (2-0-0) AR (Contradictory info on her weight class, little more towards 135lbs.)
Jaqueline Ferreira (2-3-0) BR
Diana Morais (1-1-0) BR
Annie DeCrescente (1-2-0) US Contradictory info on her weigh ins.
Karina Akopyan (1-2-0) RU
Estefane Tefa (1-0-0) BR
Shelia Jardim (1-1-0) BR
Ana Hidalgo (1-1-0) EC
Bryanna Fissori (2-4-0) US
Janice Meyer (2-3-0) US 5'9'' Tall but slender.
Gemma Pike (1-2-0) AU (DE) (More of a bantamweight, or large flyweight, in my opinion.)
Ana Costa (1-3-0) BR
Miranda Dearing (0-1-0) US
Tatiana Taran (0-1-0) IT
Maria Casanova (3-6-1) FR A 135er fighting up.
Amanda Miller (0-1-0) US
Leah McCourt (0-1-0) GB
Laurą Ciulkeviciute (0-1-0) LT
Olga Popova (0-1-0) RU
Tainara Karine Teixeira (0-1-0) BR
Joana Magalhães (0-1-0) PT Small for the weight class.
Rukhshona Murodova (0-1-0) RU
Gina Daniels (0-1-0) CA
Heloisa Azevedo (0-1-0) BR
Yulia Novikova (0-1-0) RU
Tatiana Portnova (0-2-0) RU

--Retired & Unlikely to return to competition--

Peggy Morgan (4-4-0) US (I see Morgan is training bjj and boxing, etc.)
Marloes Coenan (23-7-0) NE

Last edited:
UFC fighters with some level of history at featherweight or nearby featherweight (Probably not a complete list):

At least two fights at featherweight:

Yana Kunitskaya (Fighting Sara Mcmann)
Lina Lansberg
Amanda Nunes
Germaine de Randamie
Ashlee Evans-Smith
Holly Holm
Lauren Murphy
Mara Romero Borella
Roxanne Modafferi*
Leslie Smith
Lucie Pudilova
Ketlen Vieira (I recall having had her at featherweight years ago but lots of "changes" have been made to her record and her opponents' records since then.)

Tonya Evinger (Once at 145lbs and three times at 140lbs, she has also fought at flyweight a few times as has Leslie Smith for that matter.)

Sarah Moras (Actually more 140lbs and change three times. Alexis Dufresne missing weight was the cause of one of these, catchweight at 143lbs.)

Marion Reneau (Definitely once but I recall there being a 138lbs fight years ago associated with her.)

Raquel Pennington (Once)

Out of action in the UFC for one reason or another:

Ronda Rousey
Cindy Dandois
Kelly Faszholz
Alexis Dufresne

*I kept trying to remember to put Modafferi in there. Hehe. Of course she did not really belong in that division, it was mostly Open Weight for women in Japan back then. Just finding a fight not 10+lbs outside of your comfort zone about be a good thing back then.
--

As a blast from the past I am going to, in spoilers, include a look at the Feather Division via the old Women's MMA by Weight Class list as of, probably June, 2015.

