Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Apocalypse now theatrical cut
-
Came up recently in another thread so I felt a little forced to rewatch it.

It's great, I appreciate more things about it than I did when I saw it last. But I also now understand why I rarely revisit it. It feels kinda slow.

And what's crazy is I dont feel the same thing when watching godfather 1 and 2 even though their pacing gets brought up

So I cant really place or explain why I think Apocalypse now feels slow. Closest thing I can get to an explanation is that every scene goes on just a bit too long and it all adds up.

The production value and direction is insane though. And the cinematography and shots and the way it slowly gets darker and trippier is really incredible. Gets around a 7 on that alone. And the performances get it at least an 8. The tiger scene is top tier too.

MVP for me....Duvall. And I really like the whole surfing gag, a lot. i could watch a whole comedy film about Duvall in the Vietnam war just trying to surf while there is chaos around him.

8 range or higher. Alright I'll give it around an 8.5 @The Good The Bad The HBK but I'm still not saying its top 5 70s yet. It was cool seeing Chevy Chase as Col. Lucas too.

10/10 for me and probably my favourite film.

I saw it for the first time when it was in theatres in 2000 or 2001. The "Redux" version.

It is perfect that way that it is but I would also gladly watch a 5 hour version if one existed.

Apocalypse now theatrical cut
-
Came up recently in another thread so I felt a little forced to rewatch it.

It's great, I appreciate more things about it than I did when I saw it last. But I also now understand why I rarely revisit it. It feels kinda slow.

And what's crazy is I dont feel the same thing when watching godfather 1 and 2 even though their pacing gets brought up

So I cant really place or explain why I think Apocalypse now feels slow. Closest thing I can get to an explanation is that every scene goes on just a bit too long and it all adds up.

The production value and direction is insane though. And the cinematography and shots and the way it slowly gets darker and trippier is really incredible. Gets around a 7 on that alone. And the performances get it at least an 8. The tiger scene is top tier too.

MVP for me....Duvall. And I really like the whole surfing gag, a lot. i could watch a whole comedy film about Duvall in the Vietnam war just trying to surf while there is chaos around him.

8 range or higher. Alright I'll give it around an 8.5 @The Good The Bad The HBK but I'm still not saying its top 5 70s yet. It was cool seeing Chevy Chase as Col. Lucas too.

It's one of the few movies I like more every time I watch it. After watching the documentary called heart of darkness I like it even more. 8.5/10 is still a great score. I digs it.

You ever read heart of darkness the book? Its what's it is based on. I read some of it back in the day

f958bdbc-4949-42ef-892f-1b711b641bdd_text.gif

The Silence Of The Lambs 1991
silence_of_the_lambs_1991_fr_original_film_art_600x.webp

I guess this is widely regarded as one of the top 2 serial killer movies of all time, trading places with Seven most often. I have Silence ahead in the race by a liver

it really is a great movie, though I may be one of the few that isn't blown away by the choice of Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal - either that or Jonathan Demme should have done away with the garish hanging a copper from a jail cell using flags and bunting. Hopkins just doesn't come across as imposing enough to manage this task, the copper that was strung up was a big old boy.
Other than that I have no qualms, probably breaks top 50 all time for me, top 70 at worst.
Jodie Foster is cute as a button and I have no problem with anyone placing at the very top of the pile of female actors, that risky start to her career could have seen her easily go the way of Linda Blair, but she kept her head and made the right choices.
Considering the movie won 5 oscars I'm surprised Ted Levine didn't get a nod for supporting, especially when you consider Harvey Keitel, Tommy Lee Jones, Jack Palance and Ben Kingsley were among the nominees - I'd put Buffalo Bill ahead of all of them personally.

Talking about the 92 Oscars, I sitll can't believe Thelma & Louise won best original screenplay ahead of Boyz N The Hood and Fisher King, that was some bullshit

rated 'it puts the bunny back in the box or it gets the hose again'/10

RAISE THE TITANIC (1980)

Pretty good cast assembled for a sort of political spy type of story where the wreckage of the Titanic has to be located and raised from the deep because it contains a large quantity of a rare element that will shift the balance in the Cold War arms race.

Richard Jordan, Alec Guinness, M. Emmet Walsh, Jason Robards, Anne Archer, Mike Pataki and others. The movie is only four years after Logan's Run but Richard Jordan looks like the Dad of Richard Jordan from Logan's Run.

