Official Women's Division Discussion Thread #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoJo posted this on twitter:

CCfIRfpXIAA9G7_.jpg

True or false: If UFC starts a flyweight division, it would be dominated by 135s moving down instead of 115s moving back up or current 125s. I could see Tate finally getting a belt there.
Tate would lose to Joanna and Claudia if they'd move up. I'm not sure Eye would return to 125 but maybe Andrade would drop.

Tate would lose to Joanna and Claudia if they'd move up. I'm not sure Eye would return to 125 but maybe Andrade would drop.

I love how people jump on a bandwagon right after a fighter wins and jump off right after they lose.

Tate, who went 3 rounds with Ronda Rousey, would LOSE to a couple of 115ers? Ok, whatever you say, boss.

I love how people jump on a bandwagon right after a fighter wins and jump off right after they lose.

Tate, who went 3 rounds with Ronda Rousey, would LOSE to a couple of 115ers? Ok, whatever you say, boss.
The first time I saw Joanna fight was in 2011 when she won the 132 lb finals at the European Muay Thai Championships. Needless to say I became a fan long before she beat Carla.

Miesha won't walk around at 145 lbs if she were to compete at 125. She stated she has to keep weight on to be competitive at 135 and is a natural 125 girl. So Miesha wouldn't have much of size advantage over Joanna and very well could weigh less than the 140 lb Claudia.

Vs Joanna: Miesha is like Carla though slower and larger yet not necessarily stronger. Joanna would keep her away with punches and circle away from Miesha's slow, telegraphed shots which would have diminished momentum by the time her hands touch Joanna. I see Joanna finishing Miesha in similar fashion as Carla.

Vs Claudia: Miesha lacks the hand speed to keep the faster Claudia at bay despite having a 3.5" reach advantage. With that said, Claudia wouldn't have trouble getting inside to box or grapple and drag down Tate. I always believed that Claudia would out wrestle Carla; Because of the comparison I made above, she'd likely out wrestle Miesha and keep her down.

Last edited:
Interesting theoretical discussion...there are several good fighters at 125. I`d have to believe the UFC would bring in Honchak if they were going to make a 125 division. It`s hard to think of many people who could beat her (presently).

But, I`ll say this (I`m accused of being a Tater): Tate could possibly be champion at 125. She would be one of about 3-4 people I would name as possible champs. I don`t think she`ll ever be champ at 135.

Jarl

Miesha can certainly win the flyweight belt. It ultimately depends on who goes there when she does. She's already campaigned to Dana asking for the division to be created and no doubt Miesha would be one of the first girls to commit.

I see Joanna finishing Miesha in similar fashion as Carla.

Joanna has like a 45 percent finish rate and couldn't finish Juliana Lima. Carla looked like she might have been mentally broken before the fight and the BW elite apparently break harder than the SW ones lol. So that's a bold prediction.

I am so excited that Celine is getting a fight.

And I think the 125 lb division in the UFC isn't as far off as people (like Dana) say it is. :) I mean, he said "Never" and like within that year it happened. Skilled female fighters are popping up out of the woodwork.

And I think the 125 lb division in the UFC isn't as far off as people (like Dana) say it is. :) I mean, he said "Never" and like within that year it happened. Skilled female fighters are popping up out of the woodwork.

I really hope this is true. I think everyone would be better off if the UFC had a flyweight division. Less brutal weight cuts, fewer fighters not making weight, fewer size mismatches.

Another Celine Haga fan! (Yay!) :D It looks like she has a game opponent, but I`m confident Celine will come out victorious and gain win #2 on her soon-to-be historic 17 fight win streak.

@BigMuffler...I think you are underselling Lima. No one finishes her, even the champions of the UFC and Invicta.. I predict a very tough fight for Penne.

Jarl

@BigMuffler...I think you are underselling Lima. No one finishes her, even the champions of the UFC and Invicta.. I predict a very tough fight for Penne.

