Pereira's striking is just too limited.

Jesus Christ. A multiple time, multiple weight Glory kickboxing champ and a multiple weight UFC champ as a basically pure striker is an extremely limited striker according to this fucking guy.

laugh-smile.gif
The nerve of you to question the vast knowledge of this Sherdog arm chair expert.

this is a troll, right? Ank's striking is dogshit and he couldn't and wouldn't check a single leg kick from Jan. Imagine Pereira's. And his fight IQ is so low he doesn't wrestle until his legs were ruined.
Anthony smith? Walker? What world are we living in where either of these guys ever gets to a TS again? Even prime Smith was questionable.

He looks a little stiff at times and eats some shots but he’s still miles ahead of most and there’s no way johnny walker is better

Yes! Pereira's style is so basic that the worlds best strikers should kill him with simple angles and combinations but... the worlds best strikers can't?

Well the reason it doesn't happen is because the footwork Pereira uses while he's floating in and out of range is the main basis of his defence which is heavily based on subtle angles and while you're in his range he has a jab, left hook, leg kick, switch kick and overhand right that have almost no tell so it's almost impossible to guess what he will throw. Pereira just fought the most ferocious technical brawler and didn't get overwhelmed... because whenever Jiri was inside his preferred range Pereira used heavy feints, clinched or exited the range on an angle.... hell he even counter KO'd Jiri.

But with all of this summed up he should be very easy to walk down and KO

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
Man, you are spot on.
He's extremely limited.
He's not likely to succeed at kickboxing or MMA.

Yes! Pereira's style is so basic that the worlds best strikers should kill him with simple angles and combinations but... the worlds best strikers can't?

Well the reason it doesn't happen is because the footwork Pereira uses while he's floating in and out of range is the main basis of his defence which is heavily based on subtle angles and while you're in his range he has a jab, left hook, leg kick, switch kick and overhand right that have almost no tell so it's almost impossible to guess what he will throw. Pereira just fought the most ferocious technical brawler and didn't get overwhelmed... because whenever Jiri was inside his preferred range Pereira used heavy feints, clinched or exited the range on an angle.... hell he even counter KO'd Jiri.

But with all of this summed up he should be very easy to walk down and KO
He threw a head kick at Jiri when he switched to southpaw that partially landed but scared Jiri off from trying any southpaw attacks. And Jiri is a big switch hitter too.

If it makes sense at all Pereira sort of uses his offense as his defense

I don’t agree. It’s not limited, it’s MMA soo he can’t throw variety of strikes to make himself vulnerable for take downs.
He just picks his shot and doesn’t throw for throwing sake plus he doesn’t have to put power in his shot to knock you out.

Whatever he is doing is working. If they fed him some cans I’m sure he would show a lot more.

The thing is he fights this way so there is less chance to make mistakes.

What he does is very effective and measured he is creating traps and setting up shots.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
{<jordan}
"Prime" Anthony Smith's best KO wins were over lifeless husks of Shogun and Rashad Evans.

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

This might get worst post of the night award

MW and LHW are weak compared to the past

That being said Walker ain't doing shit to him.

Ankalev beats him... maybe Smith if he survives long enough to get a td

Nice to meet you MR. Anthony Smith

i feel like the minimal style is actually superior to being flashy

im sure poatan can do a lot of fancy moves but the philosophy behind mastery of a craft is actually to simplify a complicated skill.
Yep. Only MMA striking you'll see overly exaggerated movements & footwork/upperbody movement. While world class strikers it's very basic

Anthony Smith, despite all his losses, has always had one of the most crisp boxing and a granite chin to go with it. He is an elite boxer for the division. He is significantly quicker than Pereira and what sets him apart is that he doesn't put himself in danger by being the aggressor.

As for Johnny Walker. He may very well get knocked out by Pereira. But I think Walker finds that chin first and he is one of the hardest hitters in the division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back