Oliveira and the glove grab : to be the champ, you have to beat the champ's tricks

Did Oliveira briefly grab the glove ? Probably yes.. Did it prevent Dustin to take his arm off ? Probably yes.. But guess what ? all champs do their dirty tricks, and that doesn't mean they're not deserving.
Aldo used to grab the cage against Mendes, Anderson grabbed Chael's shorts, GSP was greasy, Jon Jones and his eye pokes etc...
Is it fair ? No.. But we're talking about a sport where guys literally shorten their lives for money. We're talking about a sport so violent, so competitive, so hard and so intense that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to stay in the fight.
I'm not even talking about peds here (you should ask the diaz bros what they think about it), but those little tricks are part of the veterans game. And the master of it was Romero, long time olympic wrestler and great at taking breaks during the fight

Does it matter just cause rogan was yelling it iut...
Everyone must not of heard dustin was doing the same thing in the same fight and joe called that out also..

Conor was gonna be flatlined sooner or later in those fights against Diamond.

Absolutely and for Dustin vs Oliveira it was just a question of time until he:

1) Was submitted.
2) Was TKO'd due to Oliveira relentless pace and therefore being exhausted.

At the end of the day, Dustin had nothing for Oliveira.

Oliveira did not cheat.

He was trying to control Poiriers wrist, on accident he grabbed the glove and within two seconds on the clock he had adjusted his grip so that he was holding (controlling) dustins wrist and not gripping his glove.

Oliveira was also controlling Poiriers ankles when the two second "glove grab" occurred; he wasn't at any time (including the two second interval he "grabbed" the glove) maintaining position based on the grab.

Rogan fucked up by saying this on the air. When he was in the midst of verbalizing it to the audience Oliveira very clearly was not grabbing Poiriers glove. He should have just stopped there instead of trying to bait his colleague (Anik) into acknowledging his incorrect assertion. These inadvertent incidental "fouls" happen in every single fight countless times. The reason a ref does not shout at the fighters every time they see one is because they know the fighter committing the "foul" will have adjusted to a legal position before they have time to utter a single word.

This type of thing is so inconsequential it is a shame Rogans stupidity and incompetence is responsible for part of the audience believing Charles cheated when he did not. They really need to stop using him for PPVs he doesn't even understand what he is watching anymore; its why he stated over twenty times during Ryan Halls fight than Minner was in "imminent" danger of being submitted.

For those who did not hear it. Dustin was asked during the post fight press conference about the "glove grab" and he said he did not feel or see a glove grab; thats because there was none.
Damn! I might have a twin brother out there. I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you for your post!

it's a fight muthafookers. covering the mouth impeding breathing, leg locks on the waist causing trauma, grow up! all the things fighters do to win are not a cheat.

Its literally on video video but ok. And poirier didn't say that lol. He said he didn't feel finger which is not the same thing.
The video shows no cheating, it shows less than one second of Charles in a position that he could of had a finger in the glove, but you can’t even see if the finger is actually in the glove for the 0.5 seconds it could have been. Grabbing the wrist is not illegal.

It seemed weird because there was little contact/control over Dustin's body, only the wrist/glove on the upper body, keeping him there. Very weird looking "hold" in that position. Also, Dustin's awful decision to roll out was teh very clear beginning of the end for him. He was winning the fight before then, and may very well have scored knockdowns or even a knockout if the standup kept going how it was going before that moment. So it seems even more important because it was the moment where momentum completely shifted from Dustin winning the fight with better and more impactful strikes to Oliviera totally taking over.

The video shows no cheating, it shows less than one second of Charles in a position that he could of had a finger in the glove, but you can’t even see if the finger is actually in the glove for the 0.5 seconds it could have been. Grabbing the wrist is not illegal.
He's clearly not grabbing the wrist because his thumb isn't wrapped and his knuckle alignment is wrong. The last few seconds of the exchange, his fingers are pretty clearly in the palm opening of the glove.

Idk why this is a point of contention. It is what it is. Oliveira is a beast regardless

Like Poirier using the fence as leverage while grappling with Conor. It is what it is at the end of the day.
OK cool.