Featherweight - 145Ibs

1 Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino (13-1-0, NC1) BR (US) 2/15 IFC
2 Marloes Coene (22-6-0) NL 10/14 BFC
3 Julia "The Jewel" Budd (7-2-0) CA 2/15 BFC
4 Charmaine Tweet (6-5-0) CA 2/15 IFC
5 Faith "The Immortal" Van Duin (5-1-0) NZ 4/15 IFC
6 Arlene Blencowe (6-4-0) AU 5/15 BFC
7 Amanda "Lady Killer" Bell (3-3-0) US 4/15 IFC
8 Annalisa "No Fear" Bucci (7-4-0) IT 10/14
9 Latoya "Black Mamba" Walker (5-0-0) US 4/15 IFC (146.6lbs)
10 Jessica Miele (4-1-0) US 6/15
11 Fallon Fox (5-1-0) US 9/14
12 Maria Hougaard Djursaa (5-5-0) DK 11/14
13 Peggy Morgan (3-3-0) US 4/15 IFC
14 Andria Wawro (3-2-0) US 6/14 IFC
15 Lissette Neri (6-2-0) US 12/14
16 Megan Anderson (4-1-0) AU 12/14
17 Adrienna Jenkins (18-6-0) US BFC 5/15
18 Daria Ibragimova (9/12-1-0) UA 3/15 IFC
19 Bryanna Fissori (2-0-0) US 6/15
20 Lucie Pudilova (2-0-0) CZ 3/15
Roberta Paim (4-0-0) BR 8/14
Tamikka Brents (2-2-0) US 9/14 IFC
Diana Atkin (2-0-0) CA 5/14
Ketlen Vieira (3-0-0) BR 1/15
Iony Razafiarison (2-1-0) FR 6/15 BFC
Anastasia Kravets (2-1-0) UA 3/14
Cassie Crisano (2-2-0, 1NC) US 5/14 IFC
Kenani Mangakahia (3-2-0) AU 8/14
Julia Stoliarenko (1-2-1) LT 3/15
Marina Shafir (1-1-0) US 8/14 IFC
Yolanda Arias (2-1-0) SV 8/14
Debi Studer (2-0-0) CH 12/14
Camilla Hinze (1-0-0) DK 12/14
Maria Chiana Bontun (1-0-0) IT 10/14
Naomi Staller (1-1-0) DE 12/14
Sandra Ameziane (1-1-0) FR 1/15
Lacie Jackson (2-3-0) US 1/15
Anne Merkt (2-3-0) DE 9/14
Megan van Houtum (1-2-0) NL 8/14
Lena Buytendijk (1-2-0) NL 2/14
Anastasia Plisenkova (3-3-0) UA 4/15
Beatriz Zambonini (1-1-0, 1NC) BR 5/14
Elena Bondarenko (2-3-0) UA 10/14
Zoie Shreiweis (1-3-0) AU 12/14
Monique Bastos (1-2-0) BR 1/15
Kerry Barrett (1-2-0) AU 7/14
Mary Charbonneau (0-1-0, 1NC) US 1/15
Anissa Haddaoui (0-1-0) NL 2/14
Brandis Lafrombois (0-1-0) US 3/14
Katarzyna Jakubczyk (0-1-0) PL 4/14
Liliam Lika (0-1-0) BR 8/14
Juliana Leite (0-1-0) BR 10/14
Jodie Struzik (0-1-0) AU 10/14
Maegan Goodwin (0-1-0) US 139lbs 10/14
Dolores Laisa Coimbra (0-1-0) BR 11/14
Ariane Souze (0-1-0) BR 7/14
Glauciele Silva (0-1-0) BR 5/14
Liliam Lika (0-1-0) BR 8/14
Sylvia Nagel (0-2-0) DE 12/14
Leslie Rodriguez (0-2-0) US 6/14
Stephanie Guyodo (0-2-0) FR 6/14
Rena Pena (0-2-0) US 7/14
Zulena Alvarez (0-2-0) SV 8/14
Kelsey Jorgenson (0-2-0) US 4/15
Janice Meyer (0-2-0) US 6/15
Natalia Guzovina (0-3-0) UA 4/14
Helin Paara (1-3-0) EE 4/14
Yulia Drukteynite (1-5-0) UA 3/15
Alina Yeromina (0-6-0) UA 4/15

* Injured/Inactive - Talita Nogueira (6-0-0) BR 12/13 BFC; Alexis DuFresne (5-2-0) US 1/15 BFC;
==

Catchweight
Luciana Pereira (5-4-1) BR 4/15 (137lbs)
Amy Coleman (1-0-0) US 1/15 (138+lbs)
Deniss Soto (1-0-0) MX 12/14 (139lbs)
Hatice Ozyurt (1-3-0) NL 5/15 (138lbs)
Ilona Daurova (0-1-0) RU 4/15 (137lbs)
Aimee Flores (0-1-0) MX 12/14 (139lbs)
G -
Karine Silva (1-0-0) BR 4/15
Cynthia Candido (0-2-0) BR 4/15

Last edited:
High quality video of Antonina Shevchenko's latest fight is now up. It's interesting how similar yet different the sisters are in their fighting style, they have many of the same techniques but use them in different ways. Antonina uses the left straight as her go-to punch whereas Valentina goes with the right hook, both sisters are pretty good with both punches but they're also better with the one that they use more often. I think it makes sense too with Antonina being the taller fighter, the left straight makes good use of her reach and with Valentina the right hook is great for catching opponents coming in on her, and she has the speed advantage & reflexes to make it work well. Antonina also does well at sneaking in the uppercuts in her combos, Valentina's shown uppercuts in her open workouts but I don't think she's ever used them in her fights.

Now that we have better video, Antonina's ground game wasn't as bad as I first thought. Her guard isn't as active as her sister's but she has good tie-ups to control posture and keep her opponent from getting her arms free to do damage. Armbar setup was almost identical to the one her sister got on Pena, but she wasn't fast enough and didn't get her hips high enough to lock it in. She also left her arm out while working to stand back up, a good grappler could've made her pay by grabbing a keylock or armbar submission off it, or using it to secure a grip for a back take.

