PWD 161: Is WWE/Wrestling dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching Spring Stampede 99. This was WCW's first ppv with the new logo.

Blitzkreig vs. Juventud Guerrera
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity)
Scotty Riggs vs. Mikey Whipwreck
Konnan vs. Disco Inferno
Rey Mysterio Jr. (cruiserweight champion) vs. Kidman
Saturn & Raven vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (w/Arn Anderson)
Scott Steiner vs. Booker T (for the vacant US title)
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash
Ric Flair (WCW champion) vs. Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting vs. Diamond Dallas Page

http://vaughnlive.tv/alwaysrocking2

That was when ddp won the world title. Good shit.

That was when ddp won the world title. Good shit.

He was a bad ass in the WCW and a zero in the WWE. Looks like Diamond Dallas Paige's name didn't mean shit to the WWE exec's. I only remember him losing to the Undertaker, disappearing, and then returning to do a squash match with Slater.

Someone on KM said that Nickla "Babydoll" Roberts daughter debuted on Raw this week but I didnt see anything on the Google
Is this true?
Who is this person?

She was on Raw as one of Adam Rose's "Rosebuds". She's the girl to left of Rose with the Cleopatra look:
10400871_10201353738724900_4907622361775171009_n.jpg

That also looks like Caleb Konley in the stars & stripes outfit. Anyway....

Her real name is Mikala Smith, but she wrestles under the name Samantha Starr. Her father is Sam Houston and Samantha's actually a third generation wrestler, on both sides of her family. Both Babydoll's father & mother were wrestlers, Nick Roberts & Lorraine Johnson (Nick was also the promoter in Lubbock, TX for years). Sam's father was Grizzly Smith. Also on her father's side, Samantha is the niece of Jake "The Snake" Roberts & Rockin' Robin.

There should be a triple threat match between David Flair, Greg Gagne, and Erik Watts.

Greg Gagne definitely doesn't belong with those two, not at all. Greg had real talent, was a good wrestler and was half of one of the best tag teams of the 70's & 80's, the High Flyers. Greg obviously had the advantage of having a father who was a top wrestler & promoter, but it seems like Greg usually gets bashed/knocked just for being the son of Verne Gagne even though he was talented and Verne never pushed him to the moon or put the AWA World Heavyweight Championship on him (and Verne certainly could have). I think Verne was smart in how much he did & didn't push Greg and how Greg was used over the course of his career. Greg Gagne seriously doesn't belong in the same category as the likes of David Flair & Erik Watts, he was much better than either of them.

He was a bad ass in the WCW and a zero in the WWE. Looks like Diamond Dallas Paige's name didn't mean shit to the WWE exec's. I only remember him losing to the Undertaker, disappearing, and then returning to do a squash match with Slater.

It was so unfortunate. Ddp got himself over and could have been a huge star.

I'm so confused sometimes as to how old some of you are. Either you watched a shit tom of old wrestling tapes over the years or I'm young as shit.

Greg Gagne definitely doesn't belong with those two, not at all. Greg had real talent, was a good wrestler and was half of one of the best tag teams of the 70's & 80's, the High Flyers. Greg obviously had the advantage of having a father who was a top wrestler & promoter, but it seems like Greg usually gets bashed/knocked just for being the son of Verne Gagne even though he was talented and Verne never pushed him to the moon or put the AWA World Heavyweight Championship on him (and Verne certainly could have). I think Verne was smart in how much he did & didn't push Greg and how Greg was used over the course of his career. Greg Gagne seriously doesn't belong in the same category as the likes of David Flair & Erik Watts, he was much better than either of them.

Greg had zero personality. If it hadn't been for Verne, he never would have got a push. They even created the AWA TV title just for him. He could wrestle though.

Growing up in in Colorado, AWA was the only wrestling we got (at least in the 70's) and being forced to watch him was just torture.

And J Danger, I'm 44.

Greg had zero personality. If it hadn't been for Verne, he never would have got a push. They even created the AWA TV title just for him. He could wrestle though.

Growing up in in Colorado, AWA was the only wrestling we got (at least in the 70's) and being forced to watch him was just torture.

And J Danger, I'm 44.

I don't disagree that Greg lacked personality, but he still doesn't belong grouped with David Flair and Erik Watts. Captain Ed George & George Gulas belong in that group, but not Greg Gagne.

Really good episode of The Jim Cornette Experience this week with Lance Storm where they talk about the effect the Attitude era had from a business perspective.

I'm watching Spring Stampede 99. This was WCW's first ppv with the new logo.

Blitzkreig vs. Juventud Guerrera
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity)
Scotty Riggs vs. Mikey Whipwreck
Konnan vs. Disco Inferno
Rey Mysterio Jr. (cruiserweight champion) vs. Kidman
Saturn & Raven vs. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (w/Arn Anderson)
Scott Steiner vs. Booker T (for the vacant US title)
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash
Ric Flair (WCW champion) vs. Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting vs. Diamond Dallas Page

http://vaughnlive.tv/alwaysrocking2

I remember that show. Undercard was well worth watching, main bouts less so.

Roddy Piper podcast this week is awesome, recorded in a ring with Terry Funk, Zeus and a certain Don :) Plus constant crowd chants. Only time the fans go quiet is when one of the wrestlers praises WWE :)

Yeah they have like 7 hours of TV each week so obviously not enough time to build up more than one star at the same time. Gotta save some time for our weekly dose of Cena-Orton.

Daniel Bryan injury makes Reigns get pushed earlier, which screw Cesaro out of his obviously aborted push. Wrestling is a shitty business, somebody else's injury fucks you up (and he's not even a guy you were supposed to interact with).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back