Please Rate My Bag Work

Faithless

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, Im a beginner, so you're going to laugh no matter what ;)

Did six months at a muay thai gym last fall, havent done anything since I bought a bag a few weeks back, now Im at it maybe half an hour, 5 days a week. Trying to polish strikes before I go back to the gym.

Any tips please? Personal reflections from watching this:

* I lean forward too much, lean back too little.

* Cant seem to get the left jab shoulder to stay in place, my right one stays in front of my chin without me even thinking about it

* Got a strange twist to my jab, not sure if its natural for the wrist to buckle like that (hitting medium hard), whether the wrist nees to grow stronger or whether Im just doing it wrong...

Ill be really grateful for any tips. Thanks!

YouTube - Video 0047.3gp

I would recommend you to buy a better bag. A banana bag would be perfect for you.

It looks to me like both your jab and your cross are coming from the arms only.

Make sure to use your hips and legs to generate power and get a more natural feeling punch. Even the jab can have a little hip put into it, and then the hips are already loaded to fire the next strike from the opposite side.

If you don't use your hips on the cross, you are cheating yourself out some reach and power.

most glaring thing i saw was no combinations at all...that and you dont sit on your punches...especially your right...you kind of just push it forward and leave it out there to boot

YouTube - Video 0047.3gp

The fact that your a beginner is not laughable........ the shorts on the other hand....:icon_lol:...... Man, i couldn't pay attention, i just kept laughing thinking..... is this guy really making a video is his whitey tidy's? sorry.....

But in all honesty, your off to a good start. You throw your punches from up high and bring them back to cover well. What i would suggest is NOT to start working combinations, matter of fact, just throwing that 1,2 is exactly what you should be focusing on. Get the 1,2 with good solid technique then build the combos. My suggestion would be to get your hip firing out first, your sort of pushing your punches by falling forward, slows them down quite a bit. Relax your shoulders and stop balling up your fists in the gloves before you punch. Instead, work on keeping the arms and shoulders completely relaxed, then on the 2, fire the point of your right hip forward while pivoting, straight at the target, the hip should get out in front of that rear elbow before the hand begins projecting forward. By doing this you will begin to snap your shot into the bag by using the core to throw the punch, vs. throwing the punch with your arm then using the core to push it through (what your doing now, the pivot is late in the motion on that 2, start it earlier). Same on the jab, step and torque the lead hip and shoulder out first, the fist will follow naturally...... By doing this you expend much less effort, throw harder shots and notice a significant increase in how quick your hands return to guard.

Try to expend more effort pulling the punch back, then getting it out there. In short, the second that glove touches the bag, pull it back by rotating the hips and shoulders back to your set stance..... try to focus the majority of your effort on this motion, not the punch getting through the bag. It will naturally bring your feet in a better position. You want to hear "crack" when you hit that bag with 1,2 high (different story for body shot), not "thud", witch indicates your pushing the punch. Think of this analogy: What creates that nasty welt, bruise or cut when someone gets snapped with a wet towel?...... it is not the towel moving forward that does the damage, it is that quick retraction that causes the end of it snap into some poor bastards leg in the locker room and make him scream like a little girl....? Same idea on a punch, that quick retraction causes the punch to snap or whip into the target..... in boxing guys who do this well are known for causing their opponents some nasty cuts!

Last edited:
Great replies, thanks a lot! yeah sorry about the dirty underwear lol, I shot this immediately before putting it up here and was still sitting eating brekkie in my filthy shorts. Gonna certainly look into tips given to me here, in particular hips. Yeah, Im not doing 1-2 for 2 main reasons: 1. I want both jab and cross to actually be reasonably good before I even start trying to get good at 1-2, or any other combinations. What I saw in the beginners class down at the gym, with everyone doing combos even though they hadn't really got good at any of the strikes yet made me decide to get proper basics first, so I purposely stepped away from all combos for the time being. I know from singing for years that so many singers out there can't actually hold a single straight note - thats one of the reasons everyone wails these days, because after a second or two they know the note is going to start wobbling (just a parallel that seems relevant to me) and 2, because frankly, with a 20kg bag, Im not quick enough for a 1-2 the way that bag flies away lol.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
you look like you're trying to hit the bag while being tazed or something. loosen up dude

Ok, will stop using the tazer when working out. I thought it might make me faster, but in hindsight, probably a bad idea. Plus it hurts like a bitch.

This just reinforces the fact that you should be training in a gym, not a basement. We can't even see foot placement, there are also tons of other angles where a trainer can look and see mistakes. Shooting a video of yourself and asking for critique is fundamentally flawed.

Dunno about that, Ive already learned a couple of things. Someone pointed out my weak hip movements for example and I hadnt noticed that beforehand. I thought I was using them more than I am. I could have waited until saturday for an instructor to maybe point that out (hes got 10 other people to watch too), then try to practice it next tuesday, along with some new combos before Ive even had time to sort the hips out, or I can find out right now, which I did, and immediately go and try that out. My foot placement should be reasonably correct, though obviously not very fast or graceful.

Dunno about that, Ive already learned a couple of things. Someone pointed out my weak hip movements for example and I hadnt noticed that beforehand. I thought I was using them more than I am. I could have waited until saturday for an instructor to maybe point that out (hes got 10 other people to watch too), then try to practice it next tuesday, along with some new combos before Ive even had time to sort the hips out, or I can find out right now, which I did, and immediately go and try that out. My foot placement should be reasonably correct, though obviously not very fast or graceful.

If you are able to learn something from this, then you REALLY need to go to the gym

Did six months at a muay thai gym last fall, havent done anything since I bought a bag a few weeks back, now Im at it maybe half an hour, 5 days a week. Trying to polish strikes before I go back to the gym.

Any tips please? Personal reflections from watching this:

* I lean forward too much, lean back too little.

* Cant seem to get the left jab shoulder to stay in place, my right one stays in front of my chin without me even thinking about it

* Got a strange twist to my jab, not sure if its natural for the wrist to buckle like that (hitting medium hard), whether the wrist nees to grow stronger or whether Im just doing it wrong...

Ill be really grateful for any tips. Thanks!

YouTube - Video 0047.3gp

Film your back foot. based on what your leg is doing and the amount of forward rock your getting, I am going to say that your rear foot is leaving the ground when you punch. Not many faster ways to loose power than that.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha .....hahahaahahahahahahaha... I'm sorry but this shit is hilarious. Join a gym dude and lose the shorts.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa hes not wearing the all the cool gear! He hasnt got flames all over his pants! Someone call the Waaaaaaaaaaambulance!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa hes not wearing the all the cool gear! He hasnt got flames all over his pants! Someone call the Waaaaaaaaaaambulance!

It comes with the territory dude, by making this public, you're opening yourself up for criticism and possibly ridicule.

hey its fine, Im expecting it. It would be fun if people were a little more interested in sharing a mutual hobby rather than giggling about the westernized gimmick clothes ;) Most people have though, which is great. Not all of us need to pretend to be pro fighters anonymously on the internet ;)

Back