Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

it was aight.
yeesh if that was just aiight
you would absolutely hate what I watched tonight

please don't destroy's the treasure of foggy mountain
6/10
an easy to watch feel good comedy
I am a fan of pdd. tbh i feel like before SNL they were funnier but they of course have had their biggest hits with the company
the movie is basically a series of mini suits and punch lines lined up
it would never be a "good" movie

but it's a movie to throw up the foot rest with a beer and some of satan's kale with

did anyone else catch the house that jack built?
I am watching it now and loving it, probably the best serial killer I have seen in a long time especially for recent movies
Matt dillion is amazing as an awkward ocd serial killer

I love the dark b leak atmosphere and some of these "incidents" as the film refers to them are absolutely brutal

I just saw the picnic scene that is going to stick with me for a while
'
I watched it a while back, mostly because Lars von Trier is the director.

Some of the individual scenes really hit but the framing device ("Verge") did not work for me. I can see the concept on paper but I don't think it worked that well in practice.

Ended up being a "interesting but just ok" film for me.

Glad you love it tho. There is definitely some great ideas in the film

Terminator Salvation (2009)

Avoided this one for awhile because of the scathing reviews. I finally got around to watching it and WOW is it awful. It makes Freddy Got Fingered look like Casablanca. It's awful. Awful. Awful.

Edit: Awful

Monkey Man(2024)

This seems to have been sold strongly as an "Indian John Wick" but I would say thats not really true, the Wick films obviously play up Hong Kong style wide shot cool action heavily were as this is very much close shot and often hand held. Its also I'd say much heavier on the drama than Wick is to the degree I think it would have been doing itself a disservice making the action too "cool" rather than playing up its brutality. Always rated Dev Patel very highly as an actor and I think he definately shines here(and as a director) and whilst the action is definitely not "graceful" I found it easy enough to follow, its not bad 00's style stuff were its made obscure for its own sake.

Revenge film that reallty focuses on the trauma/revenge not as an excuse for action, probably will not be popular with BJP supporters.....

Last edited:
Saw Dune 2.

Villeneuve has been one of my favourite director since Prisoners and it looks like he has found a home in doing sci-fi. Hollywood should learn from this movie how CGI should be employed. The sfx and practical effects blend together seamlessly, especially in action scenes it doesn't look like they are visually abusing you. Movie is long but doesn't feel like it's dragging anywhere. If there was anything negative I'd say it's the casting choice for the emperor as he look nothing like the character.

9/10

Terminator Salvation (2009)

Avoided this one for awhile because of the scathing reviews. I finally got around to watching it and WOW is it awful. It makes Freddy Got Fingered look like Casablanca. It's awful. Awful. Awful.

Edit: Awful

It was my most disappointing movie of that year. Before release, on paper, it's great. You have a very competent actor Christian Bale as the leading man portraying John Connor during the resistance. But yea, I left the theater wondering wtf did I just watched.

It was my most disappointing movie of that year. Before release, on paper, it's great. You have a very competent actor Christian Bale as the leading man portraying John Connor during the resistance. But yea, I left the theater wondering wtf did I just watched.

McG

Watching the Kickboxer marathon for the first time in years. Call me crazy but it appears there is a different Tong Po in every movie.

Basic_movie.jpg

Basic (2003)

On a training exercise, Sergeant Nathan West/Samuel L. Jackson leads his Ranger team into the Panama jungle. When only two Soldiers survive the training exercise a military investigation is conducted by Captain Julia Osborne/Connie Nielsen and a former Soldier, DEA Agent Tom Hardy/John Travolta. The stories and accounts do not exactly collaborate with one other, so questions immediately arise of what happened. The big surprise is at the end. I believe it was a pretty solid film overall

Nightmare on Elm St 3 Dream Warriors--7/10
It has been a while since I watched this and IMO it is still the best of the series. I absolutely loved it in 19I87. I loved the soundtrack featuring Dokken, and thought the kills and effects were next level. Some shine has worn off as SFX today are just way better. But it was a cool cast and for its time was a fun horror with one of the coolest movie monsters ever.

1712785019041.png

The Martian

9/10

What a great movie. Solid script. Solid acting. Solid directing. I would have like them to deal with the consequences of isolation, but it's only a small complaint. It was the 3rd time I watched the film and, just like Dunkirk, I still felt the tension.

Bonus:
jessica%2520chastain%2520met%2520gala%25202023%2520platinum%2520blonde%2520hero.jpg

On The Line-6/10
Mel Gibson as a shock jock radio host that encounters a psycho. This is no cinematic masterpiece, but there are enough twists and turns to keep you engaged and things make more sense as the movie races to the finish line. For me, the twists and turns were predictable and easy to figure out, but they still entertained me. Mel Gibson is still a beast, but unfortunately the supporting cast was weak and brought this production down quite a bit. The movie also felt like it should have been made in the 90s, as radio DJ s and shock jocks are kind of a thing of the past. I can't get too much into what COULD have made this a winner without ruining the plot, but I think this is better than critics are saying, but only worth a watch if you have nothing else to do, or you are a huge Gibson fan. It is at least as good as most of the made for streaming services action movies.