Oh....BTW....did you watch the Khabib vs McG fight in Oct 2018? Am guessing 99% probably you did.
Did you see the (approx) 15 fouls during that relatively short 2.5rounds fight? And who committed them and got essentially zero effective warning?
- Just asking bro. Just to be fair, you know. That concept of fairness and 1 rule for all........ :)

This just shows the influence Bro Rogan has over the casuals. If he never says anything, no one cares or even notices. Unfortunately, that "glove grab" happened right before the massive momentum shift, so Rogan made it appear like Charles' cheating is a large factor in why he won, tho I think the reality is Doostin was done. The glove grab did not make him drop to his back and sit in closed guard getting smashed while not doing anything, nor did it prevent the body attack the round before.

OK cool.

Oh....BTW....did you watch the Khabib vs McG fight in Oct 2018? Am guessing 99% probably you did.
Did you see the (approx) 15 fouls during that relatively short 2.5rounds fight? And who committed them and got essentially zero effective warning?
- Just asking bro. Just to be fair, you know. That concept of fairness and 1 rule for all........ :)

Yes I did. It is factual indeed, Conor was is a sleaze bag of a person but make no mistake, my comment has nothing to do with Conor directly. I don't understand why some people get riled up every time Conor is mentioned. Poirier used the fence, Conor cheated against Khabib, Oliveira grabbed the glove, Jones pokes eyes.. It is what it is.

let-it-go-frozen.gif

He's clearly not grabbing the wrist because his thumb isn't wrapped and his knuckle alignment is wrong. The last few seconds of the exchange, his fingers are pretty clearly in the palm opening of the glove.

Idk why this is a point of contention. It is what it is. Oliveira is a beast regardless
It’s a point of contention because people are running around crying cheater when you can’t see any cheating in the clip. In the 3 seconds before the supposed glove grab he clearly had his thumb wrapped, before that he just was holding his arm, and apparently you are able to see him grabbing the glove material alone when no one else can. If it’s not a big deal and shouldn’t be a point of contention, shut up about it.

We have more egrious and desperate attempts at cheating than a quick glove grab. Silva yanking chael into straight punches by grabbing his shorts, chael fake tapping on multiple occasions. I can't lose my mind about that glove grab

This is still a thing?

someone posted a clip of the "glove grab" that more just by accident than anything as he moved to the wrist/hand within a second or so.

So many salty fans grasping at something that was shown to be nothing.

It’s a point of contention because people are running around crying cheater when you can’t see any cheating in the clip. In the 3 seconds before the supposed glove grab he clearly had his thumb wrapped, before that he just was holding his arm, and apparently you are able to see him grabbing the glove material alone when no one else can. If it’s not a big deal and shouldn’t be a point of contention, shut up about it.
Lol it's literally the topic of the thread. I made a passing comment and you made a big deal about it for literally no reason. Many people have said they see exactly what I see. Some people, for whatever reason, are adamantly denying it without the highest quality 4k and perfect camera angle. I don't get it.

I see it. I drilled the sequence. I confirmed what I saw. I'm confident in my answer. You're free to disagree. Like I said, it is what it is. No need to get heated over it.

Poirier was literally controlling his body position, that is not legal. I am also not going to have this discussion again.
You're referring to the mcgregor fight yeah? Walking the cage is 100% legal lol. Always has been. You just can't grip

Dustin only had a moment to make a quick decision on how to get his arm out of there. Charles holding the glove caused Porier to make the not-so-smart move of trying to dive roll out of it only to end up on bottom for the rest of the round.

Yes, maybe Porier shouldnt have dive rolled out, but it was in fact caused by him not being able to yank his arm free. The dive roll actually should have freed him but the glove grab kept his arm in place limiting the roll through to escape.

I would rather blame Dustin on not initiating a scramble while locking down full-guard for over 3 freakin’ minutes…

Yes I did. It is factual indeed, Conor was is a sleaze bag of a person but make no mistake, my comment has nothing to do with Conor directly. I don't understand why some people get riled up every time Conor is mentioned. Poirier used the fence, Conor cheated against Khabib, Oliveira grabbed the glove, Jones pokes eyes.. It is what it is.

EDIT : 1st fight of Poirier/McG 2021 rewatched: absoutely nothing bad / illegal about fence stuff.
Going onto next fight now.

let-it-go-frozen.gif
OK i'm going to go check now both Poirier v McGRegor fights (whole fights) and if Poirier illegally fence grabbed i'll be right back here to say that he did that and he should not have done. EVerything against the fence is legit EXCEPT interlocking fingers or toes thru the mesh.

Last edited:
Back