Preferred Method to Defeat the "RNC" grip armbar defence

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Came across this video yesterday and thought it was magical. Rener Gracie showing how to defeat the grip at 6:00, as well as showing how to remove the hand if it gets under your leg at 7:45.

I confess my go to method to defeat the RNC grip has been to wrap my opponent's near arm with my "head side" arm, and then simply push the other elbow away with my "hip side" hand. Can't wait to try the above out.

Yep. Most commonly I do a slight variation of this method, but the fundamentals are the same, where you secure the arm, remove the crossface leg, and then just put it back. It’s embarrassing how easy it is to kill even a strong mata leao-style armbar defense with this method. I first learned it from watching Ronda do a version of it a buncha years ago, in her first UFC fight, & I’ve used a variation of it ever since.

I like Rener’s ‘trash removal system’ finish in the video you posted, but I find it’s rare that someone defends the armbar in that position, with their hand outside the leg. If they go the mata leao defense route, they almost always hide the hand under the thigh.

I like the Dave Camarillo fulcrum break for it as well as the crazy eyes shake to break it apart.

Came across this video yesterday and thought it was magical. Rener Gracie showing how to defeat the grip at 6:00, as well as showing how to remove the hand if it gets under your leg at 7:45.

I confess my go to method to defeat the RNC grip has been to wrap my opponent's near arm with my "head side" arm, and then simply push the other elbow away with my "hip side" hand. Can't wait to try the above out.

good shit i love stuff like this over some fancy upside down attack

I like the Dave Camarillo fulcrum break for it as well as the crazy eyes shake to break it apart.
is it on his dvd? i got johns armlock dvd havent seen it yet curious how daves compares in terms of techniques

Pulling at an angle towards the head works well because their arm is a lot weaker diagonally then it is straight

is it on his dvd? i got johns armlock dvd havent seen it yet curious how daves compares in terms of techniques
Most of Camarillo's set is on defeating this defence and the various paths you'll go down around that. He assumes anyone good will do it as it is the strongest option for the bottom guy in almost every case.

i do this pretty much all the time. the head side arm wraps their arm, i place the hand on my hip, then lean towards their legs. takes almost no strength on my end and puts tremendous pressure on their arm. i chill there for like 10 seconds, tiring them out, then use my free hand to slap their elbow away.

it works like a charm, even on people much larger and stronger than me.

Rickson has a good defense where ( if your right arm is being arm barred ) do the v across chest with both arms and grab both collars not super deep but have right arm on top rather than underneath . It works surprisingly simply well . Very difficult to break . I knew a black belt who would ( again if right arm being arm barred ) cross both arms In the v but with Right on bottom , stuff his arm and hand all the way in his gi grabbing his gi up to the armpit area. Ibjjf illegal but frustrating as hell .

Most of Camarillo's set is on defeating this defence and the various paths you'll go down around that. He assumes anyone good will do it as it is the strongest option for the bottom guy in almost every case.
His instructional is definitely awesome. Although I have to say I’ve come to think the Keenan Cornelius/Jeff Glover armbar defense is the hardest defense to break through. And they have a free hand to fight with.

Dave was able to armbar me through this defense (no shit obviously) but it worked better for me than the RNC defense.

i do this pretty much all the time. the head side arm wraps their arm, i place the hand on my hip, then lean towards their legs. takes almost no strength on my end and puts tremendous pressure on their arm. i chill there for like 10 seconds, tiring them out, then use my free hand to slap their elbow away.

it works like a charm, even on people much larger and stronger than me.
This is the Dave Camarillo special. And my go to as well. I’ve noticed if I keep my thumb facing up that often their grip will come apart before I even need to palm strike their locking elbow.

This is the Dave Camarillo special. And my go to as well. I’ve noticed if I keep my thumb facing up that often their grip will come apart before I even need to palm strike their locking elbow.
yeah, i've only recently (well, before the whole covid shenanigans) realized this as well. i think it has to do with your arm turning slightly, so that the pressure is applied on the blade of your arm, which makes it even more painful for them.

and now that you've mentioned it as a camarillo special, i think i might have actually learned it from some camarillo clip. maybe i saw it from rafa or galvao, but it might've been camarillo.

His instructional is definitely awesome. Although I have to say I’ve come to think the Keenan Cornelius/Jeff Glover armbar defense is the hardest defense to break through. And they have a free hand to fight with.

Dave was able to armbar me through this defense (no shit obviously) but it worked better for me than the RNC defense.

That's interesting to hear. I first saw Keenan show that when i was signed up to the old test site he had before the first keenan-online one but it worked a bit inconsistently for me. After the initial leg grab from what i remember people were often stopping me trapping their leg but this was probably 3-4 years ago so i must revisit it once things reopen.

I got to do a seminar with him where he showed the side to N/S to armbar and the basics of his approach on the dvd set back in 2017 but he didn't roll unfortunately as he was just off a transatlantic flight. It would have been pretty cool (though painful) to feel firsthand I'm sure? :)

I've always considered the 'pumphandle' break to be a very easy solution to someone figure-fouring their arms. You just grab their hand directly with your hands, and pull it towards you, creating wristlock pressure. Pops it right out.

You can see what Housey is doing on Rockhold here as an illustration.

That defense definitely does slow me down a bit though, but not by much. I always just switch to a kimura grip and rotate their hand away from their leg to beat that defense. I only ever hook the arm with my head side arm, so it's very easy to use my free hand to grab their wrist and I always try to cross my ankles under the far shoulder, so it's tough for them to fight the legs.

I think the most novel defense I've seen is this one from Galvao.

Last edited:
Foot on the neck (aka douchebag for the 10th planet peeps). Biceps slicer. Kick the elbow off the hand. Switch to triangle.

It's okay. Honestly I have four others that I think are easier than that one.
It looks like it would work though

Back