Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriouslly cmon man!!! they will need to know where you are leaving from wont they and plus you can spend 5 minutes yourself checking online expedia may be a start...jeez

Seriously! I don't need the actual price i was looking at a ballpark price,so I know how much money i should save.

Seriously! I don't need the actual price i was looking at a ballpark price,so I know how much money i should save.

Your post doesn't even indicate what country you are from, so we'll assume it's the US, since any other country would actually say so. The ballpark price for LA -> Bangkok is a lot different from the ballpark price for (middle of nowhere USA) -> Bangkok.

If you want true ballpark figures, then $1500 round trip from the US is probably fair. A little less if you live in a hub, a little more if it's hard to get to a hub.

from LA to bangkok a china airlines flight is looking to be $800-900 round trip in oct/november

The past 2 years, i went on vacation to Thailand in september. I bought the tickets at april. About 5 months before the leaving date.

If you want the ballpark figure, FIND OUT WHAT MONTH YOU WANT TO LEAVE. Then go to the travel sites such as expedia, cheaptickets, etc...Then go again to the actual airline websites. Check their prices to see who is the lowest.

I went expedia in 2007, got China air for 1,000 bucks. The next year, i went looking to Cathay, EVA, and China airlines. Cathay got the lowest for 950 bucks.

I just checked Cathay Pacific. Its 810.66 dollars for sept. 2 to sept. 30. Both days are wednesday, Los Angeles to Phuket.

You have to REMEMBER also that, the airfare is cheaper when your leaving on a weekday. Or just like Cathay Pacific, you pick the date, it will show you the price. A chart will appear with your date and price but it also includes the other dates with their prices. You can see the cheaper prices on those dates.

Just go to Cathay, China, or Eva and check it out.

if you cant get that kinda info yourself im not sure you should be travelling alone to thailand... mite b a little dangerous.

Can anyone give me an idea on the cost of the taxi ride to the airport? I think they have rides to Thailand there. I'm off all weekend and have nothing else to do. I figured Thailand would be a good place to shop for new socks.

if you cant get that kinda info yourself im not sure you should be travelling alone to thailand... mite b a little dangerous.

Seriously. I can just picture this dunce standing in the middle of Bangkok, handing people money for magic beans.

This post was a great idea guys, keep it going.

I have got the Muay Thai bug after starting it this year. I've been a wrestler in HS and college and did TKD as a kid. I figure I would love to take a trip next year maybe, after a yr of experience though..

I hear a lot of people going for months at a time...although I do see prices per week.

Is going to train in Thailand for 2 weeks worth it??? Instead of sitting on a beach for 7 days with my GF I'd sooner spend 2 weeks training in Thailand!

Also, outside of pro fighters, ever see a lot of brothers (black folk) out there? I have heard some stories of the natives not being fans of Farangs...do I get a pass cause my skin is darker :) lol

This post was a great idea guys, keep it going.

I have got the Muay Thai bug after starting it this year. I've been a wrestler in HS and college and did TKD as a kid. I figure I would love to take a trip next year maybe, after a yr of experience though..

I hear a lot of people going for months at a time...although I do see prices per week.

Is going to train in Thailand for 2 weeks worth it??? Instead of sitting on a beach for 7 days with my GF I'd sooner spend 2 weeks training in Thailand!

Also, outside of pro fighters, ever see a lot of brothers (black folk) out there? I have heard some stories of the natives not being fans of Farangs...do I get a pass cause my skin is darker :) lol

Eh. Two weeks is tough, especially if you're coming from the US. It can be up to a twenty hour plane trip (it's ~22 for me) and you're landing in a country that is a full 11-12 hours ahead of you. That's a major adjustment to make, and that's not even taking into consideration the heat over there.

I train just about every single day, six days a week, and I feel like it still takes me 3-4 days to even get properly adjusted. Added to your travel time, we're talking about a week just to get situated and get into the rhythm of training for three hours a day, six days a week outdoors in that heat. With that in mind, I don't really think two weeks is enough. Do I think you shouldn't go if you only have two weeks? Not at all; I say go anyway because it's generally a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most people. Just prepare yourself for the disappointment of feeling like you didn't get enough training in or that you were just getting started when you had to leave.

Of the four times I've been there, I've maybe seen 3-4 black people training. I'm sure you'll be fine with fellow students and trainers, but it's my understanding that some Thais (especially working women, if you catch my drift) aren't all that crazy about black guys. Hate to say it, but that's what I've been told.

