Crime President Biden declares Easter Sunday a Transgender Day of Visibility

Do you think this decision was deliberate to annoy people during election year?

• Yes

• No

• Probably just a coincidence

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was right, this shit is an all out struggle sesh

Side topic: "Gaslit" is not accurate here (I understand that you get that), and in probably at least 95% of online mentions. It's a form of abuse involving convincing someone you know that their perceptions are not accurate in order to control them. It's not just disagreeing with people for any reason or even outright lying.
This post has received the Captain Pedantic Seal of Approval™

And when he’s confronted with the fact that he was wrong (or lying), he doubles down on the topic. Now it’s gender reassignment for adults……
Yeah, dude's a loser on an individual level, but as a pattern, it's common and more noteworthy. Rightists are really worked up over transgendered people, and the specific content of the discussion is almost irrelevant (which puts people who believe in talking words seriously and making sense in the position of trying to eat Jello with a fork). It's not that people really think Biden tried to counterprogram Easter, that the left collectively is prioritizing trans rights over everyone else and all other issues, that the left collectively insists on rigid agreement about the need for gender reassignment surgery for kids, etc.--it's that they feel angry about trans people and they feel looked down upon for their views, and they have the sense that the left is broadly the ones doing the judging (that part is right--fuck people who bully others for shit like that).

Side topic: "Gaslit" is not accurate here (I understand that you get that), and in probably at least 95% of online mentions. It's a form of abuse involving convincing someone you know that their perceptions are not accurate in order to control them. It's not just disagreeing with people for any reason or even outright lying.
It's like the words "manipulation" and "deceit" stopped existing. I hate language fads.

It's like the words "manipulation" and "deceit" stopped existing. I hate language fads.
I think to some people, it feels more authentic because it's fresher in their minds and so it has more power (like the difference between a dead metaphor and a fresh turn of phrase). But to me it comes off as less authentic because it looks like trend following. There's probably some legitimate tension there, except that when the word is used wrongly a lot, it makes it less usable for the original purpose (like how no educated person can really feel comfortable saying "nonplussed" these days because they don't want to use it "wrongly" but the other meaning is probably more common).

Ya mon, fer sure, roger that, spot on, 10-4 good buddy. Way to keep it 100.

I think to some people, it feels more authentic because it's fresher in their minds and so it has more power (like the difference between a dead metaphor and a fresh turn of phrase). But to me it comes off as less authentic because it looks like trend following. There's probably some legitimate tension there, except that when the word is used wrongly a lot, it makes it less usable for the original purpose (like how no educated person can really feel comfortable saying "nonplussed" these days because they don't want to use it "wrongly" but the other meaning is probably more common).
I don't get the "nonplussed" thing. I understand it to mean a slight flinch of confusion.

Nonplussed is a good one but I would have used the example of begs the question. Aside from my own contributions the to greater good (LOL) uses of the expression the way it was originally intended that I come across are so rare that they're practically non-existent but in its modified form it appears all over the place. That shit gives me cramps, honestly. Nauseatingly, "plays a factor" is gaining currency--for similar reasons presumably.

I don't get the "nonplussed" thing. I understand it to mean a slight flinch of confusion.
Think of it as, in terms of knowledge, you're no further ahead than before you heard whatever it was.

But either you’ve been duped or you’re doing this intentionally. Gender reassignment on children doesn’t happen. You may find some isolated cases of 17 year olds globally, but it’s so rare the fact that you’re even using the word “typical” shows you’re not really educated on the topic.
This thread really shows how this cheap propaganda works. Starts attacking Biden for some total bullshit, and then even after that is debunked you have some true believers clinging to it, and then you have hacks like Mike who want to argue about gender reassignment for kids, which is something that almost never happens and no one supports, and saying that it's like the key issue in politics.
Gender reassignment surgeries on minors do happen. Here's an article that breaks down GAS by age bracket
A total of 48 019 patients who underwent GAS were identified, including 25 099 (52.3%) who were aged 19 to 30 years. The most common procedures were breast and chest procedures, which occurred in 27 187 patients (56.6%), followed by genital reconstruction (16 872 [35.1%]) and other facial and cosmetic procedures (6669 [13.9%]). The absolute number of GAS procedures rose from 4552 in 2016 to a peak of 13 011 in 2019 and then declined slightly to 12 818 in 2020. Overall, 25 099 patients (52.3%) were aged 19 to 30 years, 10 476 (21.8%) were aged 31 to 40, and 3678 (7.7%) were aged 12 to 18 years. When stratified by the type of procedure performed, breast and chest procedures made up a greater percentage of the surgical interventions in younger patients, while genital surgical procedures were greater in older patients.
So it does happen even if its relatively uncommon and a minority of overall GAS. Most of these are top surgeries. To put this in perspective, in the realm of plastic surgery about 3,200 breast augmentation surgeries were done on those 13-19 years old so a roughly comparable amount.

