Put it all on the table Jones vs Aspinall

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Pretty sure he still has the belt.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe the UFC must automatically have the best fighter in the world in each division?
No but once we get rid these two old grandpas holding up the div, Aspinall is the gold standard,and its on Francis to prove otherwise...which he wont be able to.

I guess, he definitely had KO power, but he was extremely predictable and boxing centric by the time he fought Jones which actually hindered his ability to get knockouts.
You said power puncher, dude was a power puncher.

Yeah he had been more well rounded before,but even in that fight you saw Jones issue with a guy like that.

The very literal answer is obviously Jon Jones because he will not take a fight he is not certain he will win.

Even if that is not the case Jones still wins and it doesn't look much different than the Gane fight. These HWs just have no frame of reference that prepares them to fight Jon Jones.

Can anyone name a recent HW fight they would consider a great display of MMA skills? HW fights are literally just about swinging and hoping the other guy falls first.

Jon Jones is actually that "new breed HW" people talk about.

You said power puncher, dude was a power puncher.

Yeah he had been more well rounded before,but even in that fight you saw Jones issue with a guy like that.
Yesh I agree.

That's why expanded on my point to say I don't think Jones has fought a guy where he is in peril every moment they are on the feet before.

Rumble would have been that guy but that fight was cancelled. And I'm fairly certain Jon would have taken no risks, took him down and RNCed him.

nahhhhhh

Francis took himself out of the game. He's no longer on the board.

He's so far of the board. He's literally got one fight in mma that makes any sense and that is against Ferreira. And that is not even a big fight. Francis had a chance to really do something big in mma and build a great legacy, but that's done now. He went for the money, got paid large but his legacy is over IMO. Fans and media don't remember what guys get paid, they remember accomplishments and performance.

He's so far of the board. He's literally got one fight in mma that makes any sense and that is against Ferreira. And that is not even a big fight. Francis had a chance to really do something big in mma and build a great legacy, but that's done now. He went for the money, got paid large but his legacy is over IMO. Fans and media don't remember what guys get paid, they remember accomplishments and performance.
I dont blame Big Frank AT ALL for doing that.

But in doing so, he's no longer matters in the HW MMA scene right now and its not likely hes gonna do anything in PFL to change that. Crazier shit has happened but the div is moving on without him. HW doesnt just freeze just cos he left.

He resorted to a lot of things.

fingers4.gif

I saw some dumb-ass Jones fan arguing that we can't hold the finger pokes against him because he stopped doing them so long ago. Yeah, but then he just replaced them with more egregious cheating and, even if he stopped, he should still be held to account for his early cheating.

This gif annoyed me, sir. :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: HHJ
I saw some dumb-ass Jones fan arguing that we can't hold the finger pokes against him because he stopped doing them so long ago. Yeah, but then he just replaced them with more egregious cheating and, even if he stopped, he should still be held to account for his early cheating.

Its def an irksome gif

Me too, how ridiculous is it that just an outstretched hand completely eliminated the legendary Rampage Jackson's ability to fight. No wonder this sport is so easy for Jon no one else ever thought to try the simplest solution.

I dont blame Big Frank AT ALL for doing that.

But in doing so, he's no longer matters in the HW MMA scene right now and its not likely hes gonna do anything in PFL to change that. Crazier shit has happened but the div is moving on without him. HW doesnt just freeze just cos he left.

Neither do I. I think he made the right choice for financial security to leave the UFC. If he took the UFC deal and lost to Jones, his big pay days would be done and he'd go back to making less pay, perhaps better than before, but it wouldn't be championship pay 8 mill a fight +. He left and had options, got paid well vs Fury and Joshua and he still has the PFL option.

But that was the trade off, his legacy is pretty much over.

last time i saw hes a champion of nothing

maybe conning everyone here about fighters pay
fighters benefit
MMA africa
one things for sure
he dodge a loss from jon jones

good for him a loss to jones will end his dreams of boxing money
also good for him getting that big bag from boxing
FACTS

Last time I saw he continues to hold the UFC belt.

Stick to Conor and Pokemon, kiddo. That's your universe.

but now that it's done he has no claim to what's going on right now. He's in boxing and nothing he can do in PFL can sustain any claim to being the best HW in MMA anymore
1711213795010.gif

No but once we get rid these two old grandpas holding up the div, Aspinall is the gold standard,and its on Francis to prove otherwise...which he wont be able to.

If Francis retires without defeat then so does the UFC HW belt.

If someone beats Francis then they will be the UFC HW champion.

ric-flair-beat-the-man-0c2h14dgrhsqhq31.gif

Jones is at that age where he could have fallen off a cliff over night and this looks like Silva vs Weidman I...

*** I hope he retires before that happens though.

Totally. Just like Volkanovski.

You hit the nail on the head, I think. Fighters really do fall off a cliff once they reach whatever age it is that they're too old to fight.

Maybe it's because MMA is so multifaceted - when your physicality starts diminishing there are a million different ways to accomodate and hang on, to slow your descent, until you reach a point where even these workarounds arent effective anymore and then bam, you suddenly just can't do it any more.

The Jones situation is a very good one to illustrate this. On the one hand, he looked amazing in his last fight by demolishing a great fighter in Gane. On the other hand, Gane isn't anywhere close to the wrestler Jones is, so maybe it was just a matter of that - Jones's wrestling was FAR superior, and he was somewhat lucky to get the takedown and dominant position he did.

Looking at it another way, Jon has fought exactly once in more than 4 years in a fight that only lasted 2 minutes. Add to that he's had a long career already, has recently been badly injured and is fighting at a new weightclass - there's a good chance he's well over the cliff today.

Mods make it a poll (you KNOW u wanna)
I owed you one from that time I sent you a nasty message by mistake when removing a bunch of off topic comments.

• Love
Me too, how ridiculous is it that just an outstretched hand completely eliminated the legendary Rampage Jackson's ability to fight. No wonder this sport is so easy for Jon no one else ever thought to try the simplest solution.

It sounds like you're unsure why fouls are fouls. Have you tried not being stupid?

Totally. Just like Volkanovski.

You hit the nail on the head, I think. Fighters really do fall off a cliff once they reach whatever age it is that they're too old to fight.

Maybe it's because MMA is so multifaceted - when your physicality starts diminishing there are a million different ways to accomodate and hang on, to slow your descent, until you reach a point where even these workarounds arent effective anymore and then bam, you suddenly just can't do it any more.

The Jones situation is a very good one to illustrate this. On the one hand, he looked amazing in his last fight by demolishing a great fighter in Gane. On the other hand, Gane isn't anywhere close to the wrestler Jones is, so maybe it was just a matter of that - Jones's wrestling was FAR superior, and he was somewhat lucky to get the takedown and dominant position he did.

Looking at it another way, Jon has fought exactly once in more than 4 years in a fight that only lasted 2 minutes. Add to that he's had a long career already, has recently been badly injured and is fighting at a new weightclass - there's a good chance he's well over the cliff today.
Its a combination of age and really I dont think Jones is a natural HW and Gane was like a Bisping to his GSP

Back