People that choose not to drive!

Do you drive

• Total voters
@Phlog posted some pretty solid evidence today that he doesn't have a car.

I didn't drive outside of rentals for 22 years but I bought a Jeep recently.

I started out of the blue having seizures when I was 11 and that lasted until I was 16. Had to be seizure free for 10 years before I could be cleared to at least get my learners permit. My eyesight started declining back in late 2009 and by early 2010 I got worried, saw an optometrist who believed I may have Keratoconus a degenerative eye disease that causes progressive thinning and curvature of the cornea to the point if not treated can lead to near blindness. Advised I see an Ophthalmologist to which I ended up seeing Dr. Perry one of the foremost Ophthalmologists in the world on Keratoconus. He was able to confirm I had it. Went to Canada to have an experimental treatment done with collagen and UV light which wasn't FDA approved yet in the US. Had to pay $2,000 out of pocket. The procedure stopped the progression of keratoconus in my left eye but my right was too far gone so I had to have a corneal transplant in my eye. This back in late 2010 for the treatment and mid 2011 for the corneal transplant. Dr. Perry gave the OK a couple of months back for me to drive. I now have my learners permit and I started learning to drive. Probably will go for my license spring of next year.

If you don't want to read my wall of text I had medical issues from the age of 11 to early this year that caused me not to be able to drive. I now have my learners permit and should have my license by spring next year

I started out of the blue having seizures when I was 11 and that lasted until I was 16. Had to be seizure free for 10 years before I could be cleared to at least get my learners permit. My eyesight started declining back in late 2009 and by early 2010 I got worried, saw an optometrist who believed I may have Keratoconus a degenerative eye disease that causes progressive thinning and curvature of the cornea to the point if not treated can lead to near blindness. Advised I see an Ophthalmologist to which I ended up seeing Dr. Perry one of the foremost Ophthalmologists in the world on Keratoconus. He was able to confirm I had it. Went to Canada to have an experimental treatment done with collagen and UV light which wasn't FDA approved yet in the US. Had to pay $2,000 out of pocket. The procedure stopped the progression of keratoconus in my left eye but my right was too far gone so I had to have a corneal transplant in my eye. This back in late 2010 for the treatment and mid 2011 for the corneal transplant. Dr. Perry gave the OK a couple of months back for me to drive. I now have my learners permit and I started learning to drive. Probably will go for my license spring of next year.

If you don't want to read my wall of text I had medical issues from the age of 11 to early this year that caused me not to be able to drive. I now have my learners permit and should have my license by spring next year
Damn i feel happy and sad for you at the same time. Sad to hear that you had to go through all of that but happy to see that you got through it.

I am sure you will enjoy driving once you get more practice and a full license.

stay safe out there sherbro's

Depends on compensating factors, I'd reckon.

For example, if you live in Amsterdam you can get by without a car and the whole country has great public transport too.

I am quite lucky for the UK to have good public transport locally living in a relatively small town plus shopping within 5 mins walk so I'v not driven for 15 years, would be prepared to start again if work called for it though.

As far as women go I find the reverse, two people as car owners/drivers causes more fuss.

Damn i feel happy and sad for you at the same time. Sad to hear that you had to go through all of that but happy to see that you got through it.

I am sure you will enjoy driving once you get more practice and a full license.

stay safe out there sherbro's
Today was the first time I drove for a long while. I usually only go for like 30 to 45 minutes but I drove for like nearly 3 hours and it was great. If this keeps up I might end up just going for my license much sooner.

I learned to drive when I was 10 and have loved it ever since.
I have multiple vehicles, two of which are race cars that I drive on tracks.
Most..fun..ever..
no stop signs, no cops, no bitches putting on makeup while driving their minivans, etc.

I hate your avatar.

Then it's stayin in!!
RFV9.gif

Seems to be the big hipster thing of the last 5-10 years. Guess it makes affording that $1,900/month basement-apartment downtown easier.
Most people I know that live in the city of Chicago and new York City don't own cars.

I wish I didn't have to drive to work everyday but still drive on the weekends.

Aren't you in the Los Angeles area? I'm in San Diego and when I had to take public transportation you see some straight characters. Have to keep your head on a swivel. Couldn't even imagine L.A. especially if your commute has to go by skidrow.
yes brother im in LA county, I used to live in Downtown LA in a luxury loft back in 2015, My job was only 20 minutes away on foot but I chose to still drive my car to work since we had a parking lot and I ddint have to pay 50 bucks lol the reason is because of the transients, I worked late so I didn't want to walk in the empty Downtown LA streets back to my loft and have some of these violent transients mug me out of nowhere,

Ive seen too many violent bums and many of them will spit at you. If you ride public transit you better be packing a knife or spray and never relax. I still remember having to ride the bus for an entire week in LA I used to ride the bus all the time in Oakland it was horrible seen so many crazy fools and fights.

These stragglers from Skid Row are all over DTLA and they are violent or weird and disease riddled. Spitting all over you when they ask for change.

