Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Hoping everyone is staying safe & getting some fresh air & exercise outside.

I live in Northern California, which has, until recently, been plagued by fires and the smoke from those fires. There have been days when I have gone out to my car and found it to be covered in ash. So, the poor air quality has kept me from exercising outside for quite some time. But, air quality finally seems to have cleared up. I expect to be exercising outside again very soon.

I hope everyone else in this thread stays healthy and fit.

Rankings Update:
Andrade is now out of strawweight which mean Carla #3 like I was saying is happening.
New number 15 Souza? I guess Van Buren dominant win over her means nothing to rankings. Who would you have #15 now? it felt like there's many women who could have got it to me, but Souza wasn't one I thought.

Souza is scheduled to fight Murata Nov. 14. Maybe they moved her up for that one? Murata will be a good test for her.

Why is Andrade out of strawweight? Didn't she say she wants to fight there? That she'd be delighted to fight Val?

What's Van Buren up to? Hope they schedule something for her, she's fun to watch.

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 182
NOV 14, 2020
us.gif
UFC APEX, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES

1538367553976_20160508062147_1DX_4676.JPG
Livinha Souza
14 - 2 - 0
vs
1480317477murata.jpg
Kanako Murata
11 - 1 - 0

Souza is scheduled to fight Murata Nov. 14. Maybe they moved her up for that one? Murata will be a good test for her.

Why is Andrade out of strawweight? Didn't she say she wants to fight there? That she'd be delighted to fight Val?

What's Van Buren up to? Hope they schedule something for her, she's fun to watch.

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 182
NOV 14, 2020
us.gif
UFC APEX, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES

1538367553976_20160508062147_1DX_4676.JPG
Livinha Souza
14 - 2 - 0
vs
1480317477murata.jpg
Kanako Murata
11 - 1 - 0

Personally, I believe is because the UFC is moving around fighters with good records to try and make WFW a strong division. I also believe this why they are hiring so many young prospects for the division. They are making a serious effort to build it up.

Yeah it does appear like a log-jam near the top. I'd put Andrade as numero uno contender, Calvillo at 2. If Calvillo gets healthy soon I'd like to see her call out and fight Murphy.

Val v. Maia is scheduled for November 21. Hoping it takes place without a hitch in weight cut, travel etc. Presuming Valentina dominates another title defense, I think she might have a say in her next opponent. I don't think the others have earned that right. Though they will certainly keep up with the drama haha.

Hey did anyone watch that full Submission Hunter grappling tournament the other night? I've been looking for a written review and can't find one.

October 30 for ONE:

Jing Nan Xiong
14 - 2 - 0

VS

Tiffany Teo
9 - 1 - 0

– for women's flyweight title

Is this a good one? Anyone have any thoughts like what to watch for, strengths & weaknesses of each opponent, things of that nature.

Hoping everyone is stating safe & getting some fresh air & exercise outside. These are strange times. I'm grateful for the ability to communicate with people from all around the world here. I love reading all the varied thoughts. Especially enjoy fight previews and analysis. Wishing each & every one of you continued health!
Xiong vs Teo I was excellent, and the rematch should be as well. Teo has crisp striking, but Xiong was incredibly accurate, and hit harder as well. After a knockdown in the fourth, the ref knew Teo had had enough:
tiffany-teo-xiong-jing-nan-2.jpg

The rematch should be interesting, because both have changed camps since then. Xiong, in particular, went from Bali MMA to moving to Singapore and training at Evolve, and from everything I hear about Evolve, there's no set head coch there, and no real direction. I listened to an interview with Teo recently, and she's coming in with a coll confidence that has me nervous for Xiong.

Rankings Update:
Andrade is now out of strawweight which mean Carla #3 like I was saying is happening.
New number 15 Souza? I guess Van Buren dominant win over her means nothing to rankings. Who would you have #15 now? it felt like there's many women who could have got it to me, but Souza wasn't one I thought.

Without Andrade and Suarez in there, Strawweight looks less impressive. The fighters there need to step it up, at this pace Flyweight is going to overtake it as the must watch division soon. 125lbs has unranked fighters to spare, the top of the division has been very active this year, the champion has a fight scheduled for next month, and prospects/veterans are moving to that class left and right. Meanwhile 115 is dead, we have Gadelha vs Xiaonan soon and that's the only fight worth anything for the title picture. Torres/Hill and Dern/Jandirova are ones to watch, but they're not going to move the division along.

I know 145 is a terrible division but why has Pam still not gotten a fight yet? It is not like there are any prospects that she will kill off early. She only fought once in 2018 and 2019. Invicta got to get her a string of 2 or 3 fights in a row.

Because there's no one to fight, besides the woman she beat to win the title. Invicta's Featherweight division is even worse than the UFC's, and with this pandemic and traveling restrictions, I doubt athletes overseas are even going to bother with all the headaches and quarantine times, for an Invicta payday. I wouldn't mind Kaufman getting an immediate title shot against Sorenson, but I doubt she's got interest in fighting for such a low pay anymore.

Without Andrade and Suarez in there, Strawweight looks less impressive. The fighters there need to step it up, at this pace Flyweight is going to overtake it as the must watch division soon. 125lbs has unranked fighters to spare, the top of the division has been very active this year, the champion has a fight scheduled for next month, and prospects/veterans are moving to that class left and right. Meanwhile 115 is dead, we have Gadelha vs Xiaonan soon and that's the only fight worth anything for the title picture. Torres/Hill and Dern/Jandirova are ones to watch, but they're not going to move the division along.