Movie is all right but the big problem is it never really establishes the stakes with obtaining this element. They just say it's important and then the expedition is on. Had they put the leg work in for the stakes this might have been something really cool. It's kind of interesting to watch them look for and come up with a way to raise the Titanic but other than some characters saying it really matters I don't get the impression that the fate of the western world depends on it. Also devotes some screen time to a cornball love triangle.

They do a decent job with the process and spectacle of the whole thing…but less so with the story and stakes and emotion that ought to justify the spectacle.

A submersible looking for the Titanic goes full Stockton Rush. Never go full Stockton.

Could have really been something but it is a case of mostly missed potential. Best part was the one or two Alex Guinness scenes.

5.1 / 10.

Last edited:
RAISE THE TITANIC (1980)

Pretty good cast assembled for a sort of political spy type of story where the wreckage of the Titanic has to be located and raised from the deep because it contains a large quantity of a rare element that will shift the balance in the Cold War arms race.

Richard Jordan, Alec Guinness, M. Emmet Walsh, Jason Robards, Anne Archer, Mike Pataki and others. The movie is only four years after Logan's Run but Richard Jordan looks like the Dad of Richard Jordan from Logan's Run.

Movie is all right but the big problem is it never really establishes the stakes with obtaining this element. They just say it's important and then the expedition is on. Had they put the leg work in for the stakes this might have been something really cool. It's kind of interesting to watch them look for and come up with a way to raise the Titanic but other than some characters saying it really matters I don't get the impression that the fate of the western world depends on it. Also devotes some screen time to a cornball love triangle.

They do a decent job with the process and spectacle of the whole thing…but less so with the story and stakes and emotion that ought to justify the spectacle.

A submersible looking for the Titanic goes full Stockton Rush. Never go full Stockton.

Could have really been something but somewhat missed potential. Best part was the one or two Alex Guinness scenes.

5.1 / 10.
Not a bad movie, personally was never a fan of anything to do with the cold war in movies, or spy shit in general unless it was over the top action movies.
Maybe it's something to do with the dullness of moving among the shadows in a literal sense (in a non-malevolent sense), these movies always seemed so cold and grey and lifeless.
Too many men in long coats trying to be incognito, really doesn't pull any of my strings

It's decent though, and kind of hard to put into perspective now that we've know the whereabouts of the Titanic for almost 40 years. At the time it was still a mystery and seeing it rising from the ocean was sensationalist to say the least. The idea of the movie resonates more than actually watching it. It's been on my rewatch list for a long time now

RAISE THE TITANIC (1980)

Could have really been something but it is a case of mostly missed potential. Best part was the one or two Alex Guinness scenes.

5.1 / 10.
Speaking of Alec Guinness and the cold war, have you ever seen Smiley's People?

Speaking of Alec Guinness and the cold war, have you ever seen Smiley's People?

The old miniseries? I haven't but I should.

Speaking of serial killers, have you seen The Deliberate Stranger?

I've always been a Kevin Smith fan. You don't make a lot of friends saying that out loud but the ones you do make are probably going to be sticking around, talking loud and often saying nothing.

Clerks III ends the trilogy and what a way to go out. These are characters I grew up on, who were there throughout the decades and I feel for them. Smith manages to end the story with a lot of heart and pathos, bringing it all back to where it began as the curtain falls one last time.

It's not going to be making new fans. In order to fully appreciate this film I think you have to know where it's coming from.

Bring on Mallrats 2.

The old miniseries? I haven't but I should.

Speaking of serial killers, have you seen The Deliberate Stranger?
Yes but you ruined that with the whole Mark Harmon/Terry O'Quinn thing, now I can't see one without the other!

It's decent though, nothing groundbreaking, turns into a bit of a comedy at times when he keeps running away.

I enjoyed it, luckily I like both Mark and Terry. Never did get around to Extremely Wicked mind you

Did you ever watch To Catch A killer with Brian Dennehy? That's once I've been meaning to catch for a while now

I've always been a Kevin Smith fan. You don't make a lot of friends saying that out loud but the ones you do make are probably going to be sticking around, talking loud and often saying nothing.

Clerks III ends the trilogy and what a way to go out. These are characters I grew up on, who were there throughout the decades and I feel for them. Smith manages to end the story with a lot of heart and pathos, bringing it all back to where it began as the curtain falls one last time.

