Old school punk culture...

I lived downtown Montréal in the 90s and there was quite a few there begging for change and cigarettes. Most were okay and did their things. Some were asshole trying to intimidate people in giving them cigarettes. I tried to pick a fight with a few and never got lucky.

We very well could have crossed paths.
This vid does a great job summing up the vibe of that time and place.

Nice, I hope we shared a joint or a beer one time, or maybe even a balloon lol

I knew about this doc but I havent seen it yet, thanks for the link, definitely gonna check it out

I got a book called 924 Gilman, The Story So Far thats a pretty good read and does a decent job of taking you back to those wild days

Nice, I hope we shared a joint or a beer one time, or maybe even a balloon lol

I knew about this doc but I havent seen it yet, thanks for the link, definitely gonna check it out

I got a book called 924 Gilman, The Story So Far thats a pretty good read and does a decent job of taking you back to those wild days
Wild they were. The punk scene in NorCal in the 90s was incredible especially in the Bay Area.
I will look this book up for sure.

I had a mohawk once that I would spike up but I wasn't a punk I was a metalhead hahaha!

In the Bay Area it was the Punks vs the Metal Heads in the early days. I was too young for that scene, but have always been a Metal Head. Nowadays that rivalry is gone and they both respect each other and there is a good amount of crossover.

We had a great scene in Sacramento CA. As I remember the two important venues were the Cattle Club and The Loft.
The Cattle Club was a larger spot that brought in more well-known bands. I saw the Subhumans, the Circle Jerks, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Etc.
The Loft was a second story room on top of something? on the corner of 21st and P. There was a liquor store adjacent so you could get what you wanted if you wanted it.
The bands that played there were hard as fuck.
The Yah Mos and The Greens were the best local bands!
Can only find Yah Mos on YT.

Punk aesthetic is so fuckin tryhard even tho they act like they don't care about shit... fucking wack

Can't sleep on Grimple. This band's sound was brain breaking for me.

Edit: I somehow ended up at a house party in Fresno and they were playing. It was really fun.

Last edited:
one Saturday i took a walk to zipperheads, When I went to school in Philly

I did a term paper, well actually a term mix tape on humor in punk rock music in the late 80's that is one of the proudest academic accomplishments in my lifetime of poor academic achievements.

Everyone else was turning in these giant papers in big binders and i walked up dropped a tape on the professor's desk and walked off.

People were like wtf was that all about and staring at me as I left. Even though i went to a very conservative and fairly religious school in the south at the time, I got an A.

When I was a teenager in the early 90's, I used to hang out at a club called 924 Gilman in Berkeley, Ca, its somewhat famous in certain circles because of all the legendary bands that got their start there before they became famous

I wasnt into the music but it was a curious place to hang at and just people watch all the random weirdos and insane characters that frequented places like that

One night we talked two kids into having a pro wrestling match right there on the floor of the mosh pit and they were getting stepped on as they applied the Figure Four Leglock on each other lol

Another time, I met some stereotypical looking punk dude with the huge mohawk and clothespins all over his leather jacket, me and him just bonded for some reason and we walked down to the gas station on the corner and bought a 24 pack of the cheapest beer possible and just sat there on the curb across the street from the club chugging Natty Lights as he told me all his life problems at home

I wonder whatever happened to him, I hope he's doing well

Memories

Pains me that you saw operation ivy and didn't realize just how amazing that was/is and I'd kill to have that memory.

Only band I've never seen that I really wish I had and pains me more daily knowing that's how it's likely always going to be.

Not sure if I remember this correctly. But I grew up in London in the 90s and as a kid I remember the punk culture.

They would hang out by the arcade corners, they had dumbbells and wrist curls and other exercise equipments.

They were either skinny or built. Now ideally the punk culture had lots of drug users but I always heard there was a subculture within that exercised and coveted toughness and survival by knowing how to fight.

The only thing I remember 8 years old in the mid 90s was this tall dude with orange mohawk ans looked like Lee Maurry in a sense or being imposing. He was the leader of the group. But the group would literally train outside in the alleys. I can't tell if this was real or not but felt like a different world.

I don't recall punks in the 90s being into physical fitness but there were some skins and some hardcore crues that were abaolute units and not to be messed with at all unless you wanted to have a really rough not. It seems like the scene just died over night in the early 2000s.

It's not the same scene it was when I was younger. Only rules were don't be an actual nazi and if someone hits the floor pick em up but at some point between then and now people's views homogenized and if you aren't the most radical of leftists you will be getting in a lot of arguments between sets with folks if you choose to talk to anyone. I'm from Detroit and not London though and maybe shit was different there.

I always liked ska and punk ska better.

Last edited:
Gonna listen to some Operation Ivy now

Gonna find you hits different as an adult ...lol.

That album was my first true love and it had a huge impact on my tastes. I still to this day listen to a lot of old classic punk ska in my playlist. I don't think a day goes by where I don't hear some op ivy.

Back