One judge gave Whitaker round 1

So we can “clearly” interpret how hurt or not Rob was but we can’t “clearly” see that his punches after getting rocked lacked speed/technique?

He was hurt, punching defensively with slowed reflexes and poor technique. He was punching at targets that already closed. He got hit by a grazing left hook after the kick that pushed him back further.

Rob did a good job prior to getting kicked in the head of not looking or performing like that.

Scoring that first round Rob isn’t far fetched but neither is scoring it for Costa.
He won the final exchange after the headkick? Costa was the one backing up as soon as he had his feet under him.costa had less than 3 seconds of offence from the headkick landing to Whittaker throwing back. What more could he possibly do than intelligently defend himself ,work back off the cage and land his own shots after being hurt for a second?

No stoppage was occurring from that sequence for Costa and the fight went on for 10 more mins with Rob winning both rounds clearly. I guess he could have done a backflip between rounds or a DUI test to show he was even more recovered??

Who won round one is going to purely be a matter of opinion. Rob was clearly winning, got rocked with about ten seconds left but quickly got his balance back and he was the one throwing shots in the final seconds. You could make a valid case for scoring the round for either fighter. Next two were decisive though

He won the final exchange after the headkick? Costa was the one backing up as soon as he had his feet under him.costa had less than 3 seconds of offence from the headkick landing to Whittaker throwing back. What more could he possibly do than intelligently defend himself ,work back off the cage and land his own shots after being hurt for a second?

No stoppage was occurring from that sequence for Costa and the fight went on for 10 more mins with Rob winning both rounds clearly. I guess he could have done a backflip between rounds or a DUI test to show he was even more recovered??

Costa landed the kick, pressed forward landing a left hook clean, Rob backs up more, costa chases, switched stances for a right hook, Rob was able to absorb the right hook due to poor spacing from Costa, costa then slips Rob’s weak return jab and avoids Rob’s hook off the jab. Costa didn’t take a step back until after the bell. Where is narrative coming from that Costa backed up after the kick?

What the hell does Rob’s intelligent defense have to do with the physical output of the punches? He was clearly a gear down after the kick.

For that matter, there was nothing intelligent about trading punches in that scenario. Grabbing ahold of Costa or shooting for a takedown were far more intelligent than trading.

Costa cost himself by over pursing and getting goofy footed after the kick. His left hook had limited power has he was caught switch foot when he threw it. The he overpursued after the left smoothering the distance need to provide quality impact.

What does a potential finish after the kick matter? That is all hearsay. What we saw is what we saw. We saw Rob control a round, get nailed, wobble, and fight back. During his fight back, his ability was deminished. After the 1 minute break, Rob’s ability returned.

I scored the fight 30-27, btw. But Rob still got hurt.

Last edited:
People from both sides are exaggerating 1) how badly Whittaker was rocked and 2) how much Whittaker was "dominating" before being rocked. In reality, it was a pretty close round. Another thing, for the people saying "dominating four minutes of the fight" or whatever, I don't think time in MMA is scored unless its top control from grappling or octagon control from backing your opponent up. To my understanding, it's just points based on strikes landed.

Robert outlanded Costa 38 to 27 in the first round. The kick definitely wobbled and hurt him but that doesn't erase everything that happened prior to that. Whittaker also recovered almost instantly and was literally throwing back at the end.

For Costa to steal that round, those numbers need to be closer and/or Robert was still skating around and saved by the bell. If you outland someone significantly, you can't steal away the round by a single strike unless it's a KO.

I did too, Whitaker had recovered from that kick within seconds, yes - before the bell. it did not do enough to negate what Whitaker had done for the rest of that round.

Ahhh yes, the delusional Sherdog Whittaker stans who also believe he beat Izzy in the rematch and Romero in their rematch

You guys are out of touch.

<JonesLaugh>

Whittaker was saved by the bell.

Of course Costa won the round.

Close round. I give it to Whittaker. Costa winning for 10 seconds doesn't beat Whittaker winning for 4 minutes.
I did too, Whitaker had recovered from that kick within seconds, yes - before the bell. it did not do enough to negate what Whitaker had done for the rest of that round.

Thats not how fights are scored. We're not allowed to just make up our own criteria lol.

Immediate impactful moments that come close to ending the fight is weighed over accumulation. Rob had outpointed him up until that point via accumulation but got hurt badly. Costa came close to finishing the fight in an otherwise competitive rd.

It amazes me how many people still use their own understanding instead of the "new"(like 6 years old at this point) criteria.

I gave Costa the first because the kick was the most significant moment of the round that did the most damage, still gave Bobby Knuckles 29-28. If it was 30s left in the first, Rob probably gets finished there.
This 👆

Whittaker was saved by the bell.

Of course Costa won the round.
That's what I thought too, and it's obvious.

But not to some. Honestly I think people just despise Costa so it doesn't allow them to see it without some bias

My guess is if the roles were reversed and Whitaker landed that shot, all the people would flip on their opinion

Agree, that judge is an idiot. When they said 30-27 I was thinking "oh my God, Costa won it, there is not way anyone is giving Whittaker round 1".
Buddy I thought the same and was like noooo judges just botched another one.

But 30-27 Whitaker is wack

But bottom line is Whitaker won so in the end they got it right.

Buddy I thought the same and was like noooo judges just botched another one.

But 30-27 Whitaker is wack

But bottom line is Whitaker won so in the end they got it right.
Ya I thought Whittaker edged it out too, but 30-27 was silly.

I thought Rob was losing round 1 and the wheel kick definitely sealed it for Costa.

I'm not opposed to giving Costa the 1st but serious question: when is it too late to steal a round?

I ask because Robert won 4:45 of that round then Costa landed a shot with 0:15 that severely damaged Rob.

Would you still give Costa the round if he lost 4:58 but landed a close-to-fight-ending shot with 0:02 left? Curious what people say overall... can you steal it a minute away, 30 seconds away, 1 second away with a perfect shot but one that isn't able to score the KO?

Yet another fight that ciuldve been a draw but oh yea draws arent profitable for anyone

It cant just be a damage rating as some fighters are more durable than others. I thought Whittakers striking in that forst was as heavy since he fought Romero. Costa is just a fucking savage.

The answer is to give the shot a significant strike value. Is a monster shot worth 5, 7, 10 significant strikes? It would have to be worth 9 to draw and 10 to win the round.

Back