Only one fighter is undefeated in 10+ championship fights

Jones is 31 years old.
GSP retired at the age 32.
Fedor lost to Werdum at the age of 33.
Anderson lost to Weidman at the age of 36.

Age is coming for Jones, just like everybody else.
On the other hand.
Jones is the same as now as when Anderson Silva first joined the UFC.
Silva had lost 3 times between age 28-30.

Then at 31 he joined the UFC and had one of the best reigns ever.

But he’s fighting Saturday for the second time in 3 months.

I’d say he has made USADA his bitch more so than he did to Cormier and Gus.
You might have a point there, but riding another man's dick is always shady, especially if you're straight.

On the other hand.
Jones is the same as now as when Anderson Silva first joined the UFC.
Silva had lost 3 times between age 28-30.

Then at 31 he joined the UFC and had one of the best reigns ever.
Anderson and Werdum are probably the only fighters I can think of that truly peaked late, despite having a mildly successful career in their 20s.
Jones has essentially had the exact opposite kind of career as those guys. He became champion at 21 while Anderson and Werdum struggled in their 20s and then became champions in their 30s. Total opposites. He's more likely to fall apart by the time he gets close to his mid-30s.

Would be even more impressive if he was a clean athlete.

And make that 11 on saturday

Jones has essentially had the exact opposite kind of career as those guys. He became champion at 21 while Anderson and Werdum struggled in their 20s and then became champions in their 30s. Total opposites. He's more likely to fall apart by the time he gets close to his mid-30s.
Likely - based on what?

I think that there's such a huge variation in terms of how fighter's careers develop that it's very hard to predict a pattern. It's not like comparing a few dozen fighters is statistically significant and can be used as data to draw any dependable conclusions.

And there's no natural law that says that success in your 30s is dependant on failure in your 20s.
Or are you saying that Silva wouldn't have done as well in the UFC if he hadn't lost before that?

(I mean, sure, it "sounds" like an explanation that "you gain more experience from losing than winning" etc.... But on the other hand, many would argue the direct opposite - that your success early on is a predicate of getting more success later in life..etc)

Last edited:
Back