Because there's no one to fight, besides the woman she beat to win the title. Invicta's Featherweight division is even worse than the UFC's, and with this pandemic and traveling restrictions, I doubt athletes overseas are even going to bother with all the headaches and quarantine times, for an Invicta payday. I wouldn't mind Kaufman getting an immediate title shot against Sorenson, but I doubt she's got interest in fighting for such a low pay anymore.
Kaufman vs Sorenson was not a matchup that crossed my mind but I think I love it.

Tapology has updated the records for Chinese promoter WLF W.A.R.S. (Warriors' Arena of Ruthless Submission) through August. Some noteworthies:
-Shiming went 4-0 for the year, wining their strawweight tournament and improving to 12-3 as a pro. Best wins: Ding Miao and Liu Xiaoni. Needs to fight better competition, which even she admitted on social media.
-UFC Academy fighter Huang Feier went 3-0, but against comp who combined are 1-1
-Ding Miao, easily China's most "marketable fighter, went 0-3, dropping her record to 13-6

Not sure the details on the strawweight tournament. It looks to be a round robin, with many new fighters coming in, likely due to injury. Can confirm Shiming, Ding Miao, Xu Wanying, Wang Luping, Liu Xiaoni

I live in Northern California, which has, until recently, been plagued by fires and the smoke from those fires. There have been days when I have gone out to my car and found it to be covered in ash. So, the poor air quality has kept me from exercising outside for quite some time. But, air quality finally seems to have cleared up. I expect to be exercising outside again very soon.

Going out is overrated anyway, you could always workout at home, p90x is pretty intense
Screen_Shot_2017-11-10_at_10.36.15_AM.jpg

Hope you're doing well!

Curran's first UFC fight was a Fight-Of-The-Night award-winning loss. After the UFC gives you $50k, I think they become reluctant to let you go easily.
That bonus has nothing to do with it. Curran's husband was Dan's kids' surf instructor.
That is part of the reason why I love MMA but have never really liked all the other sports that comprise MMA. I have 0 interest in ever watching wrestling. 0 interest in boxing, kick boxing and MT. 0 interest in GI BJJ and point BJJ. The only one I have cared about in the past is Sub Only BJJ. I LOVED that Eddie Bravo vs Gracie match and the kid super fights.
I like watching the singular sports still. Good boxing is a beautiful thing to watch, and good Muay Thai as well. I'll watch college wrestling if it's on, because I wrestled in High School, so it's easy to follow.
The problem with some seperate combat sports, and grappling sports in particular (Judo, submission grappling) is that they always evolve (and sometimes adapt the rules as well) away from their intended purpose and become less and les like what they started as.Olympic Judo is nothing like what Kano created for Japanese police to use, and submission grappling has become useless as a self defense art.
I know 145 is a terrible division but why has Pam still not gotten a fight yet? It is not like there are any prospects that she will kill off early. She only fought once in 2018 and 2019. Invicta got to get her a string of 2 or 3 fights in a row.
Probably logistics.
Seems UFC rankings panel is actually adopting some standards, including no ranking in more than one weight class.

I don't think Kristina Williams needs Invicta since her career is not completely gone but a stint
at LFA might get her back on track.
I remember when people thought she was the next big thing because she beat Heather Hardy. This is why I preach level of competition so much. People are talking like Valerie Loureda is a killer now. I will wait to label her that until we see how she does vs someone we know is good. I will admit I am no expert on Kristina since I have not really took an analytical view of her fights yet. She did not seem special enough to me to set aside more time for that.

From regular fight viewing she seems like she suffers from the same thing Jessica Penne does. She seemed slow and unathletic. You can do well being those two things until the level of competition goes up. I also remember all her combos being predictable. Where it starts with punches but always ends with some type of kick.

Obviously she is still young in her career and can still improve but usually people who are unathletic/slow don't improve drastically. Roxy being the exception to the rule due to her being poorly trained most of her career. I also don't see Invicta as a bad place for her. She needs to improve and Invicta has a wide range of talent at 125. LFA is just going to feed her cans and she will get beat the second she faces higher comp again. I could be wrong but this is my opinions on Kristina.

I don't know about things of that nature, they are way over my pay grade in MMA, hehe :) But Xiong vs. Lee was super fun twice, and she has managed to entertain me other times too. Also, check the first one to get an idea of what might be coming:

Thanks. Now I'm psyched for the rematch. P.S. the commentary cracks me up. 'Xion Jin Nan with a right hook. A left hook. She's got more hooks than a tackle box.'

Thanks and same to you and your loved ones my friend.

Xiong vs Teo I was excellent, and the rematch should be as well. Teo has crisp striking, but Xiong was incredibly accurate, and hit harder as well. After a knockdown in the fourth, the ref knew Teo had had enough:
tiffany-teo-xiong-jing-nan-2.jpg

The rematch should be interesting, because both have changed camps since then. Xiong, in particular, went from Bali MMA to moving to Singapore and training at Evolve, and from everything I hear about Evolve, there's no set head coch there, and no real direction. I listened to an interview with Teo recently, and she's coming in with a coll confidence that has me nervous for Xiong.

Interesting back story going into the rematch. Thanks. Is Xiong the fighter who fought Angela Lee twice, beat her the first time, then moved down in weight and lost the second one? Also, how has Teo looked since she fought Xiong that first time? Has she fought any good competition since then? She must be licking her chops for this rematch.

Back