Television AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER Live-Action Series (Renewed for Season 2 and 3)

I'm not really interested in watching this comedy series unless M. Night is involved.

It's that good.

Let me put it this way.

If I had to choose between never having seen The Wire, or never having seen The Last Airbender, I'd choose never having seen The Wire. I was that invested in The Last Airbender.

Bunch of grown men in here talking about cartoons

Embarrassing to say the least

The medium doesn't matter, it's how well the story is told.

A comic book won the Pulitzer Prize.

Yeah... No thanks.

Having the original creators on board gives me hope, but the original series is close to perfection. How are you going to top that?... You aren't.

I'll stick with the original, thanks.

The medium doesn't matter, it's how well the story is told.

A comic book won the Pulitzer Prize.

The Watchman is definitely not a kids cartoon

I see where you are trying to go here but I don't agree.

The Watchman is definitely not a kids cartoon

I see where you are trying to go here but I don't agree.

I'm telling you as someone who has seen pretty much every excellent television show ever made that Avatar is an excellent story, told as well as can possibly be imagined.

This is more than good enough for adult consumption and appreciation.

It can't be done. The fight scenes and movements are gonna be next to impossible. Maybe if they get the crew from Into the Badlands, and even if it looks awesome, the voices will be all wrong, it'll just sound weird.

I'm up for it.

I'd rather they pick up the story where it left off in the old show.

Hope they pull it off better than the terrible M. Night movie version. The animated series was one of the best cartoons ever made and it deserved a better live-action adaptation.

The Follow up Korra series of episodes meanwhile while well animated was overall very disappointing and not memorable.

Update: August 12, 2021

Netflix's AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER Sets Creative Team and Cast for Live-Action Adaptation

avatar_live_action_cast_last_airbender_netflix.jpg

Nearly three years after being picked up straight-to-series, Netflix’s live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender is coming into focus.

A year to the day after original series creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko parted ways with the streaming giant following creative differences (and for a lucrative overall deal with ViacomCBS), Albert Kim (Sleepy Hollow, Nikita) has been tapped to take over as showrunner on the series.

Kim will serve as the central writer on the series and exec produce alongside Dan Lin (The Lego Movie, Aladdin), Lindsey Liberatore (Walker) and Michael Goi (Swamp Thing). Roseanne Liang will direct alongside Goi and Jabbar Raisani.

Gordon Cormier (The Stand) will play Aang, a 12-year-old who happens to be the Avatar, master of all four elements and the keeper of balance and peace in the world. An airbending prodigy, Aang is a reluctant hero, struggling to deal with the burden of his duties while still holding on to his adventurous and playful nature.

Kiawentiio (Rutherford Falls) will portray Katara, a determined and hopeful waterbender, the last in her small village. Though only 14, she’s already endured great personal tragedy, which has held her back from rising to her true potential, though it’s never dimmed her warm and caring spirit.

Ian Ousley (Physical) is set as Sokka, Katara’s resourceful 16-year-old brother who is outwardly confident and he takes his responsibility as the leader of his tribe seriously, despite his inner doubts over his warrior skills … doubts that he masks with his wit and deadpan sense of humor.

Dallas Liu (Shang-Chi, Pen15) takes on the role of Zuko, a skilled firebender and the intense and guarded Crown Prince of the Fire Nation. Currently roaming the world in exile, he’s on an obsessive quest to capture the Avatar because he believes that is the only way to reclaim his life and live up to the demands of his cruel and controlling father, the Fire Lord.

“Authenticity is what keeps us going, both in front of the camera and behind it, which is why we’ve assembled a team unlike any seen before,” Kim wrote in a blog post for Netflix.

After discovering the original Nickelodeon series with his young daughter, Kim fell in love with the franchise and hopes to use his perch as showrunner on the live-action take to “reimagine” and grow the storylines in the beloved franchise while also establishing a “new benchmark in representation.”

