Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
would you say you are......possessed?

giphy.gif

The Purge: Election Year
Pure background viewing while up my mate's house last night; neither of us were particularly interested in it, but it was still pretty boring/predictable. Wasn't a huge fan of the first to be honest, so went in with low expectations.
4/10

Pure background viewing while up my mate's house last night; neither of us were particularly interested in it, but it was still pretty boring/predictable. Wasn't a huge fan of the first to be honest, so went in with low expectations.
4/10
I walked out on the Purge: Anarchy in the movie theaters because I thought it was so stupid. lol

A Ghost Story - 4/10

Yes. That's a low score but I thought it was thought provoking and a wonderful art piece. It was an absolute punch in the gut several times. As a MOVIE though, it's very hard to recommend. It's slow, boring, minimal dialogue and not much happens. All of that plays into the story though.

I can't recommend it to really anyone as a movie but if you want an experience or to watch a work of art, I'd definitely recommend it.

4/10
And once again Bubba died

A Ghost Story - 4/10

Yes. That's a low score but I thought it was thought provoking and a wonderful art piece. It was an absolute punch in the gut several times. As a MOVIE though, it's very hard to recommend. It's slow, boring, minimal dialogue and not much happens. All of that plays into the story though.

I can't recommend it to really anyone as a movie but if you want an experience or to watch a work of art, I'd definitely recommend it.

I gave it the same rating.

Solaris (2002)

Solaris2002poster.jpg

Weird as fuck movie. George Clooney is one of the most overrated actors in Hollywood.

4/10 - "D"

Rambo: First Blood Part II - 10/10. It's been several years since I last saw it but man, this was the most I've ever enjoyed it. It was just so absolutely badass to the max, and without even an ounce of self deprecation (like so many movies nowadays) which was actually refreshing. My rating of course is more from my overall enjoyment rather than from an actual technical standpoint (in that regard I'd probably give it a 5.5/10). But holy hell I enjoyed this thing so damn much. It was just so, so satisfying.

220px-Rambo_first_blood_part_ii.jpg

Sicario

Slow, extremely tense and gruesome movie. Great cinematography with some beautiful shots and very good acting, especially Del Toro. The story is a bit weak and weirdly structured in my eyes but everything else makes up for it so it didn't bother me too much. Kinda felt like everything that happened was barely scratching the surface, and while it had a very impactful ending, the rest of it gave me a superficial vibe. Still a good watch, would reccomend if you want a decent thriller drama.

Jumanji 6-10.
Some laughs, but a typical Rock movie. Took the kids, mu daughter loved it, my son said the action should have been better.

The Florida project 9/10

Such a well directed and acted movie. This is the antithesis of superhero movies and had such a magnetic pull on me throughout. There wasn't any huge event happening in the movie, but I was compelled by the characters and was invested in finding out what happened to them. I don't want to discuss the plot too much because I went into this movie totally blind except knowing that young kids were the main characters but it's definitely worth the 2 hours.

Last edited:
Three Billboards - 9/10

Emotional.

April and the Extraordinary world 8/10

Animated French/ Canadian movie i found on Netflix

I was looked for something animated on Netflix and outside the typical fare you get and stumbled upon this gem. great steam punk style universe and entertaining story

april_and_the_extraordinary_world_still.jpg

Re-watched Dead Presidents (like maybe late 90s early 2000s was the last time I watched it).

8/10. Great movie. decent acting, great war scenes, wish the actual bank heist scene was longer and the ending is a bit unfulfilling.

Phantom Thread 9.5/10

I can't explain why, but it's a true masterpiece. The tension, the relationships, DDL's character... all outrageous, and passive.

The score and the sound were mesmerizing, and is what drove everything forward.

I'm a fool and sound high on myself, but it's a 50/50 movie. You'll probably hate it.

Also, the humor sneaks up on you. It's all nuanced, and can be easily missed. It's there, and really feels like a PTA movie.

@shadow_priest_x @Dragonlordxxxxx

Any plans on seeing this? Or did I miss your review?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hostiles. 8/10.

Good acting. Brutal fight/death scenes. A few Cliches' but over a great way to spend my day off (saw the early matinee on Friday).

MV5BZTZjYzU2NTktNTdmNi00OTM0LTg5MDgtNGFjOGMzNjY0MDk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_SX675_CR0,0,675,999_AL_.jpg

9/10 Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri

Frances McDormand's performance definitely put her in Oscar contention. It's the kind of strong female characters with heart that Hollywood should learn to do more of, not just recast male character roles to female actresses.

Film is genuinely unpredictable, things are just constantly taking an unexpected turn.

Wonderfully written and acted characters. The supporting cast also did an wonderful job, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell were as good as ever.

Highly recommended

Excellent film. The cast put forth amazing performances.

The Post

6.5/10

This movie is 2017's oscar bait. Half way through the movie, this is how I felt. The first half was a drag, but it picks up in the second half. Considering the amount of talent and you also got the Spielberg/Hanks combo, the acting felt par for the course. Odenkirk is one of my favourite actor, but his role here felt miscast. Streep was great as usual. But the story felt predictable even though I was not familiar with the history. I would recommend this to Streep fans, and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back