My Coworker who lived in the Chinatown area would ride his bike from work and to his apartments he told me he almost got mugged a few times but he carries pepper spray, he said he doesnt like to drive in DTLA because its difficult and hard to drive with rude drivers so he just rides his bike.

driving is definitely a dangerous shit show..
Especially with all of those crazy retarded drivers in LA. People in Chicago drove offensively in Chicago, but they were good drivers. In LA, they're terrible drivers and act like no one else is on the road.

Well this watch thread feature sure is shite. Like 5 posts and no notifications!!!

<JagsKiddingMe>

Aren't you in the Los Angeles area? I'm in San Diego and when I had to take public transportation you see some straight characters. Have to keep your head on a swivel. Couldn't even imagine L.A. especially if your commute has to go by skidrow.
the train in SD is way nicer than our blue line metro it is just the worst redline also has a lot of stabbings. I used to take the train to qualcolmm stadium from national city. phoenix has the shittiest train service though it is laughable how short it is and also has its share of crazy folk it is like phx just gave up funding and build the train system.

the train in SD is way nicer than our blue line metro it is just the worst redline also has a lot of stabbings. I used to take the train to qualcolmm stadium from national city. phoenix has the shittiest train service though it is laughable how short it is and also has its share of crazy folk it is like phx just gave up funding and build the train system.
That's what I was figuring. National City isn't too bad tbh though. The areas where I saw more sketchy characters was over by Lemon Grove and Lincoln area. Saw a few stabbings and a pistol whipping. The guy that got pistol whipped had to be related to George Foreman. Guy had his hands up like he was dealing with police and other guy cracked him 3 to 4 good ones and dude didn't react much at all. I thought the guy pistol whipping was about to blast because he couldn't faze him.

I know LA is way crazier though.

yes brother im in LA county, I used to live in Downtown LA in a luxury loft back in 2015, My job was only 20 minutes away on foot but I chose to still drive my car to work since we had a parking lot and I ddint have to pay 50 bucks lol the reason is because of the transients, I worked late so I didn't want to walk in the empty Downtown LA streets back to my loft and have some of these violent transients mug me out of nowhere,

Ive seen too many violent bums and many of them will spit at you. If you ride public transit you better be packing a knife or spray and never relax. I still remember having to ride the bus for an entire week in LA I used to ride the bus all the time in Oakland it was horrible seen so many crazy fools and fights.

These stragglers from Skid Row are all over DTLA and they are violent or weird and disease riddled. Spitting all over you when they ask for change.

My Coworker who lived in the Chinatown area would ride his bike from work and to his apartments he told me he almost got mugged a few times but he carries pepper spray, he said he doesnt like to drive in DTLA because its difficult and hard to drive with rude drivers so he just rides his bike.
I have a good friend who's an OG from Inglewood that would tell me crazy ass stories about the homeless that would kick it by The Forum that would even get bold with him and his boys and this was early to mid 90's. The homeless now are probably way more reckless. I'm originally from NorCal so I know about Oakland. That place is grimy as all hell. Never did public transo there or LA though. Uber there must be like life insurance haha.

I have a good friend who's an OG from Inglewood that would tell me crazy ass stories about the homeless that would kick it by The Forum that would even get bold with him and his boys and this was early to mid 90's. The homeless now are probably way more reckless. I'm originally from NorCal so I know about Oakland. That place is grimy as all hell. Never did public transo there or LA though. Uber there must be like life insurance haha.
Bro, the homeless now are way more violent than back in the 90s. I saw a homeless crack head a older black woman with no teeth spit a green brown loogey on some white hipster college chick in front of Starbucks during my lunch break, the white girl was ignoring her with her head phones and the crack head was saying hey you got change, then she said HEY BITCH I knwo you heard me and the hipster girl was pretending to not hear her at the light and she hocked one in her face and the white girl cried and they had t call the cops and several people were helping the girl it was gross man.

They even had some homeless bum shove a guy on the street in front of a bus.

This why I never stand on the ledge when waiting for the light I always stand back

This homeless throw hot diarrhea on some woman in Hollywood

There was no car in my house growing up, public transportation covered my needs and felt like I had no need to get a car , got my car at 25, I can no longer go back to not having a car even if there are situations were public transportation is a better option

That's what I was figuring. National City isn't too bad tbh though. The areas where I saw more sketchy characters was over by Lemon Grove and Lincoln area. Saw a few stabbings and a pistol whipping. The guy that got pistol whipped had to be related to George Foreman. Guy had his hands up like he was dealing with police and other guy cracked him 3 to 4 good ones and dude didn't react much at all. I thought the guy pistol whipping was about to blast because he couldn't faze him.

I know LA is way crazier though.

I remember being in Horton Plaza back (when it was still full of stores) it leaving the place at 5:30 pm , this was during winter when its goes dark early on and damm the whole area transformed pretty fast, that trolley could not come fast enough. It was like one of those films that when it goes dark the town changes lol.

Not surprised Horton became a Ghost mall, people say its because online shopping and stuff but Im sure the homeless played a big part in there.

Last edited:
Back