IMO the UFC needs to sign her. She's the best striker at 135 and would easily be a top 10 fighter in the division, and likely top 5 with a bit of work on her grappling.

IMO the UFC needs to sign her. She's the best striker at 135 and would easily be a top 10 fighter in the division, and likely top 5 with a bit of work on her grappling.
Her clinch work isn't as impressive as her sister, she is going have much more touble against grapplers than Val.

I wouldn't call her the best striker at 135, because I think she lacks the necessary tools to fight as a kickboxer at top level MMA.

Her clinch work isn't as impressive as her sister, she is going have much more touble against grapplers than Val.

Wouldn't bet on that, Valentina was not having a fun time in the clinch against her sister. Antonina can do all the same things as her sister, but she chooses to use clinch positions that let her get back to the outside more easily.

I wouldn't call her the best striker at 135, because I think she lacks the necessary tools to fight as a kickboxer at top level MMA.

I disagree. The most important tools for a striker are footwork and distance control, and in those areas she's about as good as it gets. We don't know how well she deals with wrestling shot takedowns, but trying to get her down from the clinch ain't gonna be fun with her Muay Thai and Sanda background. Even if she fights as a straight up boxer, there's no one other than de Randamie who can trade hands with her.

7vHUHdAqmoo.jpg

Thanks Thirdpres for the list of fighters. So now we can all see that there are some potential, but the question remains. Why is not UFC recruiting them into it's roster? Are they really going to shut down the division? Or are they just watching what will happen to Cristiane and focusing on new 125lbs division? They are only giving business advantage to Bellator more.

According to what Marion Reneau has said after I ask
on Instagram she has fought at featherweight once but
has been a bantamweight every other time since.

I dunno if this has been posted before but Leslie Smith vs. Aspen Ladd is set to happen at some UFC event on April 21st:

Wanted to see Leslie vs. Bethe but this should be a fun one!

Cool that Joanna J. is carrying the Olympic torch for Poland. A well-deserved honor.

Ladd vs. Smith April 21 is an entertaining fight. Will look at some of Smith's fights. Enjoy Ladd's super focus during her fights.

Thanks @Thirdpres for that write-up. Very informative.

Look forward to the next Rizin in May. Watched my first full Rizin event last week and really enjoyed it. Will watch more going forward.

Invicta FC 27 is coming up Saturday. This past year I got into watching their full events and enjoy them. Here's the card:

Bantamweight: Pannie Kianzad (8-2) vs. Sarah Kaufman (18-4, 1 NC)
Flyweight: Vanessa Porto (19-8) vs. Mariana Morais (12-5)
Strawweight: Sharon Jacobson (4-2) vs. Ashley Nichols (3-1)
Atomweight: Ashley Cummins (5-4) vs. Stephanie Alba (3-1, 1 NC)
Flyweight: Brogan Walker-Sanchez (4-0) vs. TBA
Featherweight: Felicia Spencer (3-0) vs. Akeela Al-Hameed (0-0)
Strawweight: Mallory Martin (1-2) vs. Tiffany Masters (2-1)
Atomweight: Mellissa Wang (1-0) vs. Loma Lookboonmee (0-0)
Strawweight: Jade Ripley (0-0) vs. Helen Peralta (0-0)

Here's an article about it on Invicta's site: http://www.invictafc.com/2017/12/19...s-pannie-kianzad-vs-sarah-kaufman-main-event/

Some things I look forward to this year include seeing Rose's first title defense, Joanna's return, another Nunes fight, Rena trying to bounce back, Nicco Montano's first defense, Cyborg, many good fighters too numerous to name. Especially learning more about newer fighters. Exciting non-title fights and surprises keep me watching. Here's to a great 2018!

Thanks @Thirdpres you're the man

What pisses me off is that Bellator made a great work scouting WFWs at 2017, WHY THE FUCK UFC did let that happen? Why they didn't tried to match the offers? Olga Rubin for example is a great prospect and some of that fighters are marketable lol. I really don't get. Can't believe this stupid money era will be all about fake belts and a fake division aswell. Not a good moment for 135/145 and UFC has to make a decision fast..

I think Ladd got this, but was expecting L. Smith to fight someone better ranked since she's 3-1 in last 4, with loss being against Cyborg. I still wondering who they will match against GDR, she climbed 5 positions in UFC rankings without actually fighting.

Excited for this card aswell:

Back