Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teachers earn around 30,000 to 40,000 baht per month if you have a degree. Unless you can get a part time teaching role you wont have enough time to train properly.

How can you tell the ladys from the lady boys? Can the lady boys fight?

Thanks for answering the teaching question, but how about the training in the Bangkok area? Is it worth it?

I think there are so many posts like these because most sherdoggers are jealous of others who have been to Thailand

This is funny because I'm leaving for my fifth trip to Thailand in a few weeks.

How can you tell the ladys from the lady boys? Can the lady boys fight?

Most kathoeys have a noticable voice. It's the ladyboy voice. If you don't trust your instincts, hang out with a local until you "get it." They can spot them from a mile away.

Not really sure of any places as this will be my first time. But if you guys (who's been there before) can give me an estimated price of what can I expect to pay for the plane ticket? is greatly appreciated

Im looking to go one of the camps for 3 weeks later in the year But my intention is mainly on fitness .I only do a pad class twice a week in a gym but it is purelly spent on pad work and fitness (lots of body work exercises in between 3 minute rounds of pad work , not a proper Muay Thai place) I am keen to make the most of the experience and would like to get a begginers grasp on Muay Thai , how do trainers generally feel about people with my intention and lack of experience? I do intend to work my ass off 6 days a week and would like to spend some time getting a half decent technique.

Not really sure of any places as this will be my first time. But if you guys (who's been there before) can give me an estimated price of what can I expect to pay for the plane ticket? is greatly appreciated

seriouslly cmon man!!! they will need to know where you are leaving from wont they and plus you can spend 5 minutes yourself checking online expedia may be a start...jeez

Where are you headed this time?

I'll be back at Sinbi.

Also, I've shared my information on Thailand a number of times, to the best of my ability. But there are so many posts and questions on here that could have very easily been answered with a Google search or even poking around on the forums here for more than thirty seconds. It seems like most of the time the poster doesn't really even care about the answer, they just want to tell everyone they're going to Thailand. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts like, "GOING 2 THAILAND.... IS IT HOT????"

And as far as how camps and trainers will treat you if it's your first time: it really depends on the camp. If you go somewhere that does a majority of their business catering to tourists and first timers like Tiger or Rawai (both in Phuket), you'll be fine. As a matter of fact, you'll probably find at least twenty other people in your same exact position. But I wouldn't suggest showing up someplace like Kaewsamrit (which is in Bangkok).

How safe is it given recent events? My family is doing everything they can to talk me out of going to there. They're convinced I'm going to get kidnapped and held for ransom, or unknowingly break some law that will get me thrown in prison. Is there any way I can put their worrying minds at ease?

How safe is it given recent events? My family is doing everything they can to talk me out of going to there. They're convinced I'm going to get kidnapped and held for ransom, or unknowingly break some law that will get me thrown in prison. Is there any way I can put their worrying minds at ease?

No; I've learned the hard way that there's no way to ease their minds. My family is worried about me going to Thailand when I live in Philadelphia (322 murders last year). The only real trouble spot in Thailand is the deep South, and who the fuck goes there? Chances are you'll be going to either Bangkok or Phuket and if you keep your nose clean, you'll be fine. If you do something obviously stupid anywhere in Thailand, that's your own dumb fault. If you're in Bangkok, approach the nightlife (especially bar girls) carefully. And if you're in Phuket, don't drink and drive your motorbike. There're literally thousands of motorbike deaths a year down there.

As for laws you may not know about, it's not like Thailand is another planet. Outside of insulting the monarchy, everything else is pretty standard.

I'll be back at Sinbi.

Also, I've shared my information on Thailand a number of times, to the best of my ability. But there are so many posts and questions on here that could have very easily been answered with a Google search or even poking around on the forums here for more than thirty seconds. It seems like most of the time the poster doesn't really even care about the answer, they just want to tell everyone they're going to Thailand. I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts like, "GOING 2 THAILAND.... IS IT HOT????"

And as far as how camps and trainers will treat you if it's your first time: it really depends on the camp. If you go somewhere that does a majority of their business catering to tourists and first timers like Tiger or Rawai (both in Phuket), you'll be fine. As a matter of fact, you'll probably find at least twenty other people in your same exact position. But I wouldn't suggest showing up someplace like Kaewsamrit (which is in Bangkok).

I'll be at sinbi around the first or second week of july. Maybe I'll see you there.

I think there are so many posts like these because most sherdoggers are jealous of others who have been to Thailand

This is funny because I'm leaving for my fifth trip to Thailand in a few weeks.

gotobread, i guess this comment applies more to you:

I'm convinced there are so many "questions about Thailand" thread because I think most Sherdoggers want to stealth brag about their trip.

oh wait.. you wrote that! i guess you're not stealth bragging at all. you're just plain bragging! :redface:

As for airfare, buy it straight from the airline's website. Cathay Pacific, China airlines, or Eva are good deals. Try also India or Malaysia airlines. Thai airways is good but more expensive.

But as far as kidnapping, tell them it happens in Philippines, not Thailand. The only problem right now in Thailand is politics.

As far as the laws obey it. Bring extra cash for emergency.

As far as the night life, i can tell you only about my experience in Phuket only. Going to a bar, you order a drink, they will give you a bill and put it in a cup(that cup is meant to hold your bills). Every time you order, the cup fills up. Make sure everytime you check the bill once they put it onto a cup to make sure they don't overcharge you. There will be girls telling you to buy them drink. If you buy them drink, make sure you know what she order and an order only for her. Sometimes the servers will get a drink too even if you didn't order it for them.

As far as the shows overthere, don't even bother. There are hawkers that tell you to go to one of the club shows. If you go to a club, a hawker will follow you and talk to one of the hostess and say that the he(hawker) is the reason you went in. So they will charge you 2x or 3x the drink. The hawker usually get a cut. Don't even bother to talk to the hawkers. Just go to a show club and make sure no hawkers follow you.

Its best to have a favorite hangout bar, so they would know you. I have 3 bars that i went too. Never been overcharge on those bars. When we need to change dollars to baht at night, one of our friends at the bar goes to the exchange place. She returned and show us the receipt and keep saying she don't steal. We just tell her its OK, we know she don't steal and we don't even check the receipt. She even said to us that if we don't have enough money, we can come back the next night to pay the rest of the bills. That bar was our #1 out of the 3 favorite bars. We have build a good friendship, they trust us, we trust them.

I know this is about muay thai regarding the topic but just want to post this up as an advise who will have their first experieince in Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back