I didn't say she was easy to finish, I was mainly arguing against the perception of JJ as an unstoppable KO machine when she really has 3/9 wins by T/KO and one by sub.

As for 125 division I'm not sure if 135 and 115 are truly deeper enough to weather the potential loss of contenders from its addition.

Top 5 Liz Carmouche and top 5 Felice Herrig.

Ok. Roxy has spoken. 125ers before the end of the year.

Another thing to think about is more divisions means more champions to promote. It would be great to be able to market twice as many champions... you get twice the chance of having exciting/marketable ones. After you build them, superfights open up.

True or false: If UFC starts a flyweight division, it would be dominated by 135s moving down instead of 115s moving back up or current 125s

I think this is true. I don't see any fighter who can make the cut to 115, and still fight strong, give up the size advantage to be a smaller fighter in the 125 division.

I do think there may be an exodus from 115 if a 105 UFC division opens up. This is the division I'd personally rather see in the UFC before 125. Fighters like Hamasaki, Waterson, Penne, Ham, Tiburcio, Chambers, Hill... I think this could be a popular division for the UFC.

There could be some 135er dropping down if a 125 division opened up, simply because some fighters want to avoid Ronda. But, I wonder how many fighters can actually cut (in a healthy way) to 125...not many, I think. There are a lot of bigger fighters in BW including many who used to fight at 145.

There are more fighters out there at 125 than any other weight class. And there are more and more (female) fighters turning pro. I don`t think making a UFC fly weight division would leach too much talent from SW or BW. They could bring in plenty of fighters (i.e. loot another Invicta division) and have a few defectors from BW and SW.

Making on AW division, on the other hand, probably would induce more defections from SW and might have a significant impact on the division.

Jarl

The most likely bantamweights would be Miesha Tate, Jessica Andrade, Jessica Eye, Bethe Correia, and Cat Zingano since they all have mass they can atrophy yet still be effective at 125. They'd just reduce lean mass and walk around 10 lbs lighter than now. Though Miesha is the only one to my knowledge to publicly state a preference of going to 125.

I believe the first to fill the division would be Miesha (and perhaps Andrade), a bunch of 115 girls and those presently competing at 125 in Invicta and internationally. When you think of the potential list, it would no doubt be a stacked and talented division.

Making on AW division, on the other hand, probably would induce more defections from SW and might have a significant impact on the division.

Jarl

The LAST thing I'd worry about is defections from 115. It is by FAR the most stacked WMMA division. It's taken less than a year for Invicta to build it back up and the UFC has competitive non TUF20 talent kicking ass already.

105 could take half the talent from the UFC 115 division and it would rebuild it in a MONTH. I can't say the same about 135 if a 125 division is formed.

The LAST thing I'd worry about is defections from 115. It is by FAR the most stacked WMMA division. It's taken less than a year for Invicta to build it back up and the UFC has competitive non TUF20 talent kicking ass already.

105 could take half the talent from the UFC 115 division and it would rebuild it in a MONTH. I can't say the same about 135 if a 125 division is formed.

Agreed

I think this is true. I don't see any fighter who can make the cut to 115, and still fight strong, give up the size advantage to be a smaller fighter in the 125 division.

I do think there may be an exodus from 115 if a 105 UFC division opens up. This is the division I'd personally rather see in the UFC before 125. Fighters like Hamasaki, Waterson, Penne, Ham, Tiburcio, Chambers, Hill... I think this could be a popular division for the UFC.

Don't forget that with a 105 division, we could possibly see Satoko Shinashi on division (i assume, a lot of "ifs" on this one: If Deep let her go, If he division appears, and IF the UFC ignores her age and sign her).

Also, besides that, she is too small even for atomweight.

I would disagree given that BW actually has more fighters than SW and there are probably good prospects out there who just aren't as known similar to how few people were high on Moroz or Joanna prior to them being in the UFC, but regarding AW, yeah it might not be that harmful to SW considering the fighters it leeches away likely won't be ones people think would be top contenders at 115.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back