Paulo Costa would fight Israel Adesanya "if the people want this fight, let’s make this fight"

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Costa told MMAjunkie Radio he’s pushing for a meeting with ex-champ Weidman (14-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) at UFC 230, which takes place Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

“This fight can show who gets the next title shot after Kelvin Gastelum,” said Costa

There’s another name being thrown at Costa, though he didn’t ask for the input. Many MMA observers want to see him face fellow undefeated prospect Israel Adesanya...

Costa said he really didn`t know Adesanya before he showed up on fight week, and he was unwittingly drawn into a beef with the standout striker. Although he’s not eager to divert from his current goal, he’s not opposed to a meeting with “The Last Stylebender.”

“The first time I heard his name was on Friday when he fought,” Costa said. “People asked me about this fight, and I said I don’t know this guy. But if the people want this fight, let’s make this fight.

“But my priority is Chris Weidman. He’s a former champion, he’s very famous in the world, and he’s higher ranked. But I’m a fighter, and the UFC decides. (UFC President) Dana White decides. I’m here to make the biggest and the greatest fights. So if he wants it and everybody wants it, I’ll fight Israel.”

“I think Israel is more easy to fight than Chris Weidman,” Costa said. “I like the hard fights. Israel, I saw some of his highlights yesterday, and I think he doesn’t have good grappling. He’s more of a standup fighter, so I think it’s easier than Chris Weidman.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/ufc-c...prefers-chris-weidman-open-to-israel-adesanya

Costa deserves a shot if he can beat Weidman. This Israel guy is pretty far down on the totem pole at this point and shouldn't be mentioned as a title contender.

Costa's general mma knowledge is the real deal if he's also never heard of him like most serious mma fans.

Omg. Paulo no. These guys need to be developed apart from each other. Both guys have star power in their region and company wide. Have them fight later. Once they've both had a shot at the title. Have Paulo fight Weidman, and Isreal could get someone like Jacare or Brunson.

As of now I think that's an easy KO for Isreal. Adesanya is a legit kickboxer with high fight IQ in both sports. Paulo is a strong middle weight, who is one of the few fighters that puts in persistent body work. Paulo is not a great striker though, he's been matched up against punching bags.
Uriah "No Fundamentals" Hall was putting a jab in his face all night, and Paulo's only answer was to try to bulldoze through it. Isreal lights him up.

Israel stated when he was in Joe Rogan's podcast that UFC doesn't want them to fight each other yet.

Dana White wouldn't want Adesanya to lose.He already said he's not a fan of the fight.

It's all up to Chris but I can see Chris trying to act like he deserves someone higher

Makes no sense for the company. They should meet, but only sometime down the road.

Omg. Paulo no. These guys need to be developed apart from each other. Both guys have star power in their region and company wide. Have them fight later. Once they've both had a shot at the title. Have Paulo fight Weidman, and Isreal could get someone like Jacare or Brunson.

As of now I think that's an easy KO for Isreal. Adesanya is a legit kickboxer with high fight IQ in both sports. Paulo is a strong middle weight, who is one of the few fighters that puts in persistent body work. Paulo is not a great striker though, he's been matched up against punching bags.
Uriah "No Fundamentals" Hall was putting a jab in his face all night, and Paulo's only answer was to try to bulldoze through it. Isreal lights him up.
Roundtree just KOed a legit kickboxer Saki in the 1st round, bro. Costa can absolutely knock Israel the fuck out.
Ibgz8Pd.gif

Walking steroid vs incoherent social media attention seeker....

Who to root against?

This is why USADA is useless. Costa has been tested numerous times and been clean but people say he's a roider still

That’s a great fight but there’s no need to kill the momentum of one these prospects.
The ufc should build these guys up. They’re both new. Very exciting fighters
Let there names grow a little first.

Roundtree just KOed a legit kickboxer Saki in the 1st round, bro. Costa can absolutely knock Israel the fuck out.
Ibgz8Pd.gif

Still can't believe Saki went out like that. At least get taken down and subbed so you can say he beat you using wrestling like a pussy instead of losing at your own game.

Costa deserves a shot if he can beat Weidman. This Israel guy is pretty far down on the totem pole at this point and shouldn't be mentioned as a title contender.

I guess you are one of those guys who post whodafook.gif each time not a top 5 fighter is mentioned, and then realize he's good when he's fighting for a title. try to watch his fights- you will understand why people are talking about him getting a shot in near future. It will happen soon, and he will get that title.

This is the fight to make. What's the alternative?
Costa vs. Weidman
Israel vs. Jacare

Potentially have two undefeated phenoms lose and the same old faces melting around in the title picture. Hate that type of matchmaking. Have the two unbeaten monsters go toe to toe, winner gets a title shot.

I usually don't like matching two up and coming contenders, but this fight gets me hype. And both guys are young and will easily bounce back from a loss. I say book it.

Dana White wouldn't want Adesanya to lose.He already said he's not a fan of the fight.

i think it's that he doesn't want either guy to lose yet. they are both prospects though I think they are both a little bit overrated. Costa has nothing going on for him besides being a jacked brawler and Adesanya obviously as a huge ground game deficit. They are both going to get exposed at some point

I think its a bad move. I'd love to see this fight but it should be for the title in future.

Noooo not yet, these guys can have a great fight when they are both ranked in the top 5 and that will sell tickets, assuming they both put on a show in their next couple fights.

I wouldn't mind costa fighting Weidman, but I think he needs someone lower in the top 10 first. Beating Uriah hall doesn't deserve a #1 contender fight.

Back