Reina Miura's Single Underhook Throws

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
In preparation for Rizin on New Years Eve, I started watching some footage on "King" Reina Miura. She is a 21 year old Judoka/Sambo fighter, and ultimately suffered her first loss on NYE by controversial split decision to Cindy Dandois.

I must confess I watch a lot of MMA, and it is extremely rare to see throws executed with a single underhook. Yet, Miura has been able to effortlessly throw off of an underhook against all of her opponents. I'm trying to figure out what the hell she's doing that's so special to make these throws look so effortless. Is there something special in her technique? Her short stature? Just opponents who suck? Videos below:

Hits it at 3:50 against Crystal Stokes

Hits it at 9:10 against Cindy Dandois

Hits it at 1:10 against Kristen Handel

Hits it at :52 against Shayna Baszler, and 2:55 against Jazzy Galbert

Hits it at 7:40 and 20:20 against Lei'd Tapa

Its a great technique in wrestling. Hip toss or throw by when they retreat. One thing to be noted is she is hitting this on mainly girls in their mid to late 30's with not a whole lot of real wrestling experience.

I hit this same throw on one of our state champion wrestlers about six years in the wrestling room. To this day I'm surprised. I usually don't feel it being available when wrestling even with less accomplished grapplers.

Something i never understood, why there are so many head and arm throws in women mma while you never see that move in male mma.
They only guy that uses head and arm throws successfully is Cub Swanson.

In my opinion women are built different, their hip bone is completely different from males and their balance is poor.

I want to like Reina, but how the fuck do you lose to Dandois? She has to be one of the worst wmma fighters in the world. She looked like trash in her only ufc fight, it was really embarrassing.

how the fuck do you lose to Dandois? She has to be one of the worst wmma fighters in the world.
Worst in the world, top ten at featherweight.

<2>

In my opinion women are built different, their hip bone is completely different from males and their balance is poor.

You are absolutely right! Women are built different, and their hip bone is completely different.

I just think women, and shorter women can do hip tosses easier because of that.

And to than unbalance. Couple of those juggs bouncing from side to side aren't making the situation any more stabilized.

Its a great technique in wrestling. Hip toss or throw by when they retreat. One thing to be noted is she is hitting this on mainly girls in their mid to late 30's with not a whole lot of real wrestling experience.

What's the proper way to hit a hip toss when they retreat? If they're retreating their momentum is going in the opposite direction from you, but usually to hit a hip toss you'd want them to be pushing into you no?

It's not about the single underhook, it's about trapping their right arm. If you control their arm, you can either grab their head, grab their waist or underhook them.

im more upset i had to watch 3 mins of her eating a lolli pop and standing around to then watch 7 seconds of some pretty average hip throws.

In all the throws in the vids above the opponent is walking onto the hip throw. She often reaps the leg, Harai-goshi style which is tailor made for an opponent that walks onto you. Convert lapel and sleeve from Judo into nogi and you basically end up with underhook and wrist grip.

What's the proper way to hit a hip toss when they retreat? If they're retreating their momentum is going in the opposite direction from you, but usually to hit a hip toss you'd want them to be pushing into you no?
When someone retreats on a hip toss it is usually converted into a throw by and you take their back. She actually did that in one clip.

Back