Piranha II: The Spawning
The Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
True Lies
Titanic

My pick: Tarantino

While I love Terminator and T2 a lot, having Piranha and the Avatar movies brings down his resume for me, even though I think it's visually stunning, it's just not for me.

Last edited:
JC for me. Virtually nobody can go four for four against Cameron with T1, T2, Aliens and The Abyss. And that's not ocunting the highest grossing movies of all time in his favor. I don't hold Piranha 2 against him. He had to try to break into the studio to keep editing the movie.

Tarantino by an extremely wide margin.

Outside of Terminator, The Abyss, Aliens, and T2, I couldn't care less about Cameron's movies.

yeah but Cameron has directed only a few movies so that’s like 60 percent of his canon. Both those guys have pretty epic batting averages compared to a lot of filmmakers. No knock to legends like Scorsese and Spielberg of course. They’ve helmed far more movies so you’d expect there would be some lackluster films amidst the classics.

Tarantino particularly strikes me as someone who has delivered virtually every time out. The thing is, his stuff is not for everybody and I can see why others might disagree. But, for me, if his worst movie is Death Proof, it’s still got an awesome performance from Russell, a memorable sequence with great stunt work from Zoe Bell, and was part of an overall really fun cinematic experience from which it never should have been separated (Grindhouse).

I tend to have trouble even ranking his movies other than that one cause I think most of them are awesome. I tend to put the Kill Bill films near the bottom too and yet they are really entertaining.

My personal opinion is Cameron didn't land with Avatar at all. While it was as gorgeous and as grandiose as he had hoped, at the end it felt bloated and full of saccharin. Rewatch factor is about as low as it gets imho

My personal opinion is Cameron didn't land with Avatar at all. While it was as gorgeous and as grandiose as he had hoped, at the end it felt bloated and full of saccharin. Rewatch factor is about as low as it gets imho

Definitely low rewatchability but as a one-timer in-theater experience, it was a good ride.

I never had the urge to watch it again and wasn’t drawn to the sequel either, yet I thought the original was reasonably cool as a big screen, surround sound experience.

I think the guy does clearly have a pulse on what people want. His movies from 97 on were forecasted to be disastrous cause of the budgets and yet they were broadly appealing to the mass audience.

JC for me. Virtually nobody can go four for four against Cameron with T1, T2, Aliens and The Abyss. And that's not ocunting the highest grossing movies of all time in his favor. I don't hold Piranha 2 against him. He had to try to break into the studio to keep editing the movie.

I would take Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, Tarantino, and probably several more over Cameron's 4.

It's crazy this is even a comparison considering Cameron hasn't made a good movie in 27 years. I think it was a massive waste of his talent to dedicate 3 entire decades to the Avatar franchise. Or maybe it's a sign of his decline that he couldn't make those movies interesting despite the massive investment he's put into them. They are beautiful to look at but completely lacking in substance. From 1984 to 1991 he was the man though.

yeah but Cameron has directed only a few movies so that’s like 60 percent of his canon. Both those guys have pretty epic batting averages compared to a lot of filmmakers. No knock to legends like Scorsese and Spielberg of course. They’ve helmed far more movies so you’d expect there would be some lackluster films amidst the classics.

Tarantino particularly strikes me as someone who has delivered virtually every time out. The thing is, his stuff is not for everybody and I can see why others might disagree. But, for me, if his worst movie is Death Proof, it’s still got an awesome performance from Russell, a memorable sequence with great stunt work from Zoe Bell, and was part of an overall really fun cinematic experience from which it never should have been separated (Grindhouse).

I tend to have trouble even ranking his movies other than that one cause I think most of them are awesome. I tend to put the Kill Bill films near the bottom too and yet they are really entertaining.

Eh, it's 36% of his filmography. There's no denying he's made plenty of successful blockbusters but they're not for me. Yeah, Tarantino delivers almost every time and his movies are unique and interesting. I understand why some people might not enjoy them though.

Tarantino does what Tarantino does for Tarantino.

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron.
James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron.

I like Tarantino's movies but I'm going with Cameron because of Terminator and Aliens

Back