• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Parrdon the ignorance, but why did Poatan get the blackbelt after the JH fight?

BluntForceTrama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I didnt see any BJJ in this fight....at all

Can someone edumicate me on the nuances here

Mahalo

edit:

Come to think of it, I didnt even know he did BJJ other than being brazillian

Ive never seen the guy use BJJ once

LOL

Last edited:
0ade113c-0dd0-4517-bbde-a19f1dd8f492_text.gif

J/K...

Probably had been coming for a while and just wanted to do the promotion on the biggest stage for the world to see...

He did not get the black belt because he beat Hill LOL... It has nothing to do with the fight, his coach would have given him the belt no matter what, they just decided to wait for this fight so the entire world could see him getting the belt.

Last edited:
yeah it seems weird, its more about trying to give it to him on a big stage. they should mention it in post-fight speech though. Its weird to do it when no skills from that discipline were utilized in the win.

They asked him if he was going to tattoo the black belt. If i was Poatan, I'd put it right around my left wrist.

In any way, OP, the black belt is a symbol of martial arts mastery, ones readiness to use their knowledge to defend themselves and others, or alternatively, their mastery of it in competition. At the same time, even though most people here think Alex is a hypothetical turtle on his back, he's been training with Glover for years and years and openly called out anyone that didn't believe he was a black belt to come grapple with him lol.
No takers so far.

Last edited:
He probably would have got that black belt even if he lost.

Think McGregor got a brown belt after ko-ing someone. Can't remember.

Don't think it's anything to do with how the fight went it's just a good time to give it. An extra reward/honour after a victory.

To be fair Conor has been doing BJJ an awful long time and was a brown belt for a lengthy spell

Conor actually has some good jitz

Nobody understands those bjj belt givings aber zero bjj shown.
Slimey bjj coaches just want to promote themselves...it's so cringe

Pereira is an awesome striker, but so far his bjj has been being a dead fish in the water against guys 10 pounds lighter and shorter.

It's possible this was just used as a platform; it's possible Texeira would have promoted him prior to the event, just chose to postpone doing so to do it big. It doesn't have to be related to having any BJJ elements at the fight.

Yea me and friends were discussing this in text it made no sense at all.

Jones was "officially" a white belt while he had already earned submission victories over TRTor, Rampage, and Lyoto.

Islam's sentiment is true.

don't worry ankalaev and alex are gonna have a bjj black belt qualifying session

Nobody understands those bjj belt givings aber zero bjj shown.
Slimey bjj coaches just want to promote themselves...it's so cringe

Pereira is an awesome striker, but so far his bjj has been being a dead fish in the water against guys 10 pounds lighter and shorter.
Eh his tdd could use some work, but hes not bad at getting up from the vottom

I didnt see any BJJ in this fight....at all

Can someone edumicate me on the nuances here

Mahalo

edit:

Come to think of it, I didnt even know he did BJJ other than being brazillian

Ive never seen the guy use BJJ once

LOL
It's a great question to ask, because it was such a stupid thing to have occurred.
It's like building the best sand castle and winning a Grammy for it.
<{nope}>

Back