View attachment 1037540
Oddly, I watched this too and yeah, our ratings are about the same, only I'd go to 5 or 5.5.

Oddly, I watched this too and yeah, our ratings are about the same, only I'd go to 5 or 5.5.
I believe movies at this level are worth a watch. Not everything is a homerun, but they can still entertain for an hour and a half or two. I may start a thread for movies that people have watched and just thought "10", great film.

Roadhouse (2023?)

I loved it...

Hoping we get a Roadhouse 2 : Knox Revenge in 2026

Apart from the countless shots of Zendya looking disgruntled and the suspension of disbelief required to accept Batista fleeing in fear of Chalamet, Dune 2 was decent 7/10.

I saw Civil War today. I knew going into it that they likely wouldn't cover much about the background of the actual war, like how it started, who all is involved, etc etc and that it would be more about the press/photographers. That was pretty much correct but they basically did not cover it at all. What you hear in the trailer is pretty much it, outside like 1 or 2 lines. The ending was absolutely terrible as well. I was OK with the movie until then. After the ending, solid 3 or 4 out of 10.

Clan of the White Lotus (Hong Kong, 1980)

Shaw Brothers kung fu action comedy starring Lo Lieh and Gordon Liu. Lieh also directed the film. It is a loose sequel to Executioners from Shaolin.

Man Ting Hung (Liu) and his brother-in-law Wu Ah Biu (King Chu Lee) kill Pai Mei ("Bushy Eyebrows") in combat. I think that the death blow may have been ripping his dick off but I am not sure. The film starts with this fight and there is no explanation or background. You just have to go with 3 guys kung fu fighting and not worry about motivations. It is a jarring way to start the film but it is a weird film even by kung fu standards.

Mei's classmate, Priest White Lotus (Lieh) seeks revenge (this is a great example of how tongue in cheek bizarre this film is. Lieh plays both villain roles but for some reason the film decides to call the virtually identical looking characters "former classmates").

White Lotus kicks their asses in a variety of ways over the course of the film. Each time Ting Hung trains new kung fu techniques and tries again.

Ting Hung's sister-in-law gets to impact the plot (a rarity for a woman in a Shaw movie) by teaching him "woman's kung fu". Don't worry though, she is promptly disappears from the plot once she serves her purpose.

I suppose you can say that Ting Hung goes through a martial arts journey where he learns to expand his perceptions and incorporate the wisdom and skills of other people into his own style. In practice it is a very repetitive film with fights against White Lotus, more training, and then repeat.

The film is full on camp with White Lotus saying lines like "your tiger and crane style has no effect on me" and then stroking his goatee. There are lots and lots of groin punches. White Lotus uses a "100 Pace Soul Catcher Death Punch" technique. Yeah, it is that sort of movie.

The Pai Mei character is used in Kill Bill Volume 2. Tarantino has fun with it by casting Gordon Liu in the role. The entire schtick for the character is lifted from this film and Executioners from Shaolin. Tarantino somehow brings even more camp to the proceedings. It is a campy twist on a campy character.

The movie is ridiculous even by the standards of kung fu movies but the choreography is good, everybody is in on the joke, Liu is good, and it is pretty funny.

Rating: Kung Fu Classic

Last edited:
Beyond Outrage (Japan, 2012) and Outrage Coda (Japan, 2017)

The last 2 films in Takeshi Kitano's Outrage yakuza trilogy.

Since it is a trilogy, I cannot write much about the plot without giving away spoilers.

Suffice it to say that they are Japanese gangster films with lots of plotting, scheming, double crossing, and Kitano's signature outbursts of extreme violence. Otomo (Kitano) is always a critical character even if he does not dominate the screen time.

The films look great and Kitano delivers great characters doing violent things. The details were a bit difficult to follow at times but the overall plots are not that difficult to understand once you get to the end.

While the films can stand alone, I strongly suggest watching all three in a row. There are a lot of characters and nuance that you will miss otherwise. I made the mistake of not re-watching Outrage (2010) before watching the last 2 films in the trilogy. In hindsight , I definitely did not remember the original film well enough to get full value out of the sequels.

The entire enterprise feels like Kitano was trying to do Yakuza Godfather but falls well short of that lofty ambition. These are not Kitano's best films but they are still very good yakuza movies.

I enjoyed both of them.

Rating: 6.5/10 (both)

Last edited:
I saw Civil War today. I knew going into it that they likely wouldn't cover much about the background of the actual war, like how it started, who all is involved, etc etc and that it would be more about the press/photographers. That was pretty much correct but they basically did not cover it at all. What you hear in the trailer is pretty much it, outside like 1 or 2 lines. The ending was absolutely terrible as well. I was OK with the movie until then. After the ending, solid 3 or 4 out of 10.

I don't think I can be fucked with it at all - I know what the narrative is going to be already.

This is the first review for the movie I've seen on Sherdog. Was thinking about trying to see it this weekend..

Back