Movies Our greatest living movie star is......

Is Denzel Washington the greatest living movie star?

• Total voters
Outside of MI and the anomaly which was Top Gun, has he really been that big of a draw in recent years, though? Seems he’s done a lot of semi successful films, but none of them have been super hits.

Hell, in terms of franchises, Mission Impossible is way behind the real big hitters, despite doing relatively well in their own right.

Cruise has survived better than most, but he’s still fallen behind the soulless, formulaic dross of recent years.

If not Tom Cruise, who do you believe is the greatest living movie star?

There is literally only one movie star alive right now and is his name is Tom Cruise.

laugh-cant-hold-it-in.gif

If not Tom Cruise, who do you believe is the greatest living movie star?

That’s the point. As I said, TC is just about the last one hanging on, but the day of the movie star is over…..at least for now.

Hell in terms of Box Office, The Rock probably is pretty close to Tom Cruise in the last 15 years. I’m not a fan of his, but tbf to him, he’s carried films on his back pretty well eg likes of San Andreas, Rampage, though his stock has taken a hit recently.

Then you look at someone like Chris Pratt. Guy has been in a load of mega successful films since his break in about 2014. Not sure I’d consider him the biggest movie star in the world. Mario, Jurassic Park, Lego and Marvel made those films more than he did, even though he seems very affable/compotent.

That’s the point. As I said, TC is just about the last one hanging on, but the day of the movie star is over…..at least for now.

Hell in terms of Box Office, The Rock probably is pretty close to Tom Cruise in the last 15 years. I’m not a fan of his, but tbf to him, he’s carried films on his back pretty well eg likes of San Andreas, Rampage, though his stock has taken a hit recently.

Then you look at someone like Chris Pratt. Guy has been in a load of mega successful films since his break in about 2014. Not sure I’d consider him the biggest movie star in the world. Mario, Jurassic Park, Lego and Marvel made those films more than he did, even though he seems very affable/compotent.

Those names are worth noted that's for sure. Especially The Rock.

He’s done a load of films I quite like, and he’s always decent (at least), but truth be told he’s never been in a film I love nor has he ever put in a performance that has ever knocked my socks off.

Like most actors he’s settled into playing “the Denzel Washington” role in the second half of his career.
Training Day?

Training Day?

Thought it was decent. Thought his performance was good.

Obviously Oscars/awards are arbitrary but his performance never really struck me as particularly awe inspiring or anything.

Think I prefer American Gangster over it, tbh.

To me he's the GOAT (and I don't just mean black actors)... if not the GOAT, one of them.

With that said, his star power kinda faded... I'd put The Rock or Tom Cruise (or one of those A-listers) up there as one of the current top actors. Hollywood chooses an "it" guy, and they look like they're trying very hard to make Pedro Pascal the "it" guy.

Tom Cruise is biggest movie star in History ............ despite reports hes still alive

Thought it was decent. Thought his performance was good.

Obviously Oscars/awards are arbitrary but his performance never really struck me as particularly awe inspiring or anything.

Think I prefer American Gangster over it, tbh.
Fair enough.

I thought it was one of the first roles where he stepped out of his "good guy" comfort zone and I just plain really enjoyed the movie

Not even close. Liam Neeson’s movies are literally all exactly the same now. He’s not making stuff like Gladiator 2, Fences, or The Tragedy of MacBeth.

Liam Neeson seems to be doing Seagal type movies exclusively now.

The question was: Greatest Living Movie Star. In that category, Cruise by whatever the fuck he wants. It's not even close. The man almost single-handedly saved cinema last summer with Top Gun: Maverick.
There's a few kinda near his level like Pitt, Denzel, Clint. But none on his level . Been doing movies 40 years only 1 or 2 bombs and just about everything a big box office rake. I wouldn't say it's a stretch to say he's the biggest movie star of all time.

Is he? Are you beating down the doors to go see Equalizer 3?
No, but I’m not itching to see Interview With The Vampire either. I do want to see Equalizer 3 though. The first was great. The second, pretty decent.

I think a lot is made about Tom Cruise being old and doing stunts but I don't think he takes very risky roles. He tries so hard to just play to what works. George Clooney is like 10x the actor Tom Cruise currently aspires to be. Brad Pitt is limited in ability but at least pushes the envelope a little. Even Dicaprio varies his roles some.

One guy who I think would be really deserving of consideration is Mel Gibson. I think we know why he isn't considered but his body of work is in my opinion better then Tom Cruise, both acting and directing. The work he is putting out now is actually kind of fun even if it isn't big budget blockbuster stuff. Dragged Across Concrete was a legitimately great pulpy crime noir movie. I loved every bit of it.
Clooney is basically the same character in every film he's in, to a very uninteresting degree. And the reason Cruise has been taking "safe" roles is because for a while the only thing he's cared about is creating great theater experiences/spectacles. I'm sorry but in my mind boring as fuck 3 hour Oscar bait roles mean nothing to me.

Clooney is basically the same character in every film he's in, to a very uninteresting degree. And the reason Cruise has been taking "safe" roles is because for a while the only thing he's cared about is creating great theater experiences/spectacles. I'm sorry but in my mind boring as fuck 3 hour Oscar bait roles mean nothing to me.

I think Clooney a very different in Solaris, The American, and Michael Clayton.

Back