puking?

desertbake

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know the physiological reason behind puking from intense workouts?

Not sure, but I always eat it back up to regain the nutrients.

j/k

My guess would be that it has something to do with the flight or fight reflex: your body gets rid of that which it doesn't need to complete the workout, like running from a predator.

It's one of the body's natural reactions to stress.

Mental stress can make you puke, pre-fight jitters & the like. Physical stress is the same, whether it's form intense exertion or pain. I've puked from being hit in the nuts with a baseball & I saw a kid puke once in HS when he dislocated his knee.

I think its to get rid of the food so your body can recover better..or some shit.. I dont know but I fuckin hate it..

interesting question. Any doctors in the house?

I found this on the net. It's specific to distance running but I'm sure the reasoning would be the same for any exercise.

Q: Are there any recommendations to avoid post-exercise nausea that is common with many distance runners?

A: There are several reasons why distance runners may become nauseated. Exercise and dehydration both independently reduce blood flow to the gastrointestinal tract. This reduced blood flow may be associated with gut ischemia, resulting in nausea during and/or after running. Maintaining fluid balance by drinking enough to replace sweat losses may help to prevent gastrointestinal problems, in addition to safeguarding health and improving performance. Running with food in the stomach , particularly foods high in fat content, can cause nausea during and/or after running. To promote rapid gastric emptying, pre-exercise meals should be high in carbohydrate, low in fiber, and low in fat. Solid food should be consumed at least an hour before the run. Liquid meals may help prevent nausea due to their faster movement out of the stomach.

-- Ellen Coleman, RD, MA, MPH, Sports Nutritionist, The Sports Clinic

http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/686/sportsmedical_qa.cfm?pid=38

Back