Poll: Should Lewis Be Blamed For Those Shots, or Should Herb? Or Should No One?

Lewis's Fault, Dean's Fault, or no one is at fault?

• Total voters
This isn't a poll to say whether or not the punches were necessary, there's already one for that. This is for those who are looking for someone to blame.

I'm of the opinion it is what it is. That's what Lewis is there to do. Dean could've been closer, but he got there as fast as he could. Trying to blame Dean after the fact seemed like typical Black Beast behavior, trying to play it off in his usual not so serious tone. I've also heard he said that because Blaydes's team gave him shit for it immediately after, but I haven't seen that.

I'm not passing judgement of Lewis for that, and frankly I think we've seen worse cheap shots. Askren vs Masvidal and Henderson vs Bisping come to mind.

Even Blachowicz has done it to Anderson, who pretty much everyone agrees is an all around great guy. Anderson was definitely fucking out, but Blachowicz wasn't sure in that moment. I'm gonna give Lewis the benefit of the doubt.
No one's fault. It's the hurt business

Per rules? No one
Morally? Ehh, Lewis I guess.

I think the truth lies somewhere around "I obeyed the rules while abusing them in a moral way".

I feel like this situation will provoke subjective responses from all of us, depending on how we look at "morality" and/or how important "morality" is to us.

While we, ofc, disregard adrenaline talks as it can impact a person in many ways. Having said that, I also think it comes to what kind of a person you are in general, but that can be a whole other topic.

No one. I give Herb shit often, but he’s not clairvoyant and these are two big ass dudes. Imo he did what he could. Derrick followed up in a way I’ve seen tons of times, not everyone can turn off the switch immediately, I don’t think there was anything too unusual about it.

As for the post fight antics, we’re talking about Black Beast... he has an idgaf joker attitude about almost everything he does. I don’t have a problem with it either because I don’t see it as malicious, and I doubt a shadow realm’d Curtis cared anyway. He also might’ve been mad at being made such a big underdog by the media and bookies. In the post fight presser he was more serious and said he was glad Curtis got up and was OK.

People are forgetting Francis basically did the exact same thing, only the ref jumped in a little quicker. I don’t remember there being a lot of controversy about that one.

20f2x4.gif
You have to keep in mind that was a good ref though instead of Herb Dean

No, it's part of the sport. People need to stop being so soft. They signed up to get permanently damaged and we signed up to watch it.

<WhatItIs>

Lewis. Blaydes was clearly out. Herb tried to stop the unnecesary punches as soon as he could.

Lewis hung himself when he complained about Herb Dean.

If you say it was Dean’s fault for not stopping it, then that means you were consciously aware of when he was out.
Not sure that follows. When the fights over and he's had time to calm down from the adrenaline rush and watch a replay, is completely different from being in the fight.

The expectations some of you have to how perfect a stoppage needs to be is pretty insane. Anyone saying herb was out of position, he absolutely wasn't. When there's no one in immediate threat of being badly hurt you can't just stand right next the fighters. They circle the wrong way and they'll just run right into the ref and it disrupts the fight. We even saw this happen like a week or two ago where the fighters started moving heavily on the feet and one of them collided with the ref. The ref needs to keep their distance when the fight is on the feet for that reason. The time it took from them to just be staring at each other in range where there was no danger of either guy needing saving, to Blaydes shooting a td and being out cold was no time at all. And the second he was falling to the floor herb was already on his way in. Literally nobody is at fault of doing anything wrong here, or messing up. It's just real easy to split hairs when you're sitting on a couch and get to watch an instant replay over and over.

Its kill or be killed in there, thats why the referee is in place. They also point that fact out in the pre-fight meeting where they go over the rules.

The referees actually speak out in these pre-fight meetings.

Beast just did his job, hope he gets a bonus.

It’s not Dean’s fault. He busted his ass to get over there. Lewis blaming Dean was some garbage from a guy I actually liked. Lewis is the type of guy who would get a DWI and then blame the cops because “the car is supposed to be driven. It’s the cops’ job to stop me from getting in while I’m drunk”
But really it’s not anyone’s fault. This shit happens and when your adrenaline is going like that it can get ugly. Hope Blaydes is ok

Poll: should the people complaining about this stop watching MMA and stick to sports where people play with balls?

I think Lewis went for the kill, and Herb tried hard. I don't think anyone is "at fault". It is what it is.

Lewis immediately putting blame on Herb was the most unlikable part.

Doing taunts, and suck it signs while the dude is out cold.. Taking extra shots.. Whatever. I loved Rampage's extra shots on Wanderlei personally. I loved James Irvin's gun shots taunt after he won. I can get passed all that stuff.

But Lewis acting as if he was a unwilling participant who was forced into doing something bad because of Herb was a very ugly look.

If Lewis said anything like "well, you better save them fast or I'll kill a man" would have been a way better look imo.

Lewis wanted those shots and took them. Cuz he's a bad dude who will hurt you.

Idiots, how is he supposed to know that blaydes was out. U train instinctually to follow up when u drop an opponent. It only takes a split 2nd when u drop someone and how do u know he’s not going to recover. Just keep punching. Stop sissy-fying mma. I swear you fuckers want to complain and control everything.

I think Lewis went for the kill, and Herb tried hard. I don't think anyone is "at fault". It is what it is.

Lewis immediately putting blame on Herb was the most unlikable part.

Doing taunts, and suck it signs while the dude is out cold.. Taking extra shots.. Whatever. I loved Rampage's extra shots on Wanderlei personally. I loved James Irvin's gun shots taunt after he won. I can get passed all that stuff.

But Lewis acting as if he was a unwilling participant who was forced into doing something bad because of Herb was a very ugly look.

If Lewis said anything like "well, you better save them fast or I'll kill a man" would have been a way better look imo.

Lewis wanted those shots and took them. Cuz he's a bad dude who will hurt you.
Well, curtis was tagging lewis a lot, and kicking the shit out of his legs, its just a little payback. Grow a pair.

It's 100% Lewis' fault. A dumb move and a dirty one.

Dean came in just to stop Lewis' third, fourth and so on shots.

Who can stop a fight:

1) The ref
2) The corners
3) The doctor

Lewis can't decide a guy is done

Last edited:
Well, curtis was tagging lewis a lot, and kicking the shit out of his legs, its just a little payback. Grow a pair.

Oh Lewis got hit in his MMA fight. I didn't put that together.

That changes the context, Lewis probably wasn't expecting that level of disrespect from an opponent in a fight.

Thanks, I feel my balls dropping now.

Nobody. wtf are you guys even crying for?? Its part of the sport. A bunch of Karen's here. Its a brutal and violent sport. These guys know and accept the risks.

Yall literally watch this for KO's and blood baths but a few punches and thats where yall draw the line lol. Lewis did nothing wrong and Herb tried to step in as fast as he could. Hope Blaydes is fine.

Back