Pet costs

I've donated dried food and treats they don't like back to the shelter we got them from and took some chocolates and biscuits in when we took them in for their last jabs last week to say thanks for them looking after them so nicely. I agree with the initial outlay being $150 per kitten so hopefully people think about what their care costs before just jumping into it willy nilly. Jabs before last one of the carers was telling us about finding 6 puppies in a Home Depot dumpster...I understand why they had to neuter them before we took them home.
Scumbags, I'd like to spay or neuter whatever asshole did that :-(

Glad to get pets from the local shelter but they had no puppies when I was looking. My last two pups came from thete though.

I hope the kittens work out for you and settle into the new place.

I spend less than I projected before I got my lil guy. (Gufe’)

Royal Kanin Kibble, his supplements/heart worm meds & biweekly grooming prolly
$80 usd month maybe.
Vet twice a year so far. That’s like $100, checkups & vaccinations.
It's less of an expense or burden than I had anticipated. I spend tops less than $1k a year.

He’s only 2 & 1/2, but should be consistent as long as healthy.
I hope it remains that way, as I have seen what other unfortunate shiba owners on forums have paid for eye or knee surgery, or accidents, in the several thousands.

Im not counting his care & big portion of his diet. I have a helper/maid who walks him twice a day & bathes him every 5 days. I take him out to mall/market & gym 3 to 4 days a week. It’s not money spent, but effort & eager care. He’s fun & good company when we go out.

His diet is pretty easy, just add water/boil his kibble & make it to an oatmeal, add a big portion of what meat/fish I'm eating that day. He eats, steak, salmon, chicken, pork regularly.
He eats really well. Is a good boy, & got a good doggo life.

Reckon, He'd like a couple of girlfriends, (or harem like his show dog dad);I'm sure, but I'm not going to get another dog.

Just have to continue to make do humping female unsuspecting legs at the mall/market & attempted mounts of bitches at malls for now.

Hoisting some academic swag here.;)

giphy.gif

Early puppydom. 14/15 weeks I think.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think if the cat is hungry enough they'll eat anything.

I have three with different diets though so I can't talk!

I read a large dog costs like £30,000 in 2000s money. So it's Rover or you could have got a new rover!

Pet insurance is a must. Really helps get the best care in the later stages.

Scumbags, I'd like to spay or neuter whatever asshole did that :-(

Glad to get pets from the local shelter but they had no puppies when I was looking. My last two pups came from thete though.

I hope the kittens work out for you and settle into the new place.
They had their feet firmly under the table as soon as we got them out of the carrier,. I don't look down my nose at anyone who doesn't get rescues, I've just always ended up with stray kittens and there's always so many people mentioning stray cats here I felt it was necessary to help out rather than going to a breeder. A friend in Virginia got a Pitbul from a rescue and she was loving dog but had behaviour problems jumping up at people which if she did it to a kid could have ended up being put down. So I understand people not getting rescues all the time because you don't know how their past affects how they will be.

They're worth every cent but I've worked out that our kittens are costing roughly $16 a day with food, cat milk and Pretty Litter. We won't skimp on anything for them and aren't in a financial struggle where it's a problem but I understand now why Ridgecrest's animal shelters are so full being it isn't a particularly affluent area. I imagine puppy food is more costly.

I had a rabbit about 28 years ago but these are the first pets since then...is it the same for everyone or do I just have fussy foodie kittens?
any loving animal owner doesn't even think of the cost. Talk about being petty.

Just spent $600 at the vets yesterday. In the past 5 years probably spent thousands and thousands there, it’s fucking insane. Not having great luck.

But all other costs aren’t too bad right now. Weekly greens for my bunny, high protein kibble for my cat. She’s not on the best food but not the worst either. Then there’s bun pellets and hay and treats and toys.
Is it okay now? I've bought dozens of toys but one of their favourites is an empty Temu bag and tiny Amazon box.

ive got 6 dogs, one of them was spayed and cost me £400, spent £100 on food as well today for 4 of them

not really calculated how much they all cost me, i dont really care TBH, they are all very well looked after and i pay for a private park for 10 sessions a month as well as daily walks

if you are arsed about how much a pet may cost you, then dont get one, they arent a bill...they cost however much they cost to look after and if you dont have the cash, dont fucking get one

They're worth every cent but I've worked out that our kittens are costing roughly $16 a day with food, cat milk and Pretty Litter. We won't skimp on anything for them and aren't in a financial struggle where it's a problem but I understand now why Ridgecrest's animal shelters are so full being it isn't a particularly affluent area. I imagine puppy food is more costly.

I had a rabbit about 28 years ago but these are the first pets since then...is it the same for everyone or do I just have fussy foodie kittens?
Stop buying "Pretty Litter" and buy "Kitty Litter" wayyyyyy cheaper!

• Haha
Reactions: lsa
cant post any pics because sherdog is fucking shite
1706121864492.png

My dog swallowed corn on the cob whole. 2k later it was out. No regrets

@fingercuffs did you factor in the price of dealing with ringworm? Doctor visits, medicine, not to mention all the extra laundry.

How's that going, btw? You cured yet?

That's absurd. You should feel bad. Give your god damned cat fucking cat food and send the remaining 15 bucks and eighty three cents a day to a charity of some sort. Yaysus.

That's honestly a hundred times more money than most people spend on their cats, and I can't say I've ever once met a cat who was suffering because of fucking kibble. Growing up, my cats ate brown triangles out of a hand me down toddler plate, day in day out every day of their lives with the occasional treat of some soft food once in a blue moon, and they were for the mostl part sweet cats. Did all the normal cat things, were healthy and fit and lived to late teenaged years.

You've been scammed by big cat food.

Stop buying "Pretty Litter" and buy "Kitty Litter" wayyyyyy cheaper!
Does it monitor their urine? I buy Pretty Litter because it changes colour depending on if their urine is healthy. They have a lot of wet food and I bought a cat fountain which they use every now and again but I do worry their liquid intake isn't enough. With Pretty Litter it tells you if they're dehydrated or have kidney/liver problems. It hasn't changed to unhealthy yet thankfully.

Last edited:
That's absurd. You should feel bad. Give your god damned cat fucking cat food and send the remaining 15 bucks and eighty three cents a day to a charity of some sort. Yaysus.

That's honestly a hundred times more money than most people spend on their cats, and I can't say I've ever once met a cat who was suffering because of fucking kibble. Growing up, my cats ate brown triangles out of a hand me down toddler plate, day in day out every day of their lives with the occasional treat of some soft food once in a blue moon, and they were for the mostl part sweet cats. Did all the normal cat things, were healthy and fit and lived to late teenaged years.

You've been scammed by big cat food.
Why should I feel bad? They had a rough start in life and were being fed what looked like gruel in the shelter. I'd rather not discuss which charities I donate to or I'll end up in a War Room argument. We've tried various kitten foods which they haven't been fond of hence donating. They love Sheba pate and tendercuts and when they wake us up in the morning an Albertsons own brand cat food.

They're part of the family, why shouldn't they have a good healthy diet? It isn't breaking the bank.

Back