Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we're basically on the same page, except for the statement "it was made as if the first one never happened". I don't see it as a straight up sequel, but I also don't see it as an anthology. As a viewer, I don't entirely agree with his notion of it being basically just two shared characters, and not much more.

There's a common narrative shared between the two films. And that's Alejandro's quest for revenge. That's a story which carries over. It might be in the background, but it's definitely there as a continuation. I'm willing to bet it will also carry over to the third film as well, with him using the kid to help him get to Reyes and completing that narrative.
he got his revenge on the guy who ordered his family's death in the first. They make reference to him still wanting the same revenge in this one. I take that as if the first one never happened because his motivation would have changed slightly to stopping family killing, or something of that sort. But hes still after his family's killer is what I took out of it.

he got his revenge on the guy who ordered his family's death in the first. They make reference to him still wanting the same revenge in this one. I take that as if the first one never happened because his motivation would have changed slightly to stopping family killing, or something of that sort. But hes still after his family's killer is what I took out of it.

Didn't he kill the man (Fausto Alarcon) who actually murdered his family in the first one? He still needs to kill the man he worked for, which is Carlos Reyes. Alarcon was a Drug Lord for that cartel, but Reyes is the actual leader. That's what the conversation he had with Isabel was referring to was it not? He said he already killed the man who actually carried out the killings.

Didn't he kill the man (Fausto Alarcon) who actually murdered his family in the first one? He still needs to kill the man he worked for, which is Carlos Reyes. Alarcon was a Drug Lord for that cartel, but Reyes is the actual leader. That's what the conversation he had with Isabel was referring to was it not? He said he already killed the man who actually carried out the killings.
You got me there

Bronson (2008)

Bronson_poster.jpg

Tom Hardy gave a stellar performance as always, and there were some other good performances, but I found the story pretty disturbing. This guy was a complete nut.

5/10 - "C-"

Hereditary
download (2).jpeg

Complete and utter trash
127mins of plodding script
Over the top drag queen theatrics
And every banal genre cliche they could fit in.

Later that night i saw
Unsane
Unsane_(film).png

It was good.
It looked genius in comparison.
Sodenbourgh directed.
Small matt damon cameo.
Main star was extremely likeable.
Main protagonist was very believable.
Script wasnt exactly suprising....but cast made it work.

Suburbicon - 1/10

The worst movie I've seen in the past 10 years. Clooney should stick to acting.

Sicario 2 - 7.5/10. Would be a solid 8 or 8.5 if the ending had been executed better.

I don't remember much about the first one, but I enjoyed this for the most part. The plot and characters were interesting and the action scenes were all very well done.

I felt the first 2/3 was really good, but it kind of goes off the rails a bit at the end.

It seemed like the writing got really sloppy at the end of the movie. For instance when Brolin's character is on the chopper heading towards Del Toro's position, they say they're 5 mins out. It's pitch black out when they say this then when they catch up to the cartel members that they were after it looks like it's the middle of the afternoon all of the sudden.

Then Del Toro gets up after getting shot in the face and somehow makes his way to the exact place where the cartel members got ambushed by Brolin's team? They must have been real close because it didn't seem like he was in any shape to walk several miles.

I didn't hate the ending with him confronting the kid, it just seemed like an odd way to end the movie.

Ronnie Coleman: The King.

9/10

I’m bias as hell on these type of films. Pumping Iron, Generation Iron, i just love and admire the hardwork and dedication these guys go through to become physical monsters. That said, this film really shows the toll Ronnie Coleman paid to become the beast he was. The love he has for his daughters, his work ethic, his general attitude are all on display here; and at the end, no matter where you stood before, you’re gonna root for this guy.

Documentary lovers, you’re gonna love this film. Coleman is the poster child for likability. You’ll love his attitude. He laughs at himself often. Seeing him on crutches is both heartbreaking and awe-inspiring. Him saying his only regret is not squatting 800lbs. 5 times is basically the whole film generalized.

Highly recommend

Cargo: a Netflix original starring Martin Freeman of Sherlock and Black Panther fame. The guy can act. The movie, set in the Australian Outback is a story of survival after a Zombie outbreak. Not your typical Zombie story, as the Zombies play only a small role. Shot beautifully, although lacking intense scares, this plays more like a drama. With a watch as it gets better as it goes. 7.5/10.

Set It Up: Rom Com I watched with my daughter. Cliche characters but strong leads. If you like rom coms this one is good, albeit predectible.. Zooey Deutch is a rising star. 7/10.

He was great in The Descendants. I'll give him that.

Thought he was very good in Up in the Air and (from what I saw of it, couldn't get through the whole long, dull movie) Syriana as well. Also, as scenery-chewing as Pitt and Malkovich were in Burn After Reading, I thought Clooney was just as funny with his palpable sleaziness.

He sort of hearkens back to the old days of Hollywood- where he has a certain persona and will do well with roles in his wheelhouse. Not a lot of range there, but definitely does well in the right films.

That being said, that Suburbicon movie looked like a trash Coen brother rip off.

IT

Errr...I guess it was okay for what it is. I don't really understand what "IT" is though, other than that it feeds on fear, and is a manifestation of people's fears, but is also a physical being that...kills people? I don't get it. I think they're trying to have this alternate universe that only the kids can see, but it really takes you out of it, when this clown is physically hurting people. I could get behind the idea if Pennywise never actually physically hurt anyone, and was purely an imaginary being, but he physically interacts with people all the time. He grabs them, claws them, eats them...until it's convenient for the plot not to have him do that. Ugh, I don't get it.

Now, that would be okay if the movie was actually scary. It wasn't. Pennywise is not scary. The set-pieces are not scary. The atmosphere is nonexistent. It's just kids wandering around and having tricks played on them. At least the acting was good for the most part, and with a movie that stars kids, that's a big plus. Nothing is worse than a bad child actor, and luckily these kids are all up to the task. I can't say the same for the guy who played Pennywise though. I thought his performance was so silly. The first time he's introduced, he speaks in this Scooby-Doo voice, and I couldn't get it out of my head for the rest of the movie. Pennywise is simply not threatening or imposing, and I gotta put a lot of the blame on the performance. Whatever that cat was doing, just didn't work for me.

All in all, it's a bad horror movie, with hints of a decent adolescent adventure movie. Nothing really ever comes together. It's watchable, but totally forgettable.

5/10

81NS27VkABL._SX355_.jpg

some solid writing, good performances, story arc's tone firmly planted tongue-in-cheek, but I don't like nightclubs and palm trees, pretty disturbing 5/10 C-

Not liking movie for it's content? Unheard of! No one ever does that... :rolleyes:

mostly people who don't work in the industry

removing content from execution helps to evaluate films less with your genitals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back