“This was a chance to showcase Asian and Indigenous characters as living, breathing people. Not just in a cartoon, but in a world that truly exists, very similar to the one we live in,” Kim said of his vision, while also stressing that there will be surprises for existing fans and those new to the story.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...tflix-live-action-cast-showrunner-1234996517/

Pls don't suck pls don't suck pls don't suck pls don't suck...

But I'm very worried that the animated series creators are no longer part of this project.

I agree, once Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko left this project...my expectations for this took a drastic fall.

I'm up for it.

I'd rather they pick up the story where it left off in the old show.

and i agree, they should follow the books that took place after the show. the original show was perfect the way it is now...why try to further taint it like the movie did

Pls don't suck pls don't suck pls don't suck pls don't suck...

But I'm very worried that the animated series creators are no longer part of this project.

Did they say why they left? Maybe their work was done and they were no longer needed?

Did they say why they left? Maybe their work was done and they were no longer needed?
In short, creative differences. Here's the article from Aug. 12, 2020:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...der-creators-exit-netflix-adaptation-1307085/

Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko said in separate statements Wednesday that they came to believe their creative vision for the show wasn’t being supported. The show, which Netflix ordered in 2018, is still in development at the streamer.

“When Bryan and I signed on to the project in 2018, we were hired as executive producers and showrunners,” DiMartino wrote on his website. “In a joint announcement for the series, Netflix said that it was committed to honoring our vision for this retelling and to supporting us on creating the series. And we expressed how excited we were for the opportunity to be at the helm. Unfortunately, things did not go as we had hoped.”

In his own statement on Instagram, Konitetzko wrote that “there was no follow-through” on Netflix’s pledge to support the creators’ vision for the live-action show. “The general handling of the project created what I felt was a negative and nonsupportive environment,” he said, adding: “To be clear, this was not a simple matter of us not getting our way. Mike and I are collaborative people; we did not need all the ideas to come from us. As long as we felt those ideas were in line with the spirit and integrity of Avatar, we would have happily embraced them. However, we ultimately came to the belief that we would not be able to meaningfully guide the direction of the series.”

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that there were creative differences between DiMartino and Konietzko, Netflix and other creatives throughout the development process over how to adapt the animated series to live action. Those differences ultimately led to the creators’ departure.

In short, creative differences. Here's the article from Aug. 12, 2020:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...der-creators-exit-netflix-adaptation-1307085/

Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko said in separate statements Wednesday that they came to believe their creative vision for the show wasn’t being supported. The show, which Netflix ordered in 2018, is still in development at the streamer.

“When Bryan and I signed on to the project in 2018, we were hired as executive producers and showrunners,” DiMartino wrote on his website. “In a joint announcement for the series, Netflix said that it was committed to honoring our vision for this retelling and to supporting us on creating the series. And we expressed how excited we were for the opportunity to be at the helm. Unfortunately, things did not go as we had hoped.”

In his own statement on Instagram, Konitetzko wrote that “there was no follow-through” on Netflix’s pledge to support the creators’ vision for the live-action show. “The general handling of the project created what I felt was a negative and nonsupportive environment,” he said, adding: “To be clear, this was not a simple matter of us not getting our way. Mike and I are collaborative people; we did not need all the ideas to come from us. As long as we felt those ideas were in line with the spirit and integrity of Avatar, we would have happily embraced them. However, we ultimately came to the belief that we would not be able to meaningfully guide the direction of the series.”

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that there were creative differences between DiMartino and Konietzko, Netflix and other creatives throughout the development process over how to adapt the animated series to live action. Those differences ultimately led to the creators’ departure.

Jesus this is the last thing I wanted to hear. All hope has gone out the window. After what they did to Death Note I have no hope of them doing this show any justice.

This will probably turn out horrible. Some things don't translate well to live action.

Also, didn't they release some news a while back revealing that they made some major changes to the story and several character?

Back