Pereira's striking is just too limited.

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
You make some good points but I think you are way off the mark at the same time. I think Poatan isn't in his prime anymore. I think his chin is deteriorating slowly and his reflexes and speed are doing the same. I think that's what I'm really seeing. At the same time I am still seeing a good chunk of what used to be an all-time great kickboxer. This is a cruel game and once you start slipping a little bit, you get tagged by shots you wouldn't normally get tagged with and your chin can't take what it used to take. That's what it feels like to me.

Edit: The stiffness is a good call. I have been noticing it more and more each time he fights. It's a sign he's out of his prime and he's taken a lot of shots.

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
Dude, I dont wanna be rude or anything, but what looks too limited is your MMA knowledge.
Alex is the most dangerous stand up guy in the entire UFC roster. Shame he didnt join it sooner. We missed his prime years, yet he is still holding on.

Pereira's striking is only really limited in clinch. Which I think Jiri exposed last night. We all knew about takedown defense, but it seems enough against the top guys at LHW so far. The only wrestler left is Ankalaev for him.

Idk why you and the commenters are discounting Alex’s body shots in that fight. I just watched it yesterday and his body shots lead up to Jan’s fatigue

Weak attempt, If you really think that way you should probably brush your teeth in the dark. Don’t want you to have to see your own pathetic reflection in the mirror

I think it is a troll job. Alex is versatile & skilled while most mma fighters think a kick is a mispronounced slang for male genitalia.

<LikeReally5>
What's the point of having a granite chin (which he surely doesn't have anyway) if the heart is that of a chicken?
That guy's a goner. Should stick to commentary, even if he also sucks at it.

You make some good points but I think you are way off the mark at the same time. I think Poatan isn't in his prime anymore. I think his chin is deteriorating slowly and his reflexes and speed are doing the same. I think that's what I'm really seeing. At the same time I am still seeing a good chunk of what used to be an all-time great kickboxer. This is a cruel game and once you start slipping a little bit, you get tagged by shots you wouldn't normally get tagged with and your chin can't take what it used to take. That's what it feels like to me.

Edit: The stiffness is a good call. I have been noticing it more and more each time he fights. It's a sign he's out of his prime and he's taken a lot of shots.

Its possible I spose, I suspect he's probably not got THAT much longer left until it does anyway but I would say as well I think the shift to MMA probably is part of why he doesnt look as slick as in kickboxing.

The reality is he's fast tracked into MMA relatively late in his career, even moreso because he's been taking on so many big fights that probably do not leave as much room to develop technique and I think he's had to play quite fast and loose with how he's developed his game as a result.

jcX40_kW2Ql5EbQ5.jpg

-2 time kickboxing world champion who crosses over and becomes UFC champion in two weight classes with his striking

- random sherdogger "His striking is limited"

If meat and potatoes fills you up, what's the point of attempting to make a Croquembouche?
a-classic-croquembouche-recipe-1375168-hero-01-462e46ef235d4004bf1e8894ff42426f.jpg

The lack of knowledge is Absolutely frightening and sad, Alex and his style is exceptional he will not make cinematic attacks but in the context of real life it is almost perfect.

Alex Footwork, Defense, Attack and kick variations all have a meaning Alex was called the Battle Genius by other Kickboxers.

Glory is the old K1 and is where the best strikers on the planet are fighting each other in striking where the Elite of Strikers fight, Alex was the Champion.

Alex technique, Timing, ability to make traps in the fight, Accuracy, Strength, Defense are all high level.

he is a master at this game and every move he makes has a calculated risk, Only another Pro Kickboxer has a chance against Alex standing these MMA guys are not prepared to fight standing against a world class Kickboxer.

You know The number of weapons is not important, sometimes you just need a Sniper to shoot down the enemy, Alex style enhances his Sniper that are his Left Hook.

He has improved in the grappling defense, but overall he is extremely stiff and chinny at this point. Do not see him holding onto the belt long, but LHW is also in shambles.

Smith that went life or death with a 160 dude trying to rob his house? He's supposed to beat Alex? Fkin Lol. Get a grip man
<{outtahere}>

Pereira's striking is only really limited in clinch. Which I think Jiri exposed last night.

LOL what? There was hardly any striking in the clinch and Pereira outlanded Jiri 4 to 2..

Jiri had success with the overhand, as he stepped in, but landed next to nothing on the inside.

Back