Pho or Ramen

nothing hit the spot like Pho after a hangover. Adding extra herbs, hoisin sauce & load of hot sauce.

Ramen. Pho has like a gamey flavor to me and is too much work with all the stuff you need to add in yourself. Plus it seems way more salty.

PHO broth is the star and can't be replicated easily
Ramen anything goes

Ramen when I make it, but I do like Pho quite a bit too. Pho is the only thing I'll have with Siracha.

PHO broth is the star and can't be replicated easily
Ramen anything goes

It is an incredible pain in the ass to make. If you go to a pho place and they didn't bring the pho out immediately, something isn't right. A pho place should have a big pot of fresh broth they made one or two days before. I made it once it I think it had to sit on the stove for like 12 hours.

Pho but most of my experience with ramen has been instant noodles in a bag off the shelf from the grocery store. I’ve only eaten good restaurant quality ramen like 2 or 3 times compared to getting good pho dozens of times.

a-bowl-of-pho.webp

Pho

soy-sauce-based-ramen-the-most-common-type-of-ramen.webp

Ramen

Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup dish and ramen is a Japanese noodle soup dish. These dishes are different in many ways.
Pho was created in northern Vietnam when the Chinese immigrants brought in rice noodles and the French colonists brought beef.
Ramen was invented after Chinese immigrants brought lamian (Chinese wheat noodles) to Japan. Over the years it changed to be the iconic Japanese food it is today.
Both pho and ramen have experienced a boom in the West and are growing in popularity.
The main differences between pho and ramen are in the ingredients. Pho comes with either chicken or beef broth and your choice of beef cut. Ramen comes with three regional broths and many different options for toppings.
Pho is made with rice noodles and ramen is made with wheat noodles.
Pho is a very light and fresh dish whereas ramen is more filling and hearty.
Both pho and ramen can be easily found in their respective countries, as they are popular amongst locals, and both are relatively cheap.
When ordering pho, you can choose which cuts of meat you want, as well as which herbs and spices to add.
When ordering ramen, you can choose from a variety of different broths; then you can choose the firmness of the noodle, the thickness of the broth, and the amount of oil.

I would really like to have both ha ha, I've made both several times at home and at restaurants. Gun to my head I'm picking Pho though, something invigorating after a big bowl with plenty of chilli

I would really like to have both ha ha, I've made both several times at home and at restaurants. Gun to my head I'm picking Pho though, something invigorating after a big bowl with plenty of chilli

If you made good pho broth at home, hats off to you. I did it and the punch line for me was "why am I doing this long drawn out process when I cane pay $9 for a big bowl of pho with fresh tasting broth?" It is like one of those things that doesn't make sense to make for yourself.

There is an Italian pastry like this. I wish I remember what it is called but it is almost a right of passage to have a grandmother teach you how to make it at home. It is a lot of work for what it is and after everyone has done it, they never do it again and just buy it from this company that has a big machine that cranks them out like clockwork.

Ramen.

Top notch ramen is worlds above pho, which I also like. More complex flavors, imo

Both are amazing, Pho is way better for the price. Raman more versitile.

If you made good pho broth at home, hats off to you. I did it and the punch line for me was "why am I doing this long drawn out process when I cane pay $9 for a big bowl of pho with fresh tasting broth?" It is like one of those things that doesn't make sense to make for yourself.

There is an Italian pastry like this. I wish I remember what it is called but it is almost a right of passage to have a grandmother teach you how to make it at home. It is a lot of work for what it is and after everyone has done it, they never do it again and just buy it from this company that has a big machine that cranks them out like clockwork.

Yeah it's a big process that's for sure. I ended up getting quite good at it, haven't done in it a while.

I live in a very white area and there's no really good Pho around, you have to go a while away to the Asian areas where you can get it. I have a favourite restaurant about 45 mins away where I go when I'm in the area, been going there 10 years now!

Back