It's not going to be making new fans. In order to fully appreciate this film I think you have to know where it's coming from.

Bring on Mallrats 2.

I was one of the seemingly few that quite liked Clerks III. I enjoyed Clerks and Clerks II but until this movie I didn't know I actually cared about the characters. And when did Dante learn to act? Jeez...guy came out of nowhere with his performance in that movie.

Last edited:

Bring on Mallrats 2.

I don't collect movies but if I did I'd buy the Clerks box set that just came out for the packaging alone. (Bring on Dogma 2)

Amazon_ClerksBoxSet-jpg.webp

RAISE THE TITANIC (1980)

5.1 / 10.

My Dad and I rented this back in like 1996, after I read the novel. It was among my Dad’s Clive Cussler novel collection that he’d been building since probably 10 or 15 years before I was even born.

Probably a cliche to even say at this point, but the novel was vastly better than the movie. The Dirk Pitt character in the books is like a little bit Indiana Jones and a little bit James Bond, and I don’t remember his character reminding me of either in the movie.

Would definitely be interested in a rewatch though after so many years.

My Dad and I rented this back in like 1996, after I read the novel. It was among my Dad’s Clive Cussler novel collection that he’d been building since probably 10 or 15 years before I was even born.

Probably a cliche to even say at this point, but the novel was vastly better than the movie. The Dirk Pitt character in the books is like a little bit Indiana Jones and a little bit James Bond, and I don’t remember his character reminding me of either in the movie.

Would definitely be interested in a rewatch though after so many years.

As I was watching it I thought the film if it shored up a few of its weaknesses and went a bit further in the direction you are talking about could have made quite a good James Bond movie.

Aside from both movies having Richard Jordan I thought with some touching up it could have been something more like The Hunt for Red October.

Last edited:
Back at it.

Citizen Kane
-
I've seen some of it before but wanted to watch it all. Greatest movie of all time? Definitely not. Maybe for the time and its influence. But the weight of the accolades around it makes it a bit underwhelming as compared to something like the Godfather or seven samurai where it makes more sense.

It's still a good movie though, with good performances and an interesting character study. A lot of good shots and transitions as well. Also cool that Welles used a lot of new actors.

7 range.

Yes but you ruined that with the whole Mark Harmon/Terry O'Quinn thing, now I can't see one without the other!

It's decent though, nothing groundbreaking, turns into a bit of a comedy at times when he keeps running away.

I enjoyed it, luckily I like both Mark and Terry. Never did get around to Extremely Wicked mind you

Did you ever watch To Catch A killer with Brian Dennehy? That's once I've been meaning to catch for a while now

I actually really did not like To Catch a Killer much at all. Dennehy does a decent job but the way the miniseries is structured...it ended up as boring as it could imaginably be for me.

They know it's him within the first ten or fifteen minutes and then it's three or four hours of them just trying to get a search warrant. There was no reason at all for that to be two separate feature length parts. Also they had scenes that I have a hard time ever imagining happened in real life...like Gacy actually in a clown suit handcuffing a teenager in front of the investigating task force to taunt them.

But I definitely liked Citizen X and Deliberate Stranger more than you so you might like To Catch a Killer more than me.

I mentioned Gladiator (1992) earlier in the thread. The final fight scene with Dennehy is exactly how I would have imagined him playing Gacy if he had a victim right where he wanted him and the director allowed him to just let loose. That is basically Dennehy as Gacy as far as I'm concerned. Maybe his best scene of his career too.

There was also a slightly older TV movie about the Hillside Stranglers with Richard Crenna, Billy Zane and Dennis Farina that I thought was better overall.

Last edited:
Five Nights at Freddys 6.5/10
For horror fans only, as the plot, subplots and weird interactions are dumb as fuck. Should have been a home run with the soooky setting and premise, but it was not scary and made little sense. Still some decent scenes, and Hutcherson is a decent actor.

Hudsucker Proxy
-

Surprisingly good. I like the old school feel and lighthearted tone to it. You dont really get a lot of these fantasy based films anymore, scifi has seemed to overtake it a lot in recent years.

Tim Robbins is good in it and did what was asked but I think I was mostly impressed with Paul Newman and Jennifer Jason Lee.

Wasnt a fan of every choice the film made but it left me in a good mood and I enjoyed it. Also has a great score although I swear it's just Pure Imagination in Wonka reworked a bit.

7.3 range

Back