I think more grim though is that in 2021 there were about 3,058 teenagers who died in car accidents and another 922 children aged 12 and under in 2021. So more children die in car accidents than get any kind of gender affirming surgery and yet I am expected to believe that gender affirming surgeries are the real threat to kids?

Think of it as, in terms of knowledge, you're no further ahead than before you heard whatever it was.
So the second usage means that "I was nonplussed by statement X" and "I thought statement X was irrelevant and meaningless" are synonymous?

Gender reassignment surgeries on minors do happen. Here's an article that breaks down GAS by age bracket

So it does happen even if its relatively uncommon and a minority of overall GAS. Most of these are top surgeries. To put this in perspective, in the realm of plastic surgery about 3,200 breast augmentation surgeries were done on those 13-19 years old so a roughly comparable amount.

I think more grim though is that in 2021 there were about 3,058 teenagers who died in car accidents and another 922 children aged 12 and under in 2021. So more children die in car accidents than get any kind of gender affirming surgery and yet I am expected to believe that gender affirming surgeries are the real threat to kids?
Not to mention, a matter that requires a "megathread". Sad. I note in your post, you include the numbers of such occurrences, but you don't mention what proportion they are of the entire community in their age group or their number compared to the overall population. I would be interested in that information for comparison, please.

So the second usage means that "I was nonplussed by statement X" and "I thought statement X was irrelevant and meaningless" are synonymous?
Oh, no, I may have erred and confused you at the same time.

First, the first/second usage I was referring to specifically is of "begs the question", and in my reply to you about nonplussed, I may have been a little too metaphorical in my description.

Accordingly, correction: nonplussed means left in a state where you have no idea how to react to something. I'm have forgotten the common second usage although there is something tickling the back of my mind on the subject.

Edit: ah, Google tells me
"That's probably because a lot of people use this word to mean unfazed or not bothered by something, while others use it to mean unimpressed.Jun 17, 2018"

Last edited:

I think of gender reassignment as bottom surgery. Gender affirmation surgery is broader (at least in terms of how I was referring to it here). @Mike was clearly referring to bottom surgery (“genital mutilation”).

I think of gender reassignment as bottom surgery. Gender affirmation surgery is broader (at least in terms of how I was referring to it here). @Mike was clearly referring to bottom surgery (“genital mutilation”).
no gender reassignment ever takes place.
a guy that gets his penis cut off is still just a guy, but now his penis is cut off and has a wound between his legs that he must constantly dilate forever or the body will just close it, as it's programmed to do through the process of healing.

Not literally zero, but very low, and "top surgeries" aren't really what I think of. I don't really see it as properly a political issue (should be between doctors, psychologists, and the families).

no gender reassignment ever takes place.
a guy that gets his penis cut off is still just a guy, but now his penis is cut off and has a wound between his legs that he must constantly dilate forever or the body will just close it, as it's programmed to do through the process of healing.
Ultimately how they feel about themselves matters a lot more than what you think about them or their surgery.

Question for you Andy. Why are people automatically taking the perspective that reassignment surgery is a valid thing we should be doing. Why are we starting the conversation from the standpoint that this is a medically valid thing to do? Because we don't know what transgenderism is, and we don't know that hormone therapy or surgery helps those with this condition.

Because we as a society recognize that the psychological aspect of human beings often takes precedence over physical characteristics.

For example, I'm sure you will agree that 12yo girls are not ready to procreate and have children, despite the fact that if they've hit puberty, the physical reality is that they are ready to procreate by having matured gonads. So we created age of consent laws because we recognize that the psychological and emotional aspect of a 12yo is not ready to have babies.

This is why I just don't understand the argument that people should succumb to the physical traits they are born with, as in with the anti-trans argument. Unless you disagree with age of consent laws, we don't treat people solely based on their physical traits.

I would agree with you that some aspects of transitioning surgeries/medications are not appropriate for children, however the argument against is usually always laden with hyperbole like mutilation, etc. Doctors and parents don't just willy nilly have their sexual organs removed, or have hormones prescribed. In reality it's a careful process that involves psychologists, a medical doctor, the parents, and the child themself. Only then, after all options are exhausted, does someone submit to surgery, it's not like you show up at the doctor, say "I want to be a girl" and they schedule you for surgery to turn your penis in to a vagina the next day.

For those reasons, I think the decision is best left to people who actually make a career out of studying this kind of stuff.

Well they are mentally ill so what they think about themselves is fucking psychotic too.

Oh hell, give the "mentally ill" shit a rest, won't you?

Do you think people who agree with Age of Consent laws are 'mentally ill'? After all, the physical reality is that 12yo's have matured sex organs and are technically ready to procreate, yet you don't call everyone 'mentally ill' for recognizing that the psychological aspect of a human being can be just as important, if not more, than the physical traits they have.

Now hurry up and hit "Reply" with some stupid ass remark or a meme, because that's about the depth of your critical thinking skills when you've been shown to be a hypocrite, as demonstrated above.

Back