Hope that didn't derail this thread.

I'll be back at Sinbi.

Also, I've shared my information on Thailand a number of times, to the best of my ability. But there are so many posts and questions on here that could have very easily been answered with a Google search or even poking around on the forums here for more than thirty seconds. It seems like most of the time the poster doesn't really even care about the answer, they just want to tell everyone they're going to Thailand. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts like, "GOING 2 THAILAND.... IS IT HOT????"

And as far as how camps and trainers will treat you if it's your first time: it really depends on the camp. If you go somewhere that does a majority of their business catering to tourists and first timers like Tiger or Rawai (both in Phuket), you'll be fine. As a matter of fact, you'll probably find at least twenty other people in your same exact position. But I wouldn't suggest showing up someplace like Kaewsamrit (which is in Bangkok).

Quotes like these are the reason why I am considering Kaewsamrit.

Anyone have expeirence at one of these gyms. I keep hearing very good things about both.

I've been to Kaewsamrit and Fairtex Pattaya. Keawsamrit is all training with very little else. No screwing around, just real training.

I've trained at Kaewsamrit. The only bad thing I would have to say about it is that the ring canvas could probably use some work. The trainers clean it before every practice, but it never dries in time and it's like training on pudding. It took me two rounds before I felt like I could throw a kick without slipping and breaking my neck. But the actual training is great. Very serious, but great. Definitely not the place to go if you hate skipping rope though because they start every session out with about twenty minutes, using Thai ropes. I didn't think I was going to make it up the stairs to my room afterwards. I haven't gone back there because although I'm training, my trips to Thailand are the only vacations I ever take, so I like to enjoy myself. And the area the camp is in doesn't offer much outside of a 7-11.

One thing I picked up at Kaewsamrit that I'll never forget is hand positioning when throwing teeps. I was throwing them on a heavy bag, dropping the same-side hand down almost behind me when a trainer ran up, said "No!" starting mocking the way I was throwing my hand, and then called me a ladyboy. That was probably two or three years ago and I haven't dropped my hand like that since.

Great thread guys. I would love to do this one day.

My Kru went to Kaewsamrit back in 2007 and had great things to say about it. He wrote a few online journal entries that were a good read.

http://daddistrainingcenters.blogspot.com/2007/05/kru-rigels-journal-from-thailand.html

Click on the links under Blog Archive to get to the next part

I also train with Rigel, only on Mondays at BJJ United. He went to Kaewsamrit a few months after I left and actually ended up training with the same trainer and even stayed in the same room. I remember reading his journal and thinking, "Oh shit, he's sleeping in the same bed." Speaking of, if anyone does end up at Kaewsamrit, I very highly recommend finding accommodation outside of the gym.

I also train with Rigel, only on Mondays at BJJ United. He went to Kaewsamrit a few months after I left and actually ended up training with the same trainer and even stayed in the same room. I remember reading his journal and thinking, "Oh shit, he's sleeping in the same bed." Speaking of, if anyone does end up at Kaewsamrit, I very highly recommend finding accommodation outside of the gym.

Yeah when he came back from this trip he kicked our asses (lovingly) in the gym for the next few months. Good to see some other Philly people on this forum. LOL I'm getting the impression that Kaewsamrit does not have plush accommodations.

kaewsamrit-01.jpg

That was the room. No sheets and one working fan. In addition, the rooms are directly above the gym and the space between the floor boards was wide enough to see the gym through. And hear the gym through. There is also only one bathroom for everyone, located in the house that accompanies the gym.

Seriously! I don't need the actual price i was looking at a ballpark price. Prices online obviously changes with different season. I can't quite ask the airlines place how much I should expect to pay during a certain time of the year.

Doesn't seem like you know anything so just shut your trap

I know how to use google and not ask stupid questions without relavant information which is more than I can say for your dumb lazy ass, ballpark figure from anywhere in the world to Thailand?? geez you are a dumbass

gotobread

Thanks, very helpfull!

I would actually fly out of Canada (Montreal) or just drive to Vermont or NewYork and fly from there (would be cheaper)

I was thinking the 2 weeks would feel short, but like you said, a great experience. I could maybe squeeze out 3 weeks. I get 4 weeks a year paid, and I know the little lady will want to do at least 2 trips together...decisions decisions

What do you mean, all ladies love black guys! lol, but thanks for the tip...I won't go there acting like I'm Kanye or anything with